1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

so doug gave us a score off 33 and we are near the bottem of the list.
    But i would not change it. He also drove the not so nice one a few years ago.
  2. RogerDerSchrauber

RogerDerSchrauber Premium Member Forum Donor

"Doug"? Who is Doug? Doug DeMuro? The guy who thinks every car should be comparable to a Mercedes-Benz? The Trabant is not a Benz, nor was it intended as such. It was reliable, basic transport in a country recovering from WW2 under the handicaps of Stalinism, the Cold War and an economy of scarcity, using the crude materials that they had on hand. It's a triumph of ingenuity over politics. He picked an example of a Trabi that had a lot of problems, and based his prejudiced judgment on that. In other words, it confirmed what he wanted to believe.
  3. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

yep that doug i agree he drove a non fine car and still gave the car a low but fair number. I found him saying that he would go look at it at a car show just shows how much the car really means.
  4. BillB

BillB Loyal Comrade Administrator Forum Donor

This one:
    That's Robert Dunn's car (St. Louis area).
    He has a collection of "not-so-perfect" cars and has fun at the cars expense on his YouTube channel, Aging Wheels: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1lIHn3KlcJimyxsVugP4uw
    He has taken his 601 to the drag strip, out to a rally cross and always pokes fun at the car.
    Not in a bad way, but not in a good way either.
    Robert attended the 10th in DC last year and I hope he will return this year as well.
    I did order one of his "Smoking is Cool" tee shirts (I wear it at every cruise night I attend).
    Roger nailed it. If you want to think the Trabant is a POS, that is what you will believe.
    As most of us know, a little research and reading makes the informed understand the car is a miracle of technology from a time and place with limited to zero resources.
    I know Heike can beat Robert's ET of 26 seconds in the 1/4 mile
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    RogerDerSchrauber likes this.
  5. VADOC

VADOC Premium Member Forum Donor

Well, Bill, that sounds like a challenge
    Washington, 3AM, trying to find a desolate stretch of highway, measured to a 1/4 mile, and we'll really find out who can really beat 26 seconds
    I'm in!!!
  6. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

they do this in germany during the trabant meet every 2 years. they do a autox course and a breaking challenge