1. Tim S

Tim S Just Slow, Not Stalin Forum Donor

Hello,

I just fulfilled an almost lifetime dream of getting my own Trabant. And ironically I purchased it on German Reunification day!

I've been searching for years and was thrilled when a nice 601s Deluxe showed up locally.
    I had never driven a Trabi before yesterday but jumped right into it by driving 70+ miles from where purchased back to my home. Talk about diving into the deep end of the pool! Though initially apprehensive about driving that far we made the trip unscathed while I was grinning from-ear-to-ear the whole trip! I love it. The most fun I have ever had driving a car.

I have been lurking on these forums for some time but will now be digging for as much info as I can.

Any initial advice for a newbie? Anything particular to look/check for in my new darling? Particular parts to keep on hand or search out?

Thanks all,
    Tim
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Moderator

Tim,
    Where do you call home?
    Always hopeful for another Trabi in the Midwest.
  3. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Loyal Comrade

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of the Trabant, a world which is like no other. Carry spark plugs, fan belts and always keep at least a hand's breadth of fuel in the tank.
    Keri likes this.
  4. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

welcome yes what part of the usa
    Tim S likes this.
  5. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Moderator

I think Tim updated his profile.
    Looks like Washington State
    Tim S likes this.
  6. RogerDerSchrauber

I've seen pics of a bunch of older Trabis in Washington state. I wonder if he bought one of them.
    Tim S likes this.
  7. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

welcome
    Tim S likes this.
  8. Braxton

Braxton Newbie

Hey guys I'm looking for a trabant to restore i have 200$ cash right now but I'm still saving whale looking for a trabi maybe someone could help?
  9. RogerDerSchrauber

You're looking for Trabant in the USA for around $800 with little or no rust? I wish you luck in your search. Somewhere on this site (do some digging) there are posts or threads about a guy in Maryland who has a whole slew of them for sale, but I think they need lots of work.

Otherwise, start saving your money and buy a nice one that doesn't need any work (yet).
    Braxton likes this.
  10. Where ? How to find one ?
  11. RogerDerSchrauber