1. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

a little touch up paint job might not be a bad idea
    Justin likes this.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

How well do Trabis go in the snow? I see you have some serious looking snow chains on the fronts!
  3. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

It depends on your tyres ;-)
    Mine goes very well. I drove uphill that street even without chains. But for going down, I preferred mounting them - on that route, there are a lot of horse-sledges for tourists. And if the car starts to slide on that icy surface, you might loose control quickly. That was not worth risking my family and my car.
  4. turbofiat124

It was a balmy 61F today. Since my Trabant's issues seem to be sorted out (for the first time in 6 months), I thought I would take my daughter out for a little ride and do some shopping. We went to Radio Shack for some diodes (for a tachometer experiment) then NAPA for some ethanol resistant O-rings (neoprene) and some other items. She tried to get me to buy some AC leak detector and some engine oil treatment while we were there!

The Trabant seems to be her favorite. I guess because he get's to sit up front and see where we are going and the car bounces around and is noisy.

Anybody know if it's legal to haul your kid in the front seat as long as the car has no air bags? I've passed several cops and I know they have had to have seen me since this car sticks out like a sore thumb and they have never pulled me over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

last weekend the weather was so nice we took the Trabi out for a spin around town...... about town 1.jpg about town 2.jpg
    Aaron likes this.
  6. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Get a lot of people recognizing what a Trabi is in NYC? Seems thats the first destination for every Hungarian Ive met when they make it to the USA..Can only imagine their reaction if they saw you just after landing :D
  7. frogbros

frogbros Von Trabi Forum Donor

Yes many know what it is....they chase me down to stop to take pictures and tell me stories about the one they had back in, Hungary, Romania, Poland, Germany, Bulgaria, ect.....

It is a lot of fun. I love to drive around in Manhattan and all the European tourists are amazed....lol

Here are a few pictures from todays adventure, 60 miles round trip to get German Pork Products for Easter.

about town 3.jpg about town 4.jpg about town 5.jpg
  8. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Every wednesday there is a meeting near me, so i went there to see what happened. :)
    A really nice black peugeot 404, my trabi, a beach buggy, 4 vw bugs, 2 vw buses, and a ferry (cadillac):D
    [​IMG]2014-05-07 20.37.01 by mati0921, on Flickr
    Justin likes this.
  9. Matteo

Matteo Premium Member Forum Donor

10. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

sure is slow going...
    :D
  11. Keri

Keri Leader

You say that like it's a bad thing! :confused:

The question remains: Is the snail trying to get somewhere faster on the Trabi or vice-versa?
    scarrabri likes this.
  12. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

Yeah! I think the snail is about to pass you my friend! Time to put a V8 in you Trabant and accelerate!
  13. Matteo

Well, actually I don't repute Trabi a painfully slow car.
    Just for example, the old Fiat 500 is much slower! :O
    Keri likes this.
  14. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

I used to drive a Fiat 500 in Highschool.... It was lots of fun. I also had a trabant at that time. To make it a convertible, we removed the roof panel in about 5 min and "converted" our Trabant to a convertibel! I'm not sure if a Trabant is faster then a 500.... I guess it's all depends...
  15. Keri

Keri Leader

A 2CV is slower yet?

Comrade Trabi is far from "slow" being able to keep up with the Famous Chicago Traffic, which alternates between 120km/h and 20km/h.

Naturally, we point out the sheer insanity of driving a 500hp car capable of 300+ km/h in city traffic when 26hp is perfectly adequate.
  16. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

When i tell people here i always go flat out on the highway, they are all like: Are you going that fast in such an old car? its not even built for it!
    Then i tell them metal have no calendar, and they probably werent moving about with 70 km/h in DDR. I have close to 6000 km on the clock so far, and only left in the roadside calling for help once due to faulty alternator. :)
    Since i have rebuilt almost all of the mechanic bits in it it is more reliable than my fiat punto... :D

English sure is... ehm... a special language :D in it it is.....
    Keri likes this.
  17. Keri

Keri Leader

LOL! Many "East Side" expatriates have declared it completely impossible for a Trabi to go as fast as Comrade Trabi.
    When shown video evidence on YouTube, they claim the speedometer has been "fixed" to show an inaccurate speed, or that we must have been driving down a cliff!

And yes, English is a "Special" language all right… it's more of a secret code than an efficient method of communication.
  18. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Greetings!

Wether Snail is Faster than Trabant is academic, BOTH are Faster Than the Zaz 965! A larger engine AND even Less power than the Trabi As Well as Less interior space!!
    There was reputed to be a story that the Zaz engine was not designed as a car engine BUT was the starter motor of one of the larger Soviet Tanks!! an amusing tale BUT Not True. 965A was NOT much better!!
    Keri likes this.
  19. Matteo

In the past I took the opportunity to drive either the old 500 and the 2Cv.
    In my opinion the 2Cv is somewhat quicker than 500 as it is very lightweight.
    Trabi is still performance unbeatable between the old "micro-city-cars" :D
  20. turbofiat124

Before I bought my Trabant, the most sluggish car I ever owned was a 1994 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5 liter 5 speed I bought new. This was a carry over from the days Renault owned AMC then Chrysler purchased AMC around 1988 just to get the Jeep name and halted production of Renaults in North America and converted them to building Chyrslers products.

Still had the old AMC 4 banger designed in the early 1970s except with modern fuel injection and modern ignition system. The 5 speed transmission was made by Peugeot.

It had 120 hp and would do OK on flat land but struggled up hills. I would floor it to 75 mph at the bottom of Interstate 26 just so by the time I made it up the mountain I'd be doing 40 mph. By the that time I would have to downshift from 5th to 3rd gear. Fuel consumption was horrible. 15 mpg around town and on the interstate. Luckily gasoline was 1/3 of what it is today.

Yes I say my Trabant is sluggish but really it's amazing a 28hp engine could actually move a car! And up to 55 mph. Providing your fuel filter is not clogged!

My riding lawnmower has 22 hp!