1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I am super excited. I will be picking up my new Wartburg 353 next week from Charlie in Colorado. I will post pics and info as soon as I can!
  2. Keri

Keri Leader

Cool! :D

Ein Wartburg finden
    umm... a good home!
  3. Wujek

Wujek Puttering Along

wooohohoo mate, you found Wartburg in USA? Sick! Post pictures when you take it!
  4. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

Is it a redish oragneish one? 1977 Model?
  5. JASONCHAD

Yes...it is not really a 1977. The front grill is the updated one so it is probably a 1987. The paper work was probably fudged at some point to get it licensed. I am Driving to CO tomorrow to pick it up from Charlie. I sent him the money for it several weeks ago. He has been kind enough to store it for me until I was able to make arrangements to pick it up. Funny thing is, he bought two Trabis from me last year.
  6. Justin

I know that car, it came from here, from the same house that my Trabi came from......I helped Charlie with that deal, negotiating it, then getting it to my house then getting it shipped.
  7. Justin

I actually am still sitting on the Wartburg Keychain for it that I have no use for, I should probably just sent it to you :)
  8. JASONCHAD

I would put it to good use ;)
  9. Justin

PM me your address :) I have driven that car too. You will LOVE the interior, it was don't by the same person who did mine. The guy who owned that car before Charlie and my Trabi before me was doing everything to keep the cars for himself.

Did Charlie give you the history about how I/we came across it and if not, do you want the history?
  10. JASONCHAD

I would live the history...seems like I remember you saying something about an estate sale or something...I will send you my address....if I can figure out how.
  11. Justin

Looks like you figured it out. So you are right. What happened was I heard about a Trabi for sale on craigslist and went to look at it. The person who was selling it was the brother of the owner. The owner had passed away unexpectedly in his mid-40's from a disease (I don't remember what) he didn't know he had.

He had the Wartburg, Trabi and a REALLY nice 1980 Mercedes 280D. Anyway, the brother was trying to handle everything on his own, only wanted to deal locally and didn't want to deal with shipping.

I posted the car and John Short contacted me and told me about Charlie who was interested, so Charlie sent me the money I bought the car and drove it home and then we waited for the car to be picked up.

The PO was stationed in Germany at one point which is why he liked the car and he spent a lot of money getting them in great shape, cosmetically anyway. I know there was an issue with the Wartburg that caused the flywheel bolts to sheer off (Charlie fixed this) and with mine, the engine needed a total rebuild (which I did but with ignition issues, which is why John Short has it now)

Anyway, I think you will be happy with the car, it is a really nice example.
  12. JASONCHAD

Got the car home last night. Been driving it around the neighborhood today...my wife likes the fact that it has seat-belts...looks great parked in the garage...my wife's car is now sitting in the driveway...good thing it is spring! Warty in Idaho.jpg
    Hanni likes this.
  13. JASONCHAD

About 15 minutes after I had the car loaded into the trailer, we pulled up to my wife's friends house in Longmont, CO. Their neighbor comes out of his house and says "I know this car." I am thinking "Ya right...you have no idea." He says "It's a Wartburg 353" and I am like "what the..." Apparently his dad is from Bulgaria and this is what he drove...
  14. Justin

I have that happen from time to time with my Trabi parked in my garage, but I really do know THAT car :) It used to live around here
  15. JASONCHAD

I am thinking about buying a second grill for my Warty. It is titled as a '77 but is actually an '87. I really like the earlier version headlights with the oval trim and the chrome headlight rings. See the picture...
    old grill.jpg

The grill has appeared to have changed enough that you can't just swap it out for the older style. What I am thinking of doing is buying a second post '85 grill (so I don't screw up my car), cut out the painted grill section, install the old style headlights and trims, and a new aluminum billet grill cut and fit to the opening.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my craze idea?
  16. Justin

That is a nice looking grill. At the end of the day, what you're proposing isn't too crazy and could easily be changed again.

If you are happy with it and want to do it, then I say go for it :)
  17. JASONCHAD

I think I will keep the original too...that way if it doesn't work out I won't really be out much.
    Justin likes this.
  18. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

Cool car. I assume this is the same Wartburg parked in the garage with Justin's tan Trabant in one of his photos? I kind of like the painted grill since the rest of the trim on the car is black. But that's just me.

I was in Wartburg, Tennessee the other day. The town is named after Wartburg Castle (not the car) apparantly from settlers from that region back in the day.
  19. Justin

turbofiat124, it is the same car, I helped broker a deal between the seller of it and my Trabi to a person in Colorado and I guess Charlie decided to sell it so JASONCHAD bought it.
  20. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Jason what's the latest on the Red Baron? Any new pictures?
    Jeff
    Justin likes this.