1. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Hi all,

All of the coolest cars these days seem to have a hot entertainment system including some kind of monitor. My Trabi therefore is NOT cool. Let's change that.

I already have a 3A 6VDC-12VDC stepper and a small amplifier. The TV I bought only uses 800mA, I am hoping that everything totals 3A or less. If not, I was planning on mounting a 12V battery in the back and running the entertainment system off of that.

[​IMG]

After taking the TV apart last night I found the following: PC board with power system, TV receiver, the circuitry to convert the (formerly) incoming TV signals (probably just passing Jupiter at this point) into composite and the sound processing and op-amps; another PC board holding the tuning pots, the CRT, antenna and speaker.

I only want this for image so I can get rid of the board and pots controlling the tuning and the volume. I disconnected to battery terminals and the antenna as well.

I stopped at this point and reassembled it so I can plug my iPod into the a/v inputs on the back and test the video once my ipod to RCA cable arrives from China (free shipping).

My ultimate plan will be to discharge the CRT, remove the tuning board, extend the wires connecting the CRT to the PC board so I can mount the PC board under the dash. The CRT will receive a nice oak face plate and mount into my glove box/tray hole on the dash. I also want to hard wire the power into the stepper and mount the rear video inputs and trip pots for below the screen for easier access. I would also like to find some vintage (possibly GDR) knobs I could use to make it look more period authentic.

I won't be working on this really until Christmas, just had to get it out into existence.

Any input very gladly appreciated.

Ryan
  2. Keri

Keri Leader

Your Trabi has no need of a monitor to be "cool". It's probably the coolest car in the county, if not the state!

Why use a CRT for a monitor? There was no such thing in the GDR for Trabis, so why try to make a vintage-appearing monitor?

Why not use an easier to work with LCD screen that will use less power, give a better picture and be easier to mount?

Or better, if you really need a screen of some kind, just get a Tablet like an iPad and use that? Either plop it on the passenger seat or fabricate some kind of mount.
    That's my audio and navigation system.... The iPad I'm typing this on.

Vorwärts und nichts vergessen!
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

Think of this as a take on steam punk. Of course the trabi had no CRT. They also didn't have ipads, Velcro, LCD displays, cell phone chargers, ethanol in the gas, etc. My trabant isn't in original condition with originally parts so I don't mind adding this. Why CRT? Because I love circuitry and building stuff and because I will likely have the only trabant with one!
  4. Keri

Keri Leader

Like the Austin Powers Car TV!

Austin Powers Car TV.jpg

I dunno if the vintage look will be "cool" though...
    Tube TVs just don't seem cool.

My Trabi is very far from original also.
    The great thing about Trabis is we're free to experiment.
    It's not like one is desecrating some "authentic" Mercedes, Lamborghini or what have you..
  5. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Cool hack! For bonus "Cold War Spy" points, I'd consider mounting it so it can rotate up and away, so the screen is hidden when not in use, perhaps put a plain cover/panel on one side? Since there is no transmission hump, you should have a decent amount of real estate under the dash to fit it all in. How deep is the CRT front to rear?

You'll find retro dials the from the likes of Farnell/Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/buy-components/switches/knobs

<wanders off to find a CB radio, humming "Peter Gunn">
  6. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I agree with Keri. An LCD would be a lot easier to do what you're wanting to and a lot cleaner. I've been doing in car entertainment systems in cars for a long time and an LCD could give you a lot more ability and quality and take up a lot less room.

Just my 2 cents
  7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Just curious but what are you wanting to do with this? Watch DVDs? Since TV stations no longer transmit in analog, those TVs are obsolete.

Except for the local ABC affiliate WKPT which still transmits a signal in analog on UHF 25. I don't understand since I thought all TV stations were supposed to have switched to digital by law. However due to all the mountains around here, this station has several repeater stations they have placed in various locations on top of mountains to reach more people. Someone told me because of the low wattage they transmit on this frequency, they are allowed to continue operating this repeater station on Bays Mountain in analog.

I have hooked up a conveter box to one of those portable TVs while testing a hoop antenna I mounted where my Direct TV dish was on the side of my house just to adjust it. But the converter requires a 110 volt AC power source. But I'm sure inside there is a transfomer that reduces it down to 10 to 20 volts DC.

Those old portible TVs were like Ghetto Blasters. They ate D size batteries like crazy!

Keep in mind the ignition system on these cars generate A LOT of electrical noise. I had to add a filter on my Panasonic I was using and went ahead and wired it up to my Fujitsu while I was swapping it out. AM still picks up a lot of electrical noise but there is not much on AM radio these days. Why we have two local AM radio stations that broadcast ESPN radio I don't know. What a waste of bandwidth! That one radio station on AM 1400 and 94.3 FM played oldies from the 60s and 70s and was a nice alternative station to listen to now and then. Now it's a sports radio station! AARRGGHH!!!

The 6 to 12 volt stepper I am using is rated at 10 amps (well has a 10 amp fuse going to it). So far I've been able to operate a radio, LED backup light licence plate frame, cell phone charger and a fuel guage and it's illumination bulb off it and so far it's handling everything.

My "old school car" stereo from a 79 to 81 Toyota, plus MP3 player and cellphone charger port:

[​IMG]

I like listening to music but wanted something that looked like it was from the same era the car was built it which it is. But also wanted to be able to recharge my cellphone and listen to MP3s. I figured one of those original Stern radios that were installed in Trabants probably sounded like crap.

I moved my speaker box from under the fuel tank cutout to the dash tray and can now hear the radio better at 50 mph now. Still sounds like an 80s era stereo system though. I'm thinking about splitting the boxes apart and moving one on the driver's side under the fuse box.

[​IMG]

This seemed like a good idea at the time until I realized the carpet must have been absorbing the sound.

[​IMG]