1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. turbofiat124

    turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

    OK, not Trabant related but thought I'd share some photos with you. The other day I accidentally added too much oil to my lawnmower's engine after doing an oil change. Let's just say if you read something on the internet, it's best to investigate further. Just like that site that says to put 35 PSI in the tires! Wrong!

    Yes there are some B&S engines that require 2 liters of oil. But this one is not one of them!

    It was one of those "DUH" things, where I was in a hurry, not paying attention to what I was doing, too lazy to look for the owner's manual, etc.

    I did not discover this until I was mowing sideways on a hill and all of a sudden a plumb of blue smoke came out of the muffler and the engine started making this knocking sound then died.

    I mowed with it for awhile until I realized how much oil is was actually using and how fast the oil was turning black. Eventually it fouled the spark plug. There was a ton of ash buildup around the electrode. I gave it a quick bead blasting and continued mowing.

    Apparently Briggs and Stratton OHV Intek engines are bad about blowing head gaskets anyway. I think that was what happened.

    I was hoping to finish mulching my leaves one final time before the end of November then replace the head gasket but based on the amount of oil the engine was burning, I decided to go ahead and fix it. Otherwise I might be buying a new engine.

    But here is what amazes me. This is a 21 hp 521 CC single cylinder engine. Hard to believe it's almost the same size and HP as what's in our Trabants. But B&S has been known about lying about how much power their engines actually produce and got sued over it.

    Dad's John Deere mower actually has a 26HP engine in it! HHMMM....

    Look at the massive carbon buildup! Surprisingly the engine ran just as good as before the head gasket blew between the piston and push rod hole!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    I *think* the leak is the crack in the gasket but this may have been from where it pulled apart.

    [​IMG]

    Using a wire brush, #0000 steel wool and carb cleaner two hours later....

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]



    Look at how quickly the oil turned black:

    [​IMG]

    Homemade valve cover gasket out of GoreTex material. Note the long push rods. Intake is hollowed aluminum and exhaust is steel with red painted band. Don't mix them up! Why not just make both out of steel to avoid any confusion?

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Now I am just waiting for my head gasket to arrive. I was hoping to have this project wrapped up by tomorrow but the guy on Ebay has yet to mail my head gasket despite ordering this past Saturday. I sent him a nasty email.

    I called three local part suppliers today to see if anyone had this head gasket but nobody had one in stock! ARRGGHH!!

    I would have thought this would have been a commonly stocked part. Especially since these engines are so bad about blowing.

    If it was some oddball 1970s ONAN, Wisconsin or B&S motor I could understand but this engine is still in production and is only 6 years old.
    michiel76 likes this.
  2. turbofiat124

    turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

    I got it put back together the other day and it seems to be a success. 50% of the work is scraping all that silicone off the valve cover and old head gasket.

Share This Page