1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. biertje

biertje Puttering Along

So put my trabant in for an MoT yesterday, 2 months early so I could get all the necessary repairs sorted in time. Took them a while to figure out how to drive it, but was in there for a good 70 mins which got me worried. Mechanic came out and said "good news or bad" to which my response was "well I know it's failed" and he replied "nope sailed straight through, just a few oil leaks from the diff is all"
    So a lesson to us all, have a little faith in our DDRmobiles :)
  2. d0mokun

d0mokun Newbie

That's good news!

Mine is due for its first MoT in a week (ish). Are there any specific concerns that you addressed before taking her, or was it just a case of the usual checks and just keeping fingers crossed? Was the garage familiar with a Trabi? The main concern (other than the car) I've got with mine going in is that the garage won't be familiar with a first-time MoT on a classic car.

Thanks
    Dan.
  3. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

You might need to remind garage that ALL two stroke engines are completely exempt from emissions testing. If your trabant is a late model you're supposed to fit rear seat belts after 1986 and side repeaters after 1987 . You might get away with this ( many people do ) It depends how competent the MOT examiner is
  4. d0mokun

d0mokun Newbie

Aha, thanks- I shall keep that in mind. Mine is a 1979 car, so hopefully shouldn't need too much fettling.

Dan.
  5. biertje

biertje Puttering Along

They were totally unfamiliar with the trabant. I think that's probably one of the reasons that it passed with only 1 mark against it. They probably didn't understand most of it so didn't want to lose face :) I didn't even hear them check the horn operation.
    Did you pass?
  6. d0mokun

d0mokun Newbie

Mine hasn't been yet! Busy cleaning my engine bay up and doing a bit of welding prep.

Dan.
  7. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Went for its mot a couple of weeks ago I had to drive it for them and work the controls they found it strange but liked it,it passed and is now on the road smoking along ,kev
  8. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

9. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I always find it hard to believe most American states have no safety checks on vehicles. They seem paranoid about emissions but not about cars with faulty brakes etc . I wonder how many americans are killed each year by dangerous/unroadworthy vehicles
  10. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Tennessee doesn't even check pollution unless you live in metro Nashville or Memphis. One cold morning I was driving my Trabant to work and was stopped at a red light. I noticed a police car behind me. It was still smoking and the police officer was doing his best to get around me to pass me!

Your right, there are allot of cars that don't need to be on our roads. That doesn't mean if your driving around with a cracked windshield or busted tail lamp or burned out headlamp, the police won't write you a ticket for infractions.

Sometimes I wonder if the police use this to their advantage. If you've ever watched some of our police shows like "Cops". They can spot a drug user's car a mile away but need a reason to stop them. So if they see a tail light out or something else, they pull them over. Then say, "Are there any drugs in your car". Most of the time they say no. You have the right to refuse but they will detain you for hours until a drug sniffing dog arrives. So usually they just give in.
  11. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

We do have safety checks on vehicles, but it depends on the state. Massachusetts has theirs once a year, New Hampshire has it (last I knew) twice a year. Both states are pretty tough on things like brakes, tires, lamps, and body rot. Different states have different philosophies.
  12. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

any 1 up on uk M.O.T. law i need to put my p50 in for mot it is 1960 No seat belts at all yellow brake lights. head lamp's set up for left hand drive no hazards lights
  13. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

In the UK pre 1965 cars don't have to have seat belts, or hazard lights. Brake lights should be red not yellow. Headlamps should dip to the left. If they are right dipping you should cover up the patterned area in the centre of the glass with black tape. Or do what I did and fit Morris Minor H4 headlamps
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  14. kev the builder

I also use morris minor headlamps they fit in the buckets correctly
  15. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

grate help guy's i am going to invest in morris headlamps. I would like to keep the yellow brake lights as are factory fitted will try to cover them for the M.O.T.
  16. kev the builder

You could try a light coat of red paint on the inside of the lenses they will still be yellow on the outside but show red when lit up
  17. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I don't think it's supposed to have yellow brake lights . . . . Could they be wired incorrectly?
  18. barrie

barrie Puttering Along

all the p50's only come with yellow light cluster
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Wartburg353W likes this.
  19. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Or fit red bulbs for the brakes/side lights