1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
?

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

1. Ja, ich spreche Deutsch

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Nein, ich spreche kein Deutsch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ein bisschen

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. No, I do not speak German but I read it well enough to answer the question

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Huh? What? I don't understand

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Stop Talking Backwards!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Keri

Keri Leader

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
    Do you speak German?

If you're driving around in a Trabant, especially one with a "DDR" on the back, sooner or later someone is going to ask you this!

Yesterday was my day.
    I pulled into a popular car show on my way home and a cheerful girl walks right up with "Wie Gehts?" (How are you?)

Uh oh. My high-school German is extremely rusty. "Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut" was my reply. "Fein" oder "Gut" might have been better answers.
    I successfully resisted the temptation to say "Хорошо" (Horosho).

I'm in Chicago, which has a very diverse culture. There are tons of Poles and Mexicans here, Italians, Greeks, some Czechs, Japanese, Vietnamese, you name it, we have it... even Germans!
    I generally answer anything sounding like Polish or Spanish with Russian for "I don't speak Polish/Spanish" (Я не говорю по-польски/испански) just to be difficult.

Anyway, we had an interesting discussion in English and the Trabi drew even more attention than usual.

Somehow, I managed to forget how to say "Auf Wiedersehen".....

added 07-18-12:
    It happened again! "wie gehts", that is. This time I answered with "Fein" ;)
    I'm kind of hoping that was an ok sorta answer.

Oh! ein bisschen. :oops:
  2. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

I speak German,English,Polish and a few words Russian....;-)
    Keri likes this.
  3. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Keri,
    The response would be "Mir geht's gut. Und Dir?" !
    Keri likes this.
  4. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

I have enough German to be able to discuss the modifications I made to my Brompton when cycle touring in Germany and be understood. Since leaving the Netherlands my German has improved slightly. Helped somewhat by two cycle tours in Northern Germany in the last couple of years.

German sits near the bottom of my language pile at the moment below English, Norwegian and Dutch. I mainly use my German in a passive way for reading stuff on the internet and to listen to programs and videos (Trabant/DDR related content).
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  5. 'bant

'bant Loyal Comrade

Keri, you could have said "Tschüss" instead.