1. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

What roadsidee repairs have you done? (not just on trabis, but all cars)

Todays Trabi problem was the wire from crankshaft to EBZA unit got too close to the fan and when it was worn through the engine died. out to check under the bonnet and there were rubbing marks on the fan. pull isolation off wire with my teeth, and tied the ends together and made it home. :)

boot is now updated with adjustable wrench, flat screwdriver, cutting pliars and electrical tape. :D
    Keri likes this.
  2. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

Lot of things. One day, I swapped the engine on a motorway parking lot :cool:

The EBZA problem is well known. I had this once. Now, I know that you have to line up the wire carefully!
    Keri likes this.
  3. Keri

Keri Leader

Comrade Trabi arrived in the USA with the EBZA wiring hitting the fan belt in two places!

I suppose this was in case the wires didn't get cut all the way through in one place.
    Why didn't they just weave it through the fan blades while they were at it?
    The electronics looked dirty, corroded and overheated but still functioned… even with half sawn-through wires.

Rather than fix the EBZA wiring, I just went with points.
  4. Matteo

Matteo Premium Member Forum Donor

Years ago, driving back from Ukraine with our Uaz, somewhere not far from Budapest, my friend Massimo and me replaced the vacuum brake servo.
    At that time we had our Uaz full with spare parts :D
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

One of my more creative roadside repairs was to my Fiat 124 Spider back in 2000. I was in the middle of nowhere when my car died. I discovered the fuel pump had lost power. Hoping it was not the fuelpump itself but perhaps something in the circuitry (fuel injected), I ran a long wire off the number plate lamp directly to the fuelpump. This was enough to get me to my destination and back home.

I usually keep some essential parts with me in my Fiats.

With a Trabant there is (should be) less components to fail.

I keep the following parts in my toolbox:

Fan belt
    Clean set of spark plugs
    fuel filter
    spare fuel solenoid shut off valve
    spare breaker plate (in case my electronic ignition dies)
    bulbs, fuses