1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

I am trying to diagnose and increase in noise when driving. I am still not sure if it is engine or drive line related. I read through the Trabant buying guide posted on the forums and have tried to check for small end bearing wear.

After taking out the plugs I rotated the engine and checked each piston in turn. If I move the piston in the cylinder nearest to the gearbox up and down around TDC so that the piston has just started to go down, and then push down on it using a piece of metal bar I get a small "click" sound. I cannot feel any movement I just hear a click. I checked that the bar was hard up against the piston before pushing down to eliminate the possibility of the click coming from the contact between bar and piston. The click seems to come from the top of the engine. The piston in the other cylinder does not produce any noise.

Am I right in assuming that the one cylinder has some small end wear? Or is a little click normal?
  2. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Could the click be indication of a broken piston ring?
  3. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

The only sure way to check is top remove the head and barrel then you will know where it's from
  4. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

I agree with Kev. Remove the cylinder. You can then check both, the small and big end for play. Lift the cylinder a little and stuff some rag in the case opening, in case a ring as broke and drops down when you lift the cylinder.

Andy.
  5. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

@Andrewwoey Thanks for the tip about the rag. I have a set of gaskets for head and cylinders plus a piston ring compressor ready to go. I was going to do a compression test before I start dismantling anything just so I know what the start values were. I need my Dyane back on the road before I can immobilise my Trabant...
  6. zivert

zivert Newbie

If the piston pin is normal, if the crankshaft is normal, if the clearance between the piston and the cylinder is normal, sound can come from the piston rings, especially when the engine is warm.

Check and make sure you can remove the exhaust manifold and look into the exhaust windows. Here you can also measure the clearance in the groove of the piston.

And still can tap a worn hole in the rotary valve.

Sorry for my English! I'm using Google tranlator.

Attached Files:

7. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

@zivert Thanks for your post. I have noticed rather more oil on outside of the engine than before as well as the increase in noise. So I think it is time to pull the engine and give it a thorough check including the rotary valves.
  8. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I have had a similar reason to inspect the cylinder heads and barrels on mine. It is a fairly quick simple job. Just remember the rag to stop anything falling into the crankcase. Beware when refitting piston rings that they are pegged and there is only one correct position for the gap for each ring. If you are careful there is no need for a ring compressor just take your time and slide the barrel over the rings one by one at the same time as you push the ring into the groove with a blunt tool. After I reassembled mine and drove it, the suspect noise had disappeared. Hope it does the same for you.
  9. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Here is what my bearings sounded like, when they went. So if you spin yours- you know what to listen for.

10. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

yes those bearings are toast mine made even more noise as the bearing cage had collapsed allowing the ball bearings to float about in the race,the car still ran ok