1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Speaking of sparkplugs. I've tried Googling the Champion, Bosch, etc. part numbers which are listed on Ebay.de for the 2 stroker Trabbi but so far have yet to find a spark plug here in the United States I can buy at one of the local autopart chains.

I entered the part numbers on Advance Auto's website and it shows up nothing. I know I'm not going to find an Isolater spark plug at Advance Auto but looks like I could find something that would interchange.

Any ideas? Otherwise I'm keeping the used ones that came with my car in my toolbox in case they ever foul out and I need to do a quick plug change on the side of the road for some reason.
  2. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

3. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Saturday morning was dry and bright, so I thought I'd tackle a couple of jobs ahead of the car test this week.
    I looked at replacing the fan belt, but quickly realised I couldn't get into the old one, so I just tightened up the existing one.

There was a spare wiper knob in the box of bits'n'bobs that came with the car, so I slotted that in, hopefully there'll be no more falling off mid journey!

I fitted a new set of wipers, and added a second fuel inline filter, rather than replacing the existing one, as I didn't want to lose the flow sensor.

[​IMG]
  4. turbofiat124

When I changed out my fan belt I decided to replace the dodgy looking fuel hose. I misrouted the hose and the belt wore a hole in it! This time I routed the hose so it comes no where close to the belt.
  5. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

There are a couple of clips on the wheel well to keep the fuel line awayt from thefan and belt, though the scuff marks on the hose tell me that it's got a bit close at times. The second filter is cabletied to the old one, and well clear of moving parts.

I need to research removing the fan housing, as I couldn't figure out how to do it just by looking at it.
  6. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

There is a bolt on the underside of the fan (13 mm wrench) when the nut is off and fan bel fully loosened it should be possible to wiggle the fan out. :)
  7. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Cheers Mati! I was attacking it from the top, rather than the bottom…
  8. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

She attracted a lot of attention at the NCT centre last night, they were impressed with the condition of the underbody, but the brakes will probably need adjustment before the next test.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

After the highs, the lows. Took a short trip to the local park, and on the way back, noticed the smell of burning rubber. Popped the bonnet to be greeted by this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New fan ordered, I just hoped I haven't damaged the engine. I may have driven a couple of miles with no cooling...
  10. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Did the charging lamp come on? if not the belt must still have been tight, and the fan spinning. :)

I dont think it will suffer badly from no cooling, unless driving in very hot weather. :)
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That is super cool, and kind of Sci-Fi to see what it looks like in there. Next time I go to Emission testing, I will take some pics. Yes, NW Indiana has testing, but the rest of the state doesn't. Not sure why any more, we passed all of the EPA tests recently which brought it about in the first place. No worries for Diesels and me. We are exempt.
  13. turbofiat124

What happened? Did the bearings go out in the fan and lock the fan and belt up?

We have a couple of large rotary presses here at work that have to be rebuilt every four years. They alternate each one every 2 years when we have to shut down to have our pressure relief valves checked by law and to do other repairs and improvements and each time we end up having issues afterwards.

One year one of these locked up and the 400+ hp motor was still turning which caused the belts to catch fire. I was on shift that day and had to put it out with a fire extinguisher. I think they ended up installing a tachometer so if it reads zero but the motor is still pulling amps, it kills the electric motor.
  14. Keri

Keri Leader

Looks like a failure of the metal support band to me.

Wait a second! There isn't one there at all on the fuel filter pic a few posts ago.
    A "Failure of the vitally necessary metal support band to be present" fault.

Mine kept breaking at high speed so I fabricated a nylon strap replacement.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Wait; what support band? :confused:
  16. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

The belt, though worn, was still attached, and the fan spins freely, no grittiness or other sign of bearing failure. Alternator spins freely too. It looks like the fan housing just cracked around where the bolt goes through. Possibly through vibration over time. There has never been any band on the fan housing since I got the car. I'm wondering if I knocked something out of line, or overtightened the belt last weekend?

According to TrabantWelt, there are two types of fan housing, the older design uses the strap, the later (which I've ordered) uses studs. I hope I've ordered the right one…

Keri, any chance of a photo of the band you installed, so I can replicate? (I'm thinking of a belt and braces approach here…)
  17. turbofiat124

Keri, I have a couple of those T-bolt bands in my locker I found while dumpster diving at work. I think they are for either 8" or 6" diameter. The bands are at least 1" wide. They look just like what is used to hold the fan to the

I don't know why someone threw them in the scrap metal dumpster, there isn't anything wrong with them. They are used to hold flexible boots onto pipes on our convey system. The bolts maybe stripped out. That maybe why someone threw them into the dumpster.

I'll measure them next weekend when I'm working out in the plant. I don't know right off hand what the diameter of the fan is but if you want one I'll send you one.
    There is nothing really to keep the fan in place without some sort of securing device. I could see how it could work it's way out of alignment without that band clamp. Maybe corrosion or dirt was holding it in place until you installed the new fan belt.

You could probably repair the fan housing with fiberglass. Just cut an alumnium can up and tape it to the inside of the housing so it makes a contour, apply some wax and lay fiberglass over top of it.

What about a couple of large diamater hose clamps stacked next to each other? Just to get you by until your new band arrives.

As far as that clamp goes. Mine has a T-bolt clamp and it has never come loose. Knock on wood...
  18. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Fan back in (just a single bolt to hold it in!) new filter and wing mirror!
    [​IMG]
  19. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]
    Out of the wind and rain. Not completely hibernating, just waiting for the next excuse to drive her...
    trabant601 likes this.
  20. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That looks to me like the coziest spot for a Trabi to nap. Great photograph for the season.