1. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

Guys, some calles me stupid, some crazy. I'm planning my drive in the 2013 power tour with my 87 Trabi Kombi. My trbi is currently in Hungary getting painted and prepaired for the drive. My partner in the drive will be the presidet of the Hungarian Trabi/Wartburg club.

More info of the tour here:

Www.hotrod.com

Or

http://www.familyevents.com/event/229

Some guys just come along to one or two stops.

Any one interested?
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I'm going to move this to car shows, post more information when you have it :)
  3. Bountyflyer

Just some update on the tour. I'm headig to Hungary in March to pick up a rally Trabi. It's a fully prepaired rally car. It's been in the rally races for the last 10 years. The Driver/owner will join me on the Power tour as well as the Hungarian Trabi/Warburg Club president. We will take my 71 Buick wagon with a trailer behind it and will tow the rally trabi with it. Once get close to a destination city will take it off the trailer. It would be too much to drive the little thing for 3000 miles...
    After the race I'll inherate the car, this will be the retirement from the dusty dirt roads...

Here is the car in action:

Meanwhile the paint job is just finished on my vintage looking Trabi Wagon. Planning on a long roadtrip thru Europe next year and finally will bring it home after that.
  4. Justin

If you'd be up for bringing back an extra, good running, engine let me know. I could drive to Houston and come get it from you
  5. Bountyflyer

Whats wrong with yours? I probably could bring some parts to fix yours. As I wroote, I'm going there next month..
  6. Justin

I'M not sure what is wrong with it that is the problem. I figured if there was a decent engine over there that could be brought back cheap I'd happily do that and come to Houston to get it
  7. Bountyflyer

I'm booked up with Barkas parts on the way back... But I'm pretty sure that I could make your trabi run again. Did we talked on the phone before?
  8. Bountyflyer

I just talked to the president of the Trabi club in Hungary. He told me some info what I didn't know before, and others in the forum should be aware of this as well! If your engine doesn't have spark, but has electronic ignition, I'm almost certain that I can fix it. If you use ANY coil other then the original DDR coil made for electronic ignition (not for points) it will burn up your electronic ignition in less then a few hours. Also if you are using the incorrect plug wire without the correct end what has the correct resistor on it, agin the ignition unit will burn up. What I can help you with is if you send me the broken electronic unit (top and bottom part), I'll take it to Hungary and exchange it for a rebuilt unit, plus my friends will find you two correct coils and wires in a junk yard. The coils have to have the right date stamped on them to work with the electronic ignition, or the unit will burn up in a hurry. New coils are not availabe unless you find them on the German Ebay. Please take your coils out and take a picture of the stamp on the bottom of them. If it doesn't show a date like 89/4 or something like it and doesn't say DDR on it then we got an answer! Let me know... Peter
  9. Justin

I have the aftermarket Electronic ignition on it. We have talked on the phone before, I am in San Antonio.​

If you had an opportunity to come see the car before you go back to Hungary, that might be most helpful.​

I am thinking that there may be other issues outside of lack of spark.​
  10. Bountyflyer

What makes you think that? Did you run it without oil? Is the compression too low? Or does it makes strange noises when cranked? If the compression is ok, and it turns around but no spark, the first thing I would do is fix the spark. Then change the needle valve over the float. That goes bad from the ethanol. Does the carburetor gets fuel? Is the fuel valve clogged up? You can check all these, but if there are no spark, and you trying to use incorrect coils with the wrong plug wires, nothing will work... Did you check the coils for stamp on the bottom of them? It sounds to me that you just gave up! It's not that hard. If I got the correct ignition I probably could figure out the rest. Send me the burned up unit (top part and bottom part) and I'll exchange it for a good one. We will be in your area in June, if everything failes, we could come by to check it out.
  11. Bountyflyer

We are on the Power Tour with the Trabi, it's super busy, I'll post some pictures soon, but until then you can follow our daily progress on my little website: www.unsaferacing.com

Cheers!
  12. Keri

Keri Leader

You did know that Route 66 starts at Chicago?

You could begin at the Haymarket Memorial, scoot over to Ogden Avenue which turns into Route 66 and proceed all the way to California....

Alternately, why not start in California and head back to Chicago?

You could finish at the "start" of Route 66 and then scoot over to the Haymarket Memorial!
    No-one has ever done THAT in a Trabant yet...
  13. Bountyflyer

Keri, that is technically incorrect. There were a group of East Germans who have shipped their Trabies to the US and did Route 66 all the way and back then shipped their Trabies back. I've been on the whole road but backwards.... First from LA to Oklahoma City in a 91 Buick Wagon, then an other time from OKC to Chicago in a 56 Buick wagon. After Chicago we went on the Flint, (Back to the bricks) and Woodward Ave (what was a once in a life time mess of 30 000 cars carshow)

So yes, I did it backwards and yes I know where Route 66 goes. It was real nice in Oklahoma and Ilinois!

This time we had no time to do this. The guys wanted to just see a part of it and drive on it. This is why we we t to Amarillo.... I did an areal shot o the Cadillac ranch with my RC plane! And of the little Trabi on Route 66!
  14. Keri

Keri Leader

Cool!
    I love being wrong about things like this! :p
  15. Justin

Bountyflyer, I got your message, sorry I wasn't able to get back to you on it, or go for that matter. I have been beyond busy lately. Perhaps next year!
  16. Bountyflyer

Well, Guys, I'm happy to report that yesterday in Hoover AL we've beat most of the cars at the motorcross on the Power Tour! Most of the cars were running 41-43 seconds, our best time was 40.3!!! A super overly tunned Toyota Supra made 42, only one Corvette made better time. It looked like if you multiply the HP by 20 then they may made better time then the Trabi. People took notice, and tonight when we showed up at the evening Coker Tire factory car show, almost all the participants knew about how fast the little car was!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Justin likes this.
  17. Bountyflyer

18. Justin

I shared this on the facebook and twitter feeds also :)