1. Cessnapilot89

Cessnapilot89 Puttering Along

Thanks to Justin, the little blue P50 should be coming home on July 27th!

Attached Files:

trabant601 and Justin like this.
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I do what I can :cool: I'm actually pretty excited about you getting it too. I can't wait see what you do with it. Consequently, be glad I'm no where near you because I would probably try to annex it to my garage.
    trabant601 likes this.
  3. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Nice one. I usually love an original look, however, that looks a little too rough to leave that way. Fun for you though, you will have a blast. Welcome to the club.
    Cessnapilot89 and Justin like this.
  4. Cessnapilot89

[​IMG]
    Yeah, she's a little rough. Apparently it has a rebuilt engine, which will be good. Can't wait to start working on it and have it looking proud once again.
    trabant601 and Justin like this.
  5. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Brilliant, congratulations! Best colour too!

I wouldn't worry about the patinawork at all, as long as the metal monocoque is OK…
    trabant601 likes this.
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I agree with vbubbin. That is the beauty of owning the car, do what you want, when you want to.
    Cessnapilot89 likes this.
  7. Cessnapilot89

The seller says the metal frame work is pretty good, I'll be sure to verify though. Any areas in particular to watch for?
    trabant601 likes this.
  8. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

A pillar. where windscreenshield meets bonnet hood.
    Base of the B pillar, where the door frame meets the floor.
    Floor pans.
    Wheel arches.
    Tops of suspension towers.
    Boottrunk floor.
    Sills.

Someone else will have a better idea, I'm only a noob...
    trabant601 likes this.
  9. Justin

I need to have one one my A pillars repaired. :(
  10. Justin

Although Rod is very trustworthy, so I would bet it's fine :)
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

vdubbin, good comprehensive list of areas to watch for. btw. I was told by a factory (VEB Sachsenring) painter that some cars were delivered with surface rust in some of those areas. Especially, By the time a car was passed on delivery all the way up to Rostock, a recipient finally accepted delivery, an already rusty car. I wonder if anyone has a Rostock Trabant (I had one, bought it there in 1991, but parted it out in 1992 after driving it all over the place both summers).
  12. Cessnapilot89

Rod seems to be great, thanks again Justin for putting me in contact with him. Just hoping everything will come together to be able to purchase it on the 27th, if not I am hoping he will hold it till August 3rd.
    Justin likes this.
  13. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I bought my P-50 from Rod a couple years ago. Mine is in about the same condition of the blue one you bought. Congratulations!
    Justin likes this.
  14. Cessnapilot89

Awesome! I am in good company. Is he a good man to do business with?
  15. JASONCHAD

Nice guy...honest and a bit eccentric... most car fanatics are. He has a whole yard full of projects and treasures. We made a family trip of it and drove from Idaho to California to pick it up...good times
    Cessnapilot89 likes this.
  16. Cessnapilot89

Awesome! Glad to hear that he is a good guy. Can't wait to be in the Trabant club. Out of curiosity, where does one find 6 volt car batteries these days?
  17. JASONCHAD

I got one at Dad's Battery... a small mom and pop battery store here in town. It is the same size as the old 6v Volkswagen beetle batteries.
  18. Cessnapilot89

Okey doke, Will be sure to check in at the local parts store.
  19. Cessnapilot89

Went and paid for it today! Little rough but fired right up. Brakes need some bleeding, and needs some body work but It looks like a fun project. Floor pan did not look to be in that bad of shape, the only real rust issues that I saw were on the metal props for the bonnet and trunk. Will post pictures tomorrow.
  20. Cessnapilot89

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my little project. Going to be a lot of work, but to get it driving just need to work on the brakes as they seem to need some bleeding.
    vdubbin and Justin like this.