1. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

I haven't picked up my 601 yet (it's currently getting the once over at a garage near to the current keeper), so there's not a lot to report yet. But if I don't starta thread now, I'll forget, so here it is…

My Insurance arrived (€125 for the year, classic policy).

[​IMG]

And the only photo I have of the car, taken just after we got it running!
    [​IMG]

The paintwork is a bit tired, and as you can see, some surface corrosion, but nothing that can't be addressed with sandpaper, Ku-Rust and some Satin Black!

The front indicators are fairly opaque, I'm thinking of retrofitting the older style units with the chrome surrounds, are they a straight swap, or do I need to order more than just the lights themselves? (http://www.ldm-tuning.de/en/artikel-65.htm)

I'd like to tart up the wheels, does anyone know if hubcaps like these will fit?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Full-Wheel-baby-moon-rat-rod-hub-caps-set-4-NEW-A-/230807503743?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bd33037f&vxp=mtr

I realise the options for aftermarket wheels are limited… (goes looking for old Renault Trafics on ebay…)
    Justin likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

Have any idea when you should take delivery of it?
  3. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

None at all, hoping this weekend, fingers crossed… In fairness to the garage, they're doing it as a favour, it's not usually the type of thing they look after.
  4. Justin

Well then that usually puts you at their mercy
  5. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

In true DDR fashion, my Trabi was released to me after an extensive wait. Not quite the 18 years the original owners may have required, but after 5 weeks I was really chomping at the bit.

I took a trailer to Galway on Saturday and collected the old girl. I arrived at the garage and after some shuffling of cars around the back of the car, the car started with a booster. I was instructed to sit in and keep it revved to top up the battery, as the car had bee idle for a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting the car on to the borrowed 10'x5' trailer involved partial deconstruction of trailre, as the Trabant is just over 5' wide at the wheel arches. Cue much swearing and sweating and borrowed tools as I unbolted the sides of the trailer, loaded the car, strapped the car down, rebolted the sides, swung up the tailed gate, realised the car was too far back on the trailer, swore some more, un strapped car, rolled it onto the dropped front board, restrapped the car, tested the tailgate again, and heaved a massive sigh of relief.

[​IMG]

While I was waiting for the car, I ordered a set of pressed metal plates from eireplates.com in the old German font (Though this could the the West German rather than East German font) to replace the nasty acrylic plates that were on it.

[​IMG]

Removing the plate revealed its own ecology:
    [​IMG]

At this stage I should probably some nice After shots, but I got so excited, I took her for a spin around the village, to get used to the column shift , unservo'd drums, and left hand drive. So many giggles, and only one moment of blind panic as I approached a roundabout and tried to brake, rev match and downshift 3rd-2nd.

I took her to a small Cars and Coffee meeting in Limerick city yesterday morning, were she attracted a lot of attention, with a few "My Dad had one of those" comments, and a retired Continental truck driver telling me he used to hate seeing these on the dualcarraige way (two, rather than 3 lane) Autobahnen, where overtaking by articluated lorries is not permitted, so he had to sit behind the little Trabis at 50mph until they exited…
    Matteo likes this.
  6. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

7. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]

Started to poke around a bit last night, I had left the battery conditioner connected to make sure I had enough electricity. I put in a new battery a few weeks ago to get it started, but after all the fiddling with the carb and associated start attempts, it was left idle for a few weeks. It means I can leave the booster at home for a while..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The job I really wanted to tackle was the door latch, the little gear should spin one way only (to close the door) and hold it in place.

[​IMG]

The door card popped off really easily, no broken plastic clips to worry about here! Everything else just screws out. Clever engineering, or DIY build quality?

[​IMG]

And there's the culprit. The spring on the right has lost its kink. Thirty seconds with a pliers to renew it. Unfortunately the cable holder broke in the process, so I'll have to order a new one anyways… Now I had a door that closes but doesn't open, rather than a door that opens, but won't close.

[​IMG]

As I was putting everyhting back, I got a call from a friend of mine to say there was a gaggle of pre-war Bentleys in Adare, so off I went to lower the tone…

[​IMG]
  8. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

First box of parts arrived today, very impressed with TrabantWelt's turnaround, I only ordered them on Tuesday. Light covers, switches and lock. And sparks plugs, lots of spark plugs…
    All wrapped up in the Zwickau Tribune, so I've something to practice my reading comprehension with later on.

[​IMG]
  9. Keri

Keri Leader

Cool!
    I've been known to "lower the tone" with Rolls and Bently as well.

And, Trabi door mechanicals are the epitome of German Engineering*. If you haven't already noticed, the metal edges inside the door are blunted and one can work safely without fear of major lacerations.

And Trabantwelt always packages things just great. They also throw in little extras from time to time like full intact newspapers or maybe something else you'll like...

*- contrary to popular opinion, most if not all of German Engineering's triumphs were made on the East Side. Many such advances were incorporated into the best German car ever, the humble Trabant
  10. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Indeed, it's all designed to be easily repairable, even by a numpty like me!

It is, a few of us have decided that if everyone learned to drive I none of these we'd have far fewer road accidents.

Fitted the lamps and lock this morning, I had to deal with a few rusty screws, which will need to be replaced. Red tape is temporary!

Rear lamp, spot the troublesome item..
    [​IMG]

Three piece screw...
    [​IMG]
    At this point I swore quite a bit...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took it to the park afterwards, and saw some ducks, then we went for an icecream.

Lows and wheels will be sorted, once I get the indicators and wipers working for the NCT.
  11. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Looks like a solid car, i think some polish will do good on it. :)
    I also have a few problematic screws, and one of them was in the bottom of the rear light, but i had to save the glass, so those were a bit tricky to get out. :)
    Make sure the threads in the body are ok before you put in new screws, or you could ruin them completely. They are usually salvageable with a re-thread tool.:)
    http://www.smedjeriet.dk/images/gevindtap.jpg
  12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I love the original DDR real driver look.
  13. Justin

I do too, I like the parts order too, always like Christmas :)
  14. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

The chap I've fostered the Trabi from has told me he has a set of Cibie foglights in a box, which I'll collect the next time I'm up that way. They were a requirement from when the car was in Sweden. They should add another few watts to the illumination!

Managed to get another few jobs sorted, as I'm at home for a few days, looking after my daughter. First job was to reattach the rearviewmirror, courtesy of some super strong double sided tape from my box of radio controlled bits and bobs. While I was digging around to find it, I also found these rather fetching fuzzies...

They say "Angel" on them, so I may christen the car Angele, who's the Queen of Europe, after all... :)

[​IMG]

Wipers and Indicators next. Indicators are funny, as the hazards work, and if I leave them down (left) then the parking light comes on with the key out. We thought they were part of the Swedish road-worthiness requirements they're aftermarket, and I suspected they were probably fused separately. I had assumed they were what was referred to in the manual as Passing Beam, Left and Passing Beam, Right but the fuses for those looked fine. I had also bought a replacement stalk, after reading they were a known weak spot. Checked the fuses and relay again, reseated a few of them, et voila!

http://instagram.com/p/b1COToNJk-/

Still need to get the screensquirter to fire, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad...

Oh, and I've a spare stalk if anyone needs one? :D
    Justin likes this.
  15. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Does anyone know what size bolts are used to connect the exhaust to the manifold? Mine have fallen off or sheared, and the noise is deafening! And the less said bout the fumes, the better!
  16. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I had a "DUH" moment with my windshield washers. Turned out the battery was pinching one of the hoses! The washer reservior was crapped out. I am using a glass jar until I can get another one. Also added a universal check valve at the end of the hose in the reservior and a new spray nozzle.
  17. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Hoses seemed fine, so I popped the top and blew through the reservoir (lungs be damned!), and it sprayed out both jets. Checked the wires to the pumps were OK (they were) and fired her up for a second. With Mommy in Law watching , I switched on the wipers and pressed the dial in a few times. Success!

Fiddling about tonight, as it's too loud to drive. My next door neighbour (a heavy machinery mechanic and good friend) brought me this, his brother brought it back from a vacation in Hungary a few years ago:
    [​IMG]

rearviewmirror came off, again, so it's time for something stronger. Unfortunately I don't have anything stronger than thin ABS, so I bolt that to the back of the mirror, and bolted the whole lot to the headlining. Bodgier than a bodgy thing, but it'll do until tomorrow. Then I'll get metal on its a$$!

[​IMG]

Passenger side mirror was fairly wobbly too. Turns out rust isn't great for structural rigidity...
    [​IMG]

The passenger seat had a hilarious party piece, where it would sometimes pitch back without warning. Well, at least I thought it was hilarious! A pinch of the vicegrips, and a tweak with a screw driver, and I have a ratcheting seat again.
    [​IMG]

I'll be going up to my father in-law's shed tomorrow, with its massive selection of random bolts, screw and assorted farm paraphenalia to see if we can connect up the exhaust again.
  18. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Hoses seemed fine, so I popped the top and blew through the reservoir (lungs be damned!), and it sprayed out both jets. Checked the wires to the pumps were OK (they were) and fired her up for a second. With Mommy in Law watching , I switched on the wipers and pressed the dial in a few times. Success!

Fiddling about tonight, as it's too loud to drive. My next door neighbour (a heavy machinery mechanic and good friend) brought me this, his brother brought it back from a vacation in Hungary a few years ago:
    [​IMG]

rearviewmirror came off, again, so it's time for something stronger. Unfortunately I don't have anything stronger than thin ABS, so I bolt that to the back of the mirror, and bolted the whole lot to the headlining. Bodgier than a bodgy thing, but it'll do until tomorrow. Then I'll get metal on its a$$!

[​IMG]

Passenger side mirror was fairly wobbly too. Turns out rust isn't great for structural rigidity...
    [​IMG]

The passenger seat had a hilarious party piece, where it would sometimes pitch back without warning. Well, at least I thought it was hilarious! A pinch of the vicegrips, and a tweak with a screw driver, and I have a ratcheting seat again.
    [​IMG]

I'll be going up to my father in-law's shed tomorrow, with its massive selection of random bolts, screw and assorted farm paraphenalia to see if we can connect up the exhaust again.
    Justin likes this.
  19. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Replaced the bolts that had gone missing between manifold and exhaust, so it's no longer deafening.
    [​IMG]

Gave the tank and air filter housing a quick rub of rust treament, I'll pull them for a proper respray once I've emptied the fuel tank and bought paint.

[​IMG]
    Also checked for tyre wear. Time to invest. I think cracks in the sidewalls are a test fail here… Slicks have more grip, right? :D :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Matteo likes this.
  20. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Those tires look similiar to the ones of my Trabant when I got mine.
    One tire was made in Czechoslovakia. Unless the company did not change the stamping after they split, that tire was made before 1992! Unlike tires sold in the USA which have a date stamped on the sidewall I could not determine the age of the tires.