1. Cessnapilot89

Cessnapilot89 Puttering Along

Got it Running today! Slowly but surely making progress! Next, to attack the brakes.

whatacar1997, Justin and trabant601 like this.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I love the sound of 2 strokers and Ford V8s!
    Cessnapilot89 likes this.
  3. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Yours sounds like it idles a lot better than the one I bought from Rod...I need time (and a place to work on it. ..still homeless) Congrats!
    Justin and Cessnapilot89 like this.
  4. Cessnapilot89

Haha, we got the idle sorted out, now to the laundry list of other issues with the poor car. Can anyone say rewiring?
  5. Keri

Keri Leader

Yay! another Trabi back amongst the live and smoking! :D:D:D
    It's a beauty, too!

Rewiring a Trabant is like rewiring a flashlight.... :)
    Like everything else, so easy anyone could do it!
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

7. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

He's going to need help finding some things, particularly hinges, his are all rusted out. I don't really have an idea of where to look for those. Does anyone have any ideas?
  8. Cessnapilot89

Aye, I need help finding new bonnet and boot hinges. Going to attempt to replace the roll pins in the door hinges soon as well.
  9. Keri

Keri Leader

Fabrication of new ones? They are pretty simple...
    Justin likes this.
  10. Justin

I thought about fabrication too...
  11. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Justin, I'm surprised you didn't mention this you being an English car enthusiast but what about using those exterior mounted trunk lid hinges from an older model Triumph Spitfire?

They look similiar to the P50s hindges. Would work in a pinch if the originals could not be sourced. Redrilling the hood and trunk lid might be nessessary but since his car needs paint anyway (no offense mine does too) I don't see why they wouldn't work. Not exactly a "cheaper alternative" at $90 on Ebay unless the originals are more expensive and unobtainable...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  12. Justin

I am not well versed in the Triumph world....but that is not a bad idea.....I was also talking to John Short who mentioned he may have extra P50 hinges...going the British route may not be a bad idea though...

By the way, that MK3 is a beautiful car