1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
?

Do you pre-mix your fuel for two strokes

1. Yes i premix

30.8%
  2. no i add oil then petrol separetely

69.2%
  1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Sorry if this has been covered before .I was curious ,how many premix the fuel and how many just pour in oil and then slosh petrol on top. Being lazy i usually use second approach
  2. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Another thought is there any difference between adding first oil then petrol or adding first petrol then oil
  3. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

I keep a 20 litre jerry can in the boot (it fits perfectly, can't be a coincidence!), and fill that in situ at the petrol station. Once home I then add the 400ml of oil, give it a swish around and pour it in the tank. Once the jerry can is empty and the fuel tank about half way down, I fill up again.
  4. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

In the three years I've owned my Trabant I think I've only filled it up at the pump twice.

I typically fill one of those oil ratio bottles like this one to the 5 gallon/40:1 mark then add some fuel fragrance to it. Then dump it into a 5 gallon jerry can.

[​IMG]

Then fill it up with non ethanol gas. Then transfer it into 1 gallon fruit punch containers. Then pour it into the gas tank as I need it. Usually at half a tank.

I got tired of converting back and fourth between liters and US gallons using the factory dipstick I made my own out of a shipping container seal:

[​IMG]
  5. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Life's too short for premixing! :D I generally see how much it needs, figure out how much 2 stroke is required, add that, then add the fuel after, so it mixes better.
    Or, realising that I've only a limited supply of 2stroke oil, see how much fuel I can treat with that, and drive home on a wing and a prayer...
    scarrabri, Wartburg353W and Keri like this.
  6. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Oil first, then fuel on top. should be plenty mixed when going over the curb out if the fuel station. :D
    RogerDerSchrauber and Keri like this.
  7. Keri

Keri Leader

For about 69,000 km, I used this proceedure:
    Turn off fuel valve
    put in oil first,
    fuel second, using the pressurized fuel nozzle to slosh things around in a circular swirl.

After switching to BlueMax 100:1 aviation oil (at 80:1) , I changed this proceedure slightly.

BlueMax recommends premixing the full amount of oil into a gallon of fuel before adding the remaining fuel.
    This proceedure is recommended because BlueMax contains no solvents to aid mixing.

I compromised, and do it this way:
    Turn off fuel valve
    add the oil to the remaining fuel in the tank,
    stir with the fuel gauge, then
    slosh with high velocity fuel as usual.

It is important to shut the fuel valve first, as some of the heavier oil can migrate down the fuel line before mixing.
    This would cause much smoke after pulling out of the gas station and a somewhat lean oil to fuel ratio.

This modified proceedure has been working OK for 8,000km or so.
  8. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Ahh the main reason for my post was that once for the first 1/4 mile after i filled up there was a lot of smoke ,the oil must have gone to bottom of tank. (Wartburg not trabant) Thanks Keri
  9. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

I heartily agree life's too short, just pour in the oil and then fill the tank with gas from the pump. Also I don't care to drive around with smelly messy gas cans in the trunk all the time.
  10. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Yesterday I got my Trabant out for the first time since the car show in DC. I've been using a *new* starting technique by first cranking over the engine then slowing pulling out the "fuel enrichment valve" until the engine starts.

Yesterday it started OK but there was an unusual amount of blue smoke as I left my driveway. Worse than what my lawnmower was making when it had a blown headgasket.

Any chance that 2 cycle oil and gasoline will separate and the oil will sink to the bottom if it sits for a few weeks? I run 100% gasoline. I don't trust running E10 in a two cycle engine.

Also my Tomos TX-50 and my pocket bike both have been hard to start and requires a shot of ether to get going. I've been using Opti-2 100:1 in those engines.

Normally before I fill my weedwacker, leafblower, hedgetrimmer I shake my 1 gallon can before filling them up. I haven't been having any issues with those engines starting.