1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Anybody going to the parade of Trabants this year? Last year I had to bail out at the last minute doing to extreme dizzy spells. I thought it was a tooth infection but the EN&T doctor says it's a condition called Meniere's disease. But has not cropped out in several months so hopefully it won't hit me again.

Just wondering if the same gang that was staying at the hotel last year was going again.
  2. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

I'll be there. I think my dad will too. I hope to bring my Barkas, but need to resolve my issue with fourth gear first. I don't know where we will stay, but we had discussed a hotel in Arlington that seemed good.
  3. turbofiat124

It was probably just as well. My 4th gear freewheel device finally gave up the ghost about that same time I was going to the show. So I guess it would good I didn't go.
  4. Bill Overbaugh

You've got that sorted out, as I remember, right?
  5. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

I have been looking at the dates and work. Trying to work out the logistics with the wife to see if we can make it this year. I would really love to go.
  6. turbofiat124

Yeah. Hopefully the rotten sills will hold up until then. ;)

Luckily I am on my seven days off that month so I won't have to take any vacation time to go.
  7. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

what is the exact dates this year, i may make it but car will stay home on the south west
  8. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

I think the official date is November 7th. It's the first Saturday in November. Talked to the wife and it looks like we are in! Just have to start lookin at a hotel and trailer arrangements.
  9. Bill Overbaugh

Caleb (and all) TNTrabi and I are going to do some legwork on the hotel next week. Well try to get a hotel block lined up. Typically, people will make arrangements at s Maryland hotel and a Virginia one, for folks coming from the north or the south/west
  10. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Ok cool. I know we typically look at the Holiday Inn hotels as we have a points card with them but if you all are able to find something with more of a group rate or something that would be great.
  11. Bill Overbaugh

The trick is getting something close that can also accommodate 8-10 trailers. We've got a plan though
  12. turbofiat124

Last year there was an issue with a certain hotel because they just had a parking garage but TnTrabbi was able to find a different one to accommodate trailers which was within a few miles of the museum. Unfortunately I had to bail out at the last minute due to my ear problem.

I'd like to be close to the museum but on the same token stay somewhere that has good parking but I don't know if that's even possible in DC. I don't feel comfortable driving on the beltway for any length of time (in anything for that matter) from my uncle's house in Maryland.

Other than New York City, I believe Philadelphia is one of the most non car friendly car cities I've driven in. Having to pay $20 an hour to park. I wanted to see more of Philly but could not even find a parking spot if I wanted to! So we just had to drive around looking at the sites. My wife and I had to eat at the King of Prussia mall just to get a meal because that was the only place in town that had parking!

I just about had a nervous breakdown driving through NYC back in 1996 in my Fiat Spider.
  13. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

I hope to attend this year as well.
  14. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

15. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Anybody have any updated information about hotels or ideas/plans? My wife and I will actually be going into DC on Thursday night (11/5) and spending Friday in the city so we will be staying at a hotel Thursday night, Friday night, and most likely Saturday night unless we decide to leave late Saturday afternoon and drive well into the night. We have not picked a hotel yet as I was waiting for more info from others going or who have been because I understand parking, especially with trailers, can be an issue.
  16. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

I have spoken with the Hilton hotel and they are sending info this evening. I got a rate of $89 per night. I will pass along more info when I get it.
  17. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

18. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Looks like a pretty good deal Jonathan!
  19. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

That's great @TNTrabi ! Thanks for taking care of that. Is this where some people stayed last year? Does anyone know the parking situation, especially with trailers? I know its still a ways off but my wife is a detailed planner when it comes to trips so I am trying to get all the info I can. Hilton's site says parking is $18 but doesnt really say anything about the amount of space available or if they have parking for large vehicles / trailers.
  20. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

Thanks TNtrabi. The accommodations at this hotel last year were perfect for our needs. A short Trabi ride to the museum. Parking for our Trabants right on site in the underground parkhaus, although when we all started up I am surprised we didn't set off any smoke alarms. Nice little sports pub next door for adult beverages or soda pop.

We parked our cars and trailers about two/three blocks away at the school which was closed for the weekend. I do note if you arrive early on Friday before school is out you could find parking on the street next to the school parking lot. You can leave them there or move it into the school parking lot after school is out and the teachers leave. Check in first and the hotel will give you directions to the school and a sign (permit) to put on your car/truck dash to allow you to park in the school parking lot.

See you all there.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015