IFA & Eastern Bloc Vehicle's item created by Ron, Mar 15, 2016

1. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Ron submitted a new Vehicle:

Qek Junior

Read more about this Vehicle here...
  2. hunterknox

hunterknox Premium Member Forum Donor

I admire your ambition. I thought the tow bar was there for the same reason that the speedo reads up to max speed +30 in most modern cars - it's just to inspire a sense of "what if"?!
  3. Ron

Haha!

I have great faith in Rosie, she'll pull it along no bother!
  4. czechnology

czechnology Smoking Along

Congrats on your purchase! What is the background if this Qek? Did it come from Germany? If you have any question regarding Qeks, let me know - I can share some knowledge. I will post some pictures soon, so you can get some inspiration. I fitted a small 45Wp solar panel onto the roof, and we are pretty much self sufficient for lighting and radio. Gute fahrt mit Qek!
  5. Ron

Thanks Czechnology!

I don't have any background unfortunately, it has been bought and sold locally for a few years... I can see from the serial number that it was built in 1985, and has hydraulic brakes. The solar panel is a great idea, was that expensive? It came with the flyscreen net for the roof vent, and a pair of skirts for the bottom, I presume to be used if you have an awning. I see yours has LED lamps fitted at the rear too, ours are from a lorry trailer.

We are very, very attached to the wee van already, and can't wait to use it this summer. As I come across problems, I will definitely ask your advice, thanks again!
  6. czechnology

No problem Ron, I am glad that another "Qekie" is just born. Very nice exemplar! :) Mine is the unbraked version. If you are going to park outside, change the brake fluid regularly, and put some of the ATE brake paste in the brake cylinders. If you are going to pull it with a 601, you will be very glad for the braked version! :)

Yes, I fitted LED lights, because original lights were dull, cracked, and rusty. I did not like how the lights protrude from the shell, so I was looking for a decent replacement which has the right diameter, and is shallow. These lights are made in Poland, and are good quality, and not so expensive. The model is "Fristom FT 110" - you can them here, or here.

The solar panel was kind of expensive- I bought this set.

It is connected to a 45Ah battery. I am an electronic freak, so I built in quite complicated circuit with built in charger, 230V changer and sockets,plenty of 12V sockets and so on.

Just one hint for now - check carefully the 4 mechanism that hold the roof vent. I know many people who lost their roof vent while driving, which is not only dangerous for others, but the hood is very rare (and thus expensive) to get. Sometimes it shows up on ebay.de - for about 200-300€, and sells almost immediatelly. The thread inside of the mechanism is quite solid, but the shaft of the holder which is attached to the screwed part is kind of subtile. I would recommend to change all screws that hold the whole thing to stainless ones, mine were very rusty with the thread almost gone. Qek owners used to tigh up also some small leather belts through the mechanism. If one of your mechanisms is faulty, replace it. It can be obtained also on ebay.de (Qek - dachaufsteller) I have seen so many broken, that I became almost obsessed, and besided the mentioned, I also bought this nice fiberglass spoiler, which should deflect the air from lifting the lid (see the pic). I am going to fit it on soon.

I also have a pdf Qek datasheet, which I cannot upload here, if you are interested, PM me your email address.

Good luck!

Attached Files:

7. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

What is the weight of these IFA campers?
  8. Ron

400 kgs Turbo (mine is a HP400), although I have seen 360 kgs quoted too.
  9. czechnology

Yes, the braked version about 360kgs, the unbraked 300kgs.
  10. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

These canpers aren't made by IFA. My Qek Aero is a bit larger and weigh 500kgs.
  11. czechnology

So, why the original logo of Qek trailer state the IFA sign?

6444169ipn.jpg
  12. Rangie999

Rangie999 Puttering Along

Good question... I kinda thought they made everything in a roundabout way?
  13. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

It does have ifa parts like the suspension and the wheels. Not exactly sure. According to my oroginal owners manual the camper was manufactured in factory other then IFA. So as the hitch for the end of the frame. I have a manual for that too.... But at the end of the day everything was owned by the government.
  14. Ron

I need that logo as a sticker for the back of the Qek!