1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. Erik

Erik Newbie

Hi!

Recently I had to replace my ignition coils. I replaced them with two Beru ZS106 's. And I also replaced the wiring, copied the original exactly but now I'm getting 0 sparks. :(:(

I made a drawing of the wiring and it seems a bit off because the + and the - are directly connected, but then I thought maybe they need to be hooked up in series? The ESE also looks fine to me and everything worked before I replaced the coils :/

Its a Trabant 601, original everything except the new coils. Can someone help me out?

Kxxnipsel.JPG
    Knipsel.JPG Knipytsel.JPG
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Yor EBZA box look fried. look right above the 4 red things. mine looked like that around two of them, and there was no spark on one cylinder. :)

Your wiring is not correct. There is a blue/black wire from ignition lock to + on one coil a jumper wire to + on the other coil, along with the black wire from the EBZA box.
    The green goes on - on coil. no. 1 and the white on - on coil no.2 :)

Throw those resistors in the trash, they only dampen radio interference, and you will have plenty of that anyway. :D
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  3. Erik

Erik Newbie

Hey! Thanks, so this wiring diagram should work? And how do I make sure which one is coil no.1 and no.2, or can I just hook up randomly the white wire on one and the green wire on the other? (Just to be sure ;))

And Oof! I had the same problem, one of the plugs didn't spark anymore. But I figured it had to be the coil because there was a lot of oxidation in the wire hole and they where very old, so it made sense. Maybe it was the Ebza all along, is there a way of measuring the red (resistors?) on the ebza that you know of? And where to get a new one?

Thanks again!
    Knipsel.JPG
  4. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

You can get a new one from the gernam stores, trabantwelt, LDM-tuning, or danzer autoteile, or maybe someone here have a spare they dont need. :)
    I have a spare but dont really want to sell it since i use the trabi as daily driver, so keeping a spare on hand will keep the one in the car from crapping out. :)
    doesn't matter which one is no. 1 or 2 in the first place. if it turns over, and have spark, swich them round and it should start. :)
    I think there is a guide in the "tech help articles" to test the EBZA box and sensor on the crank. :)
  5. Erik

Erik Newbie

Thanks for the help Mati! Got him running again :D