1. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

I did notice that on the link to the hotel it says that the rate for the rooms is good until October 16 or until they sell out.
  2. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

I shall be returning this year again, possibly with the wife, and some other German friends! I really need a new steering rack though...
  3. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I don't know if I will be there, I want to be...but flights plus hotel aren't necessarily feasible right now...paying off the vaca we just took.
  4. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

5. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Out of curiosity how many people think they will be staying at the Hilton that @TNTrabi was able to arrange? As I said before I will be in DC a day earlier so I think we will probably stay at a different hotel Thursday night since that night wont be part of the special rate and then stay at the Hilton the rest of the time. I was just wondering how many of us would be there. Was looking forward to meeting everybody.
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I was curious if this was a good neighborhood. Anybody get their tow vehicles stolen or broken into?

Since my Meniere's disease (so the doc says) is now under control and have not had any attacks since I've been taking the prescribed vitamins, I won't have to bail out at the last minute like I did last year. So hopefully I'll be there.

My wife wants to do some site seeing around DC which I am not too fond of considering I'd be towing a car. I'd rather do that on a different day. In something smaller.

I told her remember the our trip to Philly for the Fiat show? How bad parking was and how we had to eat at the food court at the King of Prussia mall because there was no parking in the downtown area? Now imagine trying find parking for a full size van with a Trabant behind it....
  7. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Turbo, ride the Metro to sightsee. Or I've always been able to park without a problem at the Reagan Building, if you ditch the trailer.
  8. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

I've made my reservations at Hilton Garden Inn for Nov 6th & 7th!!!
    Caleb likes this.
  9. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

Booked the Hilton as well! Should get there Friday evening.....
    Caleb likes this.
  10. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

Spoke with the hotel today, as of now, there are 4 reservations confirmed. He did say the if anybody needed more days/nights that he will accomodate them and there is no charge for trailer parking. Brian, the manager, is a super guy to work with. If anybody has questions, you can contact him by calling the hotel.
  11. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Make that 5!
  12. turbofiat124

Will confirm with my parents if they are coming with me before making reservations.

By the way. I was looking at some photos of past shows on someone's Flickr album. I saw a bunch of kids in one of the photos. Do they have an activity setup for small children? My daughter will soon be four. My wife typically stays back at the hotel when I goto car shows. But I'd like for her to come with our daughter and see the museum.

How far is this hotel from the museum? If it's not too far, I think I can pile up four adults and one small child in my Trabant. Although maybe illegal since I only have 2 lap belts in the rear.

I'd rather not try to find parking near the museum with a large van and a trailer. I guess I could drop the trailer at the school and have my father drive the van to the museum if there is adequate parking available. Is there parking near the museum for a full size van?

How long does the event usually last? My wife get's tired quick and my daughter can get nasty when she get's tired. So that maybe my best bet for me to drive my car and my father to drive the van so if everyone get's tired they can go back to the hotel.

I'm just not a big fan of driving or trying to find parking large cities. Sorry.
  13. VADOC

james
    Last year we parked trailers at the local school and caravaned to the museum on Saturday morning
    Parking in DC is problematic, so i would recommend they take the metro back to the hotel if they get tired
    Travel time from the hotel was about 20 minutes there, but much longer back , as we had to stop at every light
    It seems to be a busy day, didn't even get to go in the museum last year, will last until about 3 or so.
    I don't recall a specific activity for children, but there could have been, especially with the Kombi stuffing
    The museum staff was very enthusiastic and seemed to really enjoy us being there
  14. turbofiat124

I don't know if my wife and parents would be fond of riding the subway. The first time I ever rode the subway was age 27 in London. I wasn't quite sure how the system worked! Like where to get off and all.

I emailed the museum to find out if there was a parking lot nearby. My wife cannot walk long distances and get's tired easily so I'm trying to look out for her. But usually she doesn't get into car shows and hangs back at the hotel so chances are her , my daughter and my mother may not even goto the show. So it may just be me and my father.

OK another question. If they decide to go to the museum, then I'll need to drop the trailer at the school. Can you park a full size van with an extended top in the hotel's parking garage?

I know it sounds like I'm making a big deal out of all of this. If it was just me going, I'd probably leave a day early and just drive my Trabant 400 miles up there and spend the night at my uncle's house outside of Baltimore!
  15. VADOC

Hi James
    I don't recall how high the ceiling in the garage was, I imagine a tall van might be pushing it though
    If you decide to drive I will e-mail you my cell in case the "rescue squad" is needed, although I would think that running 110 kph for 800 miles may tire the poor little thing out
    The school parking lot is very close to the hotel though
  16. VADOC

Hi again James
    I probably should have been a little more clear in my previous post.
    The school parking lot is very close to the hotel, you could probably park both the van and the trailer there. Even if you took your wife in the Trabant, came back for your daughter, then came back again for your father all three trips may take 20 minutes or so, depending upon traffic lights.
    However, you can't really park in the school lot until after about 4pm on Friday. Last year I parked in front of a house on the street beside the school , and the lady that lived there was not too happy, eventhough it was a public street, So after I got settled at the hotel I came back and moved the truck to the school. Also, when you check in tell them you are parking at the school and they will give you a pass that you put on your dash.
    Probably the most confusing subway system I have ever used was in Moscow. Of course all the signs are in Cyrillic so you best have some one with you that knows where you are going and when to transfer. One of the first things I noticed was that most of the Russians had the 1000 yard stare, and we were very talkative. After three days we had the same 1000 yard stare and were definately identifying with their misery.
  17. turbofiat124

My only experience riding a subway was "the tube" which wasn't too bad. A co-worker who went to visit his sister in England described them as flying garbage cans! I don't know if that was in reference to all the trash in the floors or the fact the noise they made sounded like beating on the side of a trash can. They were quite noisy. Bearings squealing. Rattling, etc. Yeah, kind of like a Trabant!

What amazed me was how close the trains come to one another going in opposite directions. I swear it seemed they were within 2" of scraping each other.

My wife said she thought her and mom would walk around and see the sites while my father and I were at the car show. Which seems contrary to what I just posted earlier about her not doing allot of walking! I don't know how many attractions there are around this hotel. Is there anything to see if that general vicinity? Restaurants?

We will figure out something.
  18. turbofiat124

Just booked my rooms!
  19. VADOC

Hi James
    There is very little to do in the area of the hotel.
    Across the street from the spy museum is the Smithsonian National Portrait gallery. All day last year I had intentions of a least a short visit however you become so busy swapping lies that the day is over before you know it. I didn't even have time to see the spy museum!
  20. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Interkosmos Trabinaut Forum Donor

I'll actually be in DC that weekend, so it looks like I can make my first Parade of Trabants! Unfortunately, my 601 will be staying in Louisiana. I'm assuming a pretty low key deal, but do people have a parts exchange or swap meet type environment?