vdubbin Loyal Comrade

This one ?
    [​IMG]
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Yes! Are you claiming it's yours? :)
  4. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Afraid not, (I'm about 3,000 miles away) but I wanted to see if anyone else recognised the car...
  5. Wartburg353W

The Auto Union 1000 next to it is pretty awesome too!
  6. Luke

Luke Loyal Comrade

That is actually my Trabant (I am the one in the white shirt to the left).
  7. Wartburg353W

Nice car Luke. What's its backstory? Did you import it?
  8. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Great! Are there many Trabants in Mass.?
  9. Luke

Luke Loyal Comrade

Thanks, I imported the car 4 years ago from Bremerhaven Germany. It was on eBay and the buy it now price included shipping to a number of US ports, the closest to me being Baltimore, Maryland. Once it arrived there it was shipped to my home. And a bit over a year ago I was able to register it in Connecticut. As for Massachusetts, I don't think there are too many (if any) Trabants there, but I take mine to this show every July.
    trabant601 likes this.
  10. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Just curious. What was the total cost to have it shipped to the US?
  11. Luke

Luke Loyal Comrade

The buy it now price was $3500 and included shipping to Baltimore, and a number of other US ports.
    trabant601 likes this.
  12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

that is a bargain for just a running example. a nice one too boot and that is a steal. Imports to the Great Lakes put us back 3K alone for shipping.
  13. Luke

Luke Loyal Comrade

Thanks, I always figured I was paying more for the shipping than the car was worth to the seller. Plus seeing what is out there on ebay.de without shipping costs included. When did you import your Trabant?
  14. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

My first one was bought Dec. 1989 and cleared customs Feb. 1990. I paid $350 shipping from Hamburg to Davisville, RI. Those were the days shipping for only double what I paid for the car. Then the prices of the cars went down to free and the shipping prices went up until the last one I imported at over $3000 shipping. Part of the reason is i decided to import to Lake Michigan for several of them after a bad overland delivery from New York. It costs more for the lakes, probably more for the west coast too. I always used lift on lift off to the lakes and roro for the east coast. In the mean time running cars are still cheap but most won't pay that for the shipping so they stay in Europe. I have purchased 3 Trabants in the USA, all of them a tiny fraction of what the shipping alone would cost me.
  15. Luke

Luke Loyal Comrade

Wow, did you purchase any of the USA Trabants from Maryland by any chance?
  16. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

No, GA, PA, and MO. The GA Trabant is my only Kombi, not a driver yet (not even or ever close since I acquired), PA Trabant is elsewhere in IN now (sold to an enthusiast who restored it and made it work), and the MO is the one listed as Member No. 1 in Trabantusa.com (it is my best driver right now).
  17. Luke

Luke Loyal Comrade

Alright, good to know you've got one as a driver.
    trabant601 and Wartburg353W like this.
  18. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Wartburg knows I have some more not so much drivers too.
  19. Luke

Luke Loyal Comrade

Oh, just curious, do you ever drive your Trabant(s) on the highway/freeway? Just wondering for when I start getting into farther trips with my Trabant.
  20. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I never see any other Trabants on the road but I know that Kerry drives her Trabant to work all the time. I do drive on the expressway. I have been known to drive Interstate 80/94 to and from Hammond. I also drive Interstate 65 from time to time. Around town drives are more regular. You might find me at any number of small car shows, which I either participate in, just for fun, or just show up and park nearby, attracting attention away from the expensive custom and "restored" cars.