1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

This Stasi agent looks pissed!

[​IMG]

The song by Falco called "Der Kommissar" which means the Commisioner was suppoably about the Stasi. Lyrics like "Don't look around".

Wonder what happened to all these guys after reunification? The Stasi was hardcore from my understanding. The border guards were probably just forced into it and probably found jobs either as border guards in the new Germany or other jobs but since everybody hated the Stasi, what ever happened to these guys?

I was watching some documentary on YouTube about a guy who was a high ranking officer in the army or border guard force. He looked like he was in his 60s. He said that to this day he was proud of his accomplishments, how many people he shot trying to escape and everybody that did manage to escape he considers a non patriot or something to that effect. I can't remember the term he used at the moment.

I'll try to find the video and post the link. I'm at work so my company has blocked YouTube's website.
  2. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I would like to see it. The STASI is an interesting topic that someone may share more about. I think 50% of the population were employed by the STASI as unofficial collaborators. That is crazy, maybe it was more. Informants informing on other informants, what a way of life.
  3. turbofiat124

Here it is:

4. Cold-War-Charlie

Cold-War-Charlie Von Trabi Forum Donor

How do you know the guy in the pic is Stassi?
  5. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

This video is a very interesting one to me. Thank you for finding it and sharing.
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I think you are right. He is, it appears, Grenztruppen der DDR but may or may not have any status with STASI as part of MdI.
  7. turbofiat124

8. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

Regardless it is an interesting video and interesting to hear his thoughts
    trabant601 likes this.
  9. turbofiat124

It must be hard to still be living in the past for over 20 years.
  10. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

There are some that still feel that way, not many, but they are out there.
    trabant601 likes this.
  11. Cold-War-Charlie

I know Stassi had red epaulettes.
  12. turbofiat124

What is an epaulette? Are you referring to an arm band? The guy above is wearing a green arm band so what does that indicate?

Besides I thought these guys were sort of low key and wore three piece suits and drove Ladas.
  13. turbofiat124

I can't remember where I heard this, maybe a comedian so they may not have existed but seems like during the SS era there were what was known as Nazi Blockers. Ordinary people recruited by the SS to spy on their neighbors. I tried Googling "Nazi Blockers "but couldn't find much on it. Not even on Wikipedia.
  14. Cold-War-Charlie

Epaulettes are also known as shoulder boards and the stassi had their own colour. The nazi blockers were blockleiters who spied on the neighbours and reported them to the Gestapo.

Blockleiter

Blockleiter (Block Leader) was a Nazi Party political rank which existed between the years of 1930 and 1945. The Blockleiter was the lowest political official of the NSDAP, responsible for the political supervision of a neighborhood or city block and formed the link between the NSDAP and the general population.

History & Usage
    The title of Blockleiter was first created in 1930 and was initially known as Blockwart (Block Warden). The purpose of the Blockwart was to organize local support for elections during a time period when Nazis were attempting to gain both local and national political offices in the old Weimar Republic. Blockwarts were organized by neighborhoods in German towns and cities, and answered to a "Cell Warden" known as the Zellenwart. Typically, there were between eight to ten blocks in one cell.

In 1933, when the Nazis came to power, the old political rank of Blockwart was phased out of the Nazi rank system to be replaced by a new rank known as Mitarbeiter. It is at this point that the term Blockleiter was most often used, although not as an actual political rank but as a title for a Mitarbeiter assigned to the local level of the Nazi Party in charge of a local neighborhood or community street.

Those Mitarbeiters assigned as Blockleiters now answered to an official known as a Zellenleiter. Zellenleiter, also itself a title and not an actual rank, was held by Nazis holding the political rank of Stellenleiter.

In 1939, with the establishment of a new array of Nazi Party political ranks, both Mitarbeiter and Blockleiter became political positions, denoted by special armbands. The organization of the Nazi Block unit now encompassed several positions; the complete array of Block titles were as follows:

• Blockhelfer - Block Assistant
    • Blockleiter - Block Leader
    • Blockwalter - Block Administrator
    • Blockobmann - Block Foreman
    A special operations position known as Betriebsblockobmann also existed, but was more connected to war time production rather than block administration.

Duties
    Whereas the old Blockwart position had been concerned with election district leadership, the new Blockleiter was concerned with enforcing Nazi doctrine and supervising the local population. After 1933, the local Blockleiter was in charge of spreading propaganda and developing an acceptance to the policies of the NSDAP among the households (typically 40 to 60) in his area.

It was also the duty of the Blockleiter to spy on the population and report any anti-Nazi activities to the local Gestapo office; this allowed a Nazi terror state. This was helped by keeping files on each household (Haushaltskarten). Due to such activities, Blockleiters were particularly disliked by the general population. Other duties included allocating beds in homes for visiting NSDAP demonstrators, the collection of subscriptions and charitable donations especially for Winterhilfe and organising the clearing of rubble after air-raids.

By the close of World War II, it is thought that there were nearly half a million Blockleiter.[1]
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  15. Cold-War-Charlie

Pictures of my Stassi Epaulettes (Shoulder Boards) the colour is very subtle and different to the East German Artillery red. Pictured below are a pair of Other Ranks and Officers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

• wow. that is some great history. I will have to study that.
  17. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

18. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

19. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I know a few who cried. OOPs posted twice. Right after the Wende (Change) there were some DDRers who where very proud of what they had done to further society and themselves. They were patriotic in the sense that they saw a future for their efforts. Let us all hope for so much.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. Thinsid

Thinsid Loyal Comrade

Re: Stasi
    Three books that might be of interest, the 1st two I have copies of -the 3rd I have just seen mentioned in the "i" newspaper & looked at the author's website.

1) Stasiland (Anna Funder) a very interesting read by a journalist, great interveiws with various people Including Von Schnitzler presenter of the weekly propaganda show "Scwartze Kanal".
    2) Stasi (John O. Kohler) a heavy going History of Stasi actvities. Pity no-one proof read this it's filled with typos
    3) Secret Images of the Stasi Archive (Simon Menner) A collection of photos from the Stasi Archives, covering a variety of subjects including Stasi disguise courses AND small animals??? (What did the Hamster do?)
    Justin likes this.