1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

It's amazing the people you run into when you own a Trabant.

So I'm leaving for work today and stopped at the mailbox to check for mail when this guy in a Hyundai slows down grinning and rubber necking at my car. He pulls into my neighbor's driveway across the street and runs over. He tells me he had seen my car around town but thought he was hallucinating. He called his wife to tell her that it was in fact a Trabant he saw.

He said his name was Otto and he grew up in Czechoslovakia and his parents owned a light blue Trabant and he was amazed to see one here in East Tennessee.

He snapped a photo to send back to his parents in the Czech republic. I thought that was cool.

Then I stopped by the gas station to get some smokes when another guy said, "Is that a Hillman?" Then another guy said "Your's is the 3rd one of those I've ever seen".

And I have no idea why this story seems the same but someone always tells me, "My gym teacher had one of these back in the 1960s". Why gym teachers from the 1960s drove Hillmans, Simcas and Fiat 1100s I have no idea. Maybe they didn't get paid as much as other teachers. Those mentioned cars seem to be the most mistaken makes when it comes to Trabants.

Attached Files:

Wartburg353W likes this.
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

You shoulda just put on a knowing look and said, "you are hallucinating, man."