1. Mike Annen

Mike Annen Newbie

Justin likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I'll be sure to reference this in the next newsletter too!
  3. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

It is a poorly visited forum thread. The event was arranged with the International Spy Museum in DC by Mike A. I would consider it to be the premier Trabant event in the USA. Others are arranging some but this one boasts 20 Trabants present in 2009, I helped that year. I have brought a Trabant to the event twice and highly recommend it. If you want some details you will have to check with Mike A. I believe it is the only such car show where the focus is ONE model and the owners are compensated. I had some fans last time who sent me some pictures. I am looking for those emails and, when I find them, will share some pictures. Here are two that Mike B. from somewhere near DC sent me. mike1.JPG mike2.JPG
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  4. Justin

It may be worth trying to start arranging a more centralized meet. Not to replace this one, just to allow more of us to connect.
  5. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

How about some place with a local tie-in. There are lots of towns in PA, OH and IN with German heritage and even names like Berlin and Hamburg. How about one of these places and tie it in with their Oktoberfest? Or hook up with a car club that has a big show, such as a German or Import car club. Has anybody in the group any dealings with the AACA?
    Justin and trabant601 like this.
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

How about Wartburg Tennessee? OH, you have to drive through Oak Ridge to get to Wartburg. Just don't drink the water or step off the pavement. The whole town is radioactive!

I'm hoping I get a chance to come to DC this fall with my Trabbi. If everything goes well.
  7. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

This girl grew up in a town east of Berlin. She had never ridden in a Trabant. The generations are losing it. She said that they were seldom seen these days due to the emission stickers. Look there is Wartburg345676 in the background. tanja1.JPG tanja2.JPG tanja3.JPG
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  8. Justin

I like this idea and if we can keep growing as we have we can possibly form our our club too :) I like the idea of sticking in with the German Car Club. There is a HUGE German population in Texas too with a lot of Oktoberfest events.....Dallas is about 5 hours from me and I would imagine being more centralized, as well as Indiana. PA and OH are still a little too far East to try to get some people over like John Short or Bill, myself and quite a few others. Honestly, where Bill is in KS may be close to being the MOST centralized, but I do like the idea of trying to hook up with an event or two the German Car Club or even the general European car clubs are doing.
  9. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Xavier may be in the forum now. He has a really nice camera and very interested in Trabants. These show some things he thought were attributed to me. Some of them are, I'm just glad that he emailed them to me.
    xavier0.JPG xavier1.JPG xavier2.JPG xavier3.JPG xavier4.JPG xavier5.JPG xavier6.JPG xavier7.JPG xavier8.JPG xavier9.JPG
    Keri and Wartburg353W like this.
  10. Wartburg353W

Love the little mascot red fox thing.
    trabant601 likes this.
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That, comrade, is Herr Fuchs. Please address him as such in the future. He is searching for his friends everywhere he goes. They are not to be found.
    Keri and Justin like this.
  12. turbofiat124

That's a quite a collection of DDR memorablia you have there Eric.

My German boss is 33 and I seem to know more about DDR history than she does!

I showed her that picture of that Wartburg with the roof mounted loud speakers. The one Wartburg353 said, "Check out the sound system on that Wartburg!" I explained it was some sort of rally or protest that happened in East Berlin on a certain date up until the wall came down. She knew nothing about it.

She is not signing up for a second term and will be gone in a couple of months (homesick I reckon) so I'm wondering who the next German engineer will be. Hoping to get someone who grew up in the DDR. That would be cool!

The previous engineer we had was in his 50s and knew quite a bit about his country's history. He did not grow up in the DDR but said he once went there on a school field trip as a teenager in the 70s.
    Keri likes this.
  13. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I'm not surprised that your boss seems not to know much about history of Germany. I bet you she knows way more than she lets on. I too went into the DDR in the 70's, July 1979 to be exact. I just made it to have been there in that decade. In the 80's was the quality time there and the 90's was the quantity.
  14. Wartburg353W

I like how I appear in the background of a lot of your pictures, 601; sort of like how Alfred Hitchcock gets into all of his own movies. I am the puppetmaster!
  15. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

More people in the pictures is better. I didn't take the pictures so I couldn't control them from your photo bombing some of the pictures. I'm just glad you didn't make any rude jestures.
    Keri likes this.
  16. Wartburg353W

So, when are we going to get some more information on this, the premier Trabant meet in the country?
  17. TrabantUSA

TrabantUSA Newbie

18. TrabantUSA

TrabantUSA Newbie

Don Riddle and Justin like this.
  19. turbofiat124

HMMM November 9th? Coincidence?

I'd love to attend this year. I just so happen to be on my 7 days off that weekend. It all depends on my wife if she wants to go. And I'll have to snag a trailer. It would take me 2 days to make it 400 miles to DC at 62 mph. Plus I-81 has a lot of hills so that would be more like 40 to 55 mph...

Who all from the forum is planning to attend?
  20. Wartburg353W

I live relatively close, so the Wartburg is in as long as it is welcome. I have been to two of these so far and they really are a lot of fun. Anybody else committed yet?