1. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

By Sunday evening nearly everyone had gone home, but our ferry was still two days and four hundred or so kilometres away, so we settled in for a quiet evening. No, honest!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The return trip of any voyage is about the records. How far, how fast, how long left? The first of the milestones rolled over on the way back to Holyhead.:D

[​IMG]

We nearly missed this, despite keeping an eagle out for it all through the trip.:D

[​IMG]

It turns out, Snowdonia is pretty bloody distracting!

[​IMG]

We made Holyead in time for a nice walk about the prom. It's a cool little town, much more vibrant than I was expecting.:D

[​IMG]

Catamaran made lots of whooshing and splashing as it slowed back in to port.

[​IMG]

Soon we were back in Dublin. The trip home always seems faster, doesn't it?:D[​IMG]

We schmoozed down the Quays, with not a care in the world. A Dub in a white van pulled up next to us at one set of lights.:D

"What year is she?"

"'87, one of the last of 'em!"

"Ya wouldn't believe the looks you're after getting back down the street!"
    trabant601 and Keri like this.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I just got through repainting my bumpers yesterday and removed the corners on the rear. The front ones were already loose. You would be surpised how hard they are to remove, ordinarily they would just fall off! I've seen several Trabis in photos that have lost those corners.

The rears had what looked like piece of metal spot welded over top of the tee. I had to pry them off with a screwdriver and the metal pieces just popped right off. To prevent them from falling off, I drilled a hole through the plastic corner at the bottom through the lower horizontal tab than ran a sheet metal screw up through it. You can also use a pop rivet.

[​IMG]
    trabant601 and vdubbin like this.
  3. turbofiat124

There was a trip to the breaker's yard, one to LiDL....

LiDl you say? Just had a flashback from 1997. Traveling through France with the UK X1/9 club...

[​IMG]

Me @ age 27 @ 120 lbs.

[​IMG]
    vdubbin likes this.
  4. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Cool! I might stick a self tapper through the remainder, and add a replacement to my wishlist.
  5. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Just got this photo sent to me from my friend Rob, who's in Hungary collecting his 601s and a few extra bits.
    [​IMG]
  6. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

My care package from Hungary arrived, rear seat, accordion style roof rack, clutch kit, brake shoes, hubcaps and a "Baba" for the bumper.
    [​IMG]
    Got the seat in, which meant removing the 1/2inch plywood board that held the speakers (I'll have to refit those later)
    [​IMG]
    I was going to install the roof rack too, but as the light was declining, I took her for a spin instead. :)

I'm heading away this Friday with some petrolhead buddies for a boy's weekend away, so fitting the rack will be done as a "team building exercise".
    trabant601 and Justin like this.
  7. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Roof rack on, and a few pictures from the last couple of months:
    [​IMG]
    My buddy Tony has never driven a Trabi, so we took hime out for a spin. Now that I've a rear seat, I thought I'd film the experience!

Took her out to a local C&C for the first time in a while last Sunday.
    https://igcdn-videos-b-4-a.akamaihd...-16/10976576_1535750876686584_552210243_n.mp4

Met a friend.
    [​IMG]

I've discovered she doesn't like to start if the engine is hot. I'm assuming it's vapour lock, since it goes away once she cools a bit.
    I have to get a few bits done to pass the NCT (National Car Test), hoping my local Hungarian mechanic can help.
    trabant601 likes this.
  8. turbofiat124

All my carbureted engines have this issue when it gets into the 90s in the summer. Usually not a problem below 80F. I tried non ethanol fuel but that doesn't seem to matter. Try turning the fuel tap on for maybe 15 to 30 seconds before hitting the ignition. And don't touch the accelerator until the engine fires. It may take 15 seconds of cranking. Sometimes I have to shoot some ether in the carb on hot starts to get it to fire even in the summer.
    trabant601 likes this.
  9. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Thing is, it's only about 32ºF (0ºC) here at the moment… This will happen even if the tap is opened long enough for fuel to start dripping onto the floor.
    Choke position doesn't seem to help either. I might get a can of EZ start for the boot, just in case.
    trabant601 likes this.
  10. turbofiat124

Might be a float level/sealing issue. These carbs seem to be real picky about the float level. Plus being gravity feed may play a big deal.
  11. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Right, so after sitting in the shed since December, I finally got a chance to get her out for a bit. Unfortunately I ran out of petrol, and the hot starting issue reared its head, so I was stranded in the village for half an hour.

Back home, I swapped in a fresh set of plugs, tightened up the battery clamp, adjusted the fan belt and adjusted the air filter so the intake pointed at a fresh area (Trabi filter tend to get dirty in just one spot where the air comes in). I also inspected the spare to see if I could swap it on to the back axle so I would have a matched pair, but as it has neither E mark nor date, it's a non-runner.

[​IMG]
    trabant601 likes this.
  12. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

always so great to let them run free after a winter nap
  13. turbofiat124

Hey, read my post concerning battery cables. I think that was what was causing the starter motor to spin over half as fast which lead to both hot start and cold starting issues.
    vdubbin likes this.
  14. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Small update. I didn't get to drive nearly as much as I would have liked this year (life gets in the way sometimes).
    She failed her NCT (roadworthiness test) a couple of times, so I had address slop in the steering/kingpins/zero rear brake effort ( slave cylinders and shoes, I now have brake pedal feel!)

Shed season is upon us again, and with a Sunday to myself, I rolled her out to get a few small jobs done. We've already replaced the rear slave cylinders, and fitted new brake shoes, so there's actual brake feel again. Also fitted wheel bearings but there's still a little play on one hub, so new stub axle and hub is required.

[​IMG]
    Not enough juice in the battery, or another I found in the shed, so I jump started her from the daily.
    Half choke, much smoke!

Made a quick inventory of the boot (it's gas how much "support gear" you accumulate over time!)
    Reconnected the speakers and put them on the rear strut bar until I mount them properly
    [​IMG]

After a quick spin, as I was putting her away again, I realised the door pull wasn't working from the inside.
    [​IMG]
    Handles and winders off.
    [​IMG]
    There's the culprit. It had rusted and snapped, and there wasn't enough left in the existing cable, so I improvised with a wrap. #thereIfixedit
    [​IMG]
  15. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]

Well the little Trabi is back home in Galway. I moved up a few weeks ago, and we collected her and drove up on Saturday.

Few jobs that need doing over the next few weeks;

- New clutch, flywheel and release bearing.
    - Carb adjustment.
    - New manifold bolts.
    - 4 x tyres.
    - NCT and tax.

That should see it good for another year and next year it will be vintage! More to follow as work progresses.
  16. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

I haven't up dated this in a while. We got a few of the jobs done (clutch being the biggest) by a local Polish garage in Galway.

I drove around for a while, until July, and then I came out of the house to find her, gone. Luckily the thieves were unfamiliar with the fuel tap, so they only managed to get her to the end of the estate.

[​IMG]

It took them quite some effort to get in, bending the doorframe, making sh!t of the lock, eventually they ripped off the wiper to smash the glass.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They pulled every single wire out of the ignition barrell to hotwire it, but thanks to her tough East German Engineering, repair only required pushing the wires back onto the connectors.

[​IMG]

Cleaning up the glass took a bit longer... Bye bye Lidl seat cover!
    [​IMG]

I was very very lucky to find a place close by to store her for a while so I left her sit for a bit in a dry shed while I sourced replacement parts from Hungary. I took visits for 5 different breaker's yards before my friend found a suitable door.
    [​IMG]

Fast forwards 6 (or 7, I forget!) months, I managed to get all the bits together, and some free time and motivation to tackle the door. Initially I hoped to swap the glass and lock out of the good door back in, but the glass is bonded to the runner, and I see to way to remove it. So, Plan B involved bolting the beige door to the blue car:

[​IMG]

The four big bolts attaching the door to the hinge popped off, though it took some WD40 and a Tactical Vice Grips to get the safety bolt out.
    [​IMG]

NExt up was to remove the windscreen wiper and all the gubbins. By Hungarobuddies sorted me out with a new wiper mechanism, it's just a matter of getting in behind the dash...

[​IMG]
    Keri likes this.
  17. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

ouch so glad that is all the damage that was done. time to make it right
  18. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Sorry to hear about all the troubles! Glad it was all mostly cosmetic and you didn't lose the whole car. Thank God for the wonderful fuel tap or they would have been off with your car. I guess its really just a back up security system!
    Keri likes this.
  19. turbofiat124

That's shame. Not crackin' on Trabbis but you'd think thieves would go for something more valuable like an SUV they could steal, load up on a boat and ship to Central America.

Most cars that are stolen in the US are shipped to places like Central America and Africa. Like SUVs and luxury cars.
  20. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

I reckon these lads saw her and thought "Old Car = Easy to get in to". You can tell by the escalation (door frame -> screwdriver lock -> smashy smashy ) and the ignition barrel they were just looking for something to take for a spin.
    Keri likes this.