1. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

I have just discovered another thing it seems you cannot buy in Norway unless you are a company. Graphite grease. Postage from the UK for three 500g pots of the stuff is nearly forty UK quid. So not realistic to buy some of there unless I happen to be on holiday in the UK with a car.

Would a molybdenum disulphide grease be OK as a stop-gap for greasing the leaf springs on the Trabant until I am able to get hold of some graphite grease?
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

It there some sort of reason you cannot buy it in Norway? Like in other countries like Australia you have to be a licensed AC tech just to recharge your own air conditioning system. Where as in the US you can buy a can of refrigerant at any auto part store or Wal-Mart and do it yourself.

I have not been able to find Castrol rubber grease anywhere in the US. Not even that local British auto repair shop knew where they could get it. So I've been using a silicone based valve and O-ring lubricant made by Dow Corning on my brake seals.

I've actually got as can of this stuff called Pene... something or another. It comes in an orange can. It appears to be a graphite based spray lubricant that works really well. I've never greased my leaf springs with it though. I figured it would make a god awful mess. Mine don't squeak but is there a good reason to lubricate the leaf springs?
  3. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Norway is a very closed and very small market. You basically need to have a registered business to be able to buy from trade wholesalers (unlike in the UK or Holland). I wanted to get some thin wall steel tubing 10mm and 13mm diameters for a bike rack project. I could not find anyone who sells the stuff in Norway. A friend who is a registered plumber with his own business sold me some 10mm hydraulic system tubing. Thick wall but OK for prototyping. In contrast there are lots of metal suppliers in Britain, Holland and Germany who not only sell what I want but also have webshops where you can order materials. I found one place in Norway that does a molybdenum disuphite/graphite grease but it does not have a retail web shop just for B2B. The grease is listed for use with slow moving gears for large machinery. Apparently they do also sell to private individuals but I have to phone them to see how much it costs. I expect it to be rather expensive.

I can get Penrite graphite grease for a reasonable price in Germany but to ameliorate the postage and the Eur 15 administration charge when the package comes across the border I will end up ordering either one (no admin charge) or three of them. Sigh, I chose to live in Norway but it still irks me sometimes. Maybe it is time to move, buy a small holding in Eastern Germany and start collecting old cars in earnest.
  4. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Apparently molybdenum disuphide grease is a suitable alternative and will exceed the performance of graphite grease.
  5. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Yes. They will wear more, rust and won't work as well if you don't lubricate them. The leaves need to be able to slide over each other as the wheels go up and down.
  6. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

The front leaf spring on my Trabant started creaking after I changed the tyres today. It must be a combination of the hot dry weather we have had in the last week and the springs reaching the bottom of their travel for the first time in a while. The night before we plan to go to the "Treff til tusen" meet about 2 hours drive from here. I cleaned and greased the leaves that I could get to easily without dismantling anything and it seems to have done the trick. Time to clear up and then a cuppa and bed.
  7. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

I jacked my Trabant up a while back and let the front leaf spring hang low. In between the leaves I sprayed white lithium grease as best I could. Seems to have done a good job penetrating the hidden areas. The red rust on the springs is gone, the springs look rust free now, with no more slight creaking when I push up and down on the body to see if the spring will make any noise.
  8. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

I jacked up the front wheels in turn and I used a crowbar and a flat cold chisel to open and hold apart the leaves. I then used a paint brush to push the grease between the leaves.

I've never had a car with leaf springs before so it is easy to forget that they need maintaining whereas coil springs or torsion bars generally don't.
  9. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Really cheap properties south of Berlin in county Elbe-Elster, Oberspreewald Lausitz, Dahme-Spreewald. 8000sm land with dilapidated houses for under €30,000.