1. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Otherwise I have it rebuilt (do I need specific parts too rebuild or are generic parts available?) Or I go the a.c. Delco route.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I sold Justin the 12 volt alternator that came off my spare engine but he told me he had to have it rebuilt anyway. I think he said the guy who rebuilt it found the parts for it over here.

I'd go the AC Delco route!

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Trabant/6 volt alternator?sort=2&page=1

The cheapest way to go is to order this bracket below:

https://www.steinertractor.com/ABC4...IXSInbs4IkFoZWLSEVXY74-8qvQtG168aAnl1EALw_wcB

Then buy a 3 wire alternator from Advance Auto or NAPA, wherever to fit anything GM from the 1970s. You really don't need anything bigger than 60 amps. The reason for the 3 wire alternator was apposed to the 1 wire is if the V-belt breaks or comes off, the battery indicator lamp will come on. However I learned from a recent experience if the belt does come off, the engine will all of a sudden rev up like it goes full throttle so you will know it. Or seems to anyway. That was my fault which involved not getting the fan seated properly with that alignment peg/hole.

You'll need one of these upper brackets:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...aV3x7YmZfpWUSrCXM3kaAidNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then cut off what you don't need and redrill the hole and use some flat washers to space it out. I still have the cardboard template I made if you want me to email it to you or measure how much I cut off.

Wiring is easy.
  3. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

ACDelco it is
  4. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Thanks again for the input. I'll get your heater exhaust out your way yet...just bought a house and things are a bit chaotic
  5. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Do you have to use the voltage rectifier with the AC Delco or does the alternator have one built in? I see from your pictures your rectifier is still mounted on the firewall.
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

If you can find a lucas 16ACR it mounts more or less perfectly on the existing trabi brackets and looks pretty stock What exactly is wrong with your alternator ? The bearings are cheap standard and if it is just the brushes worn they only cost a couple of euros for new
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  7. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

I haven't tested the alternator yet, it just stops running when I pull the negative battery cable off the car and I only have 12.24v coming off the battery when it's running. I'm going to run more diagnostics tonight but this is my only car and I commute 25 miles each way, so a rebuild will have to wait for a weekend.
  8. turbofiat124

It might just be the regulator. Is it internal or external? If external you might be able to use one from another car. Just a matter of figuring out the wiring.
  9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I seem to remember the regulator /brush unit unplugs from the rear of alternator and a new reg unit or brushes can be bought from usual suppliers . If it's the windings gone ( less likely) then better to look for a complete new unit either american or british
  10. turbofiat124

I've heard a Bosch or Iskra will fit a Trabant. I have several Iskra 45 amp alternators from Yugos but I sold the mounts along with the alternator off my spare engine to Justin. So I have no way of checking to see if one would fit.

Years ago (like 1970s, 1980s) the thing to do in the US was to install an AC Delco in place of a Bosch or Lucas. Because a new AC Delco was about $20 compared to a Bosch or Lucas that sold for $150 to $200. Another good example are those Bosch ignition control modules used on Yugos, VWs, Audis, etc. They were well over $100 but a GM HEI control module will work just as good. I have one on my Yugo right now.

A guy I know told me Fiat brake pads would cost 10 times what a set for an American car would sell for. Somehow he figured out a set from a Mazda would fit by filing the mounting slots down a bit.
  11. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

My 353 has a 12 volt DC dynamo fitted . It's only 220 watts and i was going to fit a Lucas alternator i had spare but the dynamo seems to charge the car fine so i have left it
  12. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

I'll pull the alternator this weekend. The alternator has an internal rectifier.
  13. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Yes internal but it just unplugs from rear ( very easy to remove)
  14. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade