1. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

I have been contemplating painting my 601s, My question concerns duroplast. is there any particular additive used for duroplast adhesion, and is a flex additive usually added to the duroplast panels
    Also, if possible I would like to remove the duroplast panels and paint them as seperate components, is this possible?
    Thanks
    Michael
  2. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

I wouldn'tremove any panels! Those are rivited and glued on. Painting on duriplast is not an easy task. The way the parts came out of the press that they were paintable right away without any sanding. The original paint was nitro based and was very thin. I would try different primers on a spare pace and see the results...
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I'm going to have to remove the panels on mine. There is rust lurking behind them. I've never removed them but from what I've read it's not that difficult. The hardest thing is prying the panels from the metal. However if they have never been removed then chances are the stuff has dried and and is brittle and will separate easy. Mine has already started to crack and fall apart.

The seam sealer looks like a latex caulk. Which is what I plan on using.
  4. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Can't say I've painted any duroplast, but I can certainly confirm that they come off easy enough, few screws and rivets under the wheel arches to drill out, nae bother!
    Keri likes this.
  5. Keri

Keri Leader

The "caulk" used at the factory looks very much like putty tape, available at many hardware stores.

Putty tape is often used on the panels of motor homes, in much the same way as Trabi fenders.
    It seals well and is easy to remove!

putty tape.jpg

If Trabi fenders are attached with adhesive caulk, then it could get ugly unless the adhesive has deteriorated.
  6. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

Keri got it! It should be a "never" drying playdough substance. If you end up using silicone, you will never be able to paint your car again.

Removing panels are easy and help a lot in treating corrosion. Once cossosion has been treated I would paint the metal with 2 komponent primer. Don't forget, it will cure for at least 3 days. Even if the primer dry or feels dry it will still shrink for 2-3 days. Before painting a car after the last primer layer I always wait a week in between.
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I'll give that stuff a shot Keri. Sounds much easier than using latex caulk. My idea was to apply it to one lip of the panel, bolt everything together them wipe it off with a wet rag.

By the way. This stuff is the bees knees:

http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator-27490.html

I've been using this stuff for ages and it is the best stuff to paint over top of rust and it won't come back. That's what I'm going to use on the inside panels of my Trabant.

POR-15 is good too but I've never had much luck painting over top of it. I used it on the underside of the doors and hatch on my Yugo.

But the paint wanted to "fish eye". I even tried spraying primer over top of it while still wet and even the primer fish eyed.

I was told I didn't follow the directions but even once the Eastwood's stuff is dry you can hit it with just about any kind of primer and it will stick it to.