1. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/12...lly-Car-Despite-Being-A-Terrible-Car-7724099/

"Eventually someone had to find something it was good at.
    Do you remember the days when the Mini was the hottest thing in rally racing? Probably not, it was a long time ago. But you might have once read that the Mini’s very low weight and front-wheel-drive made it a surprising success at rallying, despite not being especially powerful. Well, another not very powerful but light car was the communist-era Trabant, from East Germany, which was made of plastic and broken dreams.
    The car was punishment to have to slog to work in every day, but it can make for a surprisingly adequate rally car with some coaxing, here’s the proof."
  2. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

3. bigmark40

bigmark40 Puttering Along

Cian, did you get your Trabi tested?
  4. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Tested and failed. rear brakes, slop in front suspension, no E mark on the windscreen and a few other small things. Will be bringing it over to Bob Filep in a week or two to get the first two sorted, and I'm hoping a friend in the NCT center can help me out with the rest.
  5. bigmark40

bigmark40 Puttering Along

Sounds like you got a right prick of a tester! I doubt windscreens had E marks in 1987, or that it was compulsory. The slop in the front suspension, do you mean play in the kingpins joints? He's probably tested these as would-be ball joints that would have less natural play. Problem is, these guys are given a lot of discretion in their decision to pass or fail. When mine went for the MOT in September, he called me over and asked me what type of joints they were and seemed interested in the car. He said there was more play on one side, but that it was minimal. You've got someone who probably treated the car with disdain.
  6. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Yup, told me it was "balljoints". In fairness he was a young guy, early 20s, so he definitely hadn't seen one before.

The first clue was when he connected the emissions probe, the second when he asked where the bonnet release was…
  7. Bountyflyer

Bountyflyer Premium Member Forum Donor

My Trabant was a participant in the Monte Carlo rally! And after it sailed over here, we beat up quite a few Corwettes on the Power Tour jimchana in Hoover AL, while most of the spectators were scratching their head in missbelive! We even made it in the Hot Rod magazine....
  8. RHFabrications

RHFabrications Loyal Comrade

Encouraging to know there's a solid history of rally trabants. What year did yours compete in the Monte? I really don't know why there aren't more competing over here. With Mini prices getting stupid for just a basic car to convert trabants, especially 4strokes, make strong economical sense. I could get three or four very good base cars for the price of one mini.