Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzbass

jazzbass Newbie

Can somebody tell me something more about trabant 601 ,,targa" 1988,549 engine,panoram roof?

I read on wikipedia about this model but did not find enough information.

They should be only two models left the factory on and we do that I found one of them.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant_601

Did he realy exist?

Sorry for bad english...
  2. TheHun

TheHun Puttering Along Forum Donor

Never heard or seen targa, buth recently there was an ad for an old warburg with panorama roof combi that was in the USA, so maybe they tried something similar on the Trabi, 549 engine? Do you mean 549 cc? Aren't most 1988 600 ot 650?
  3. jazzbass

jazzbass Newbie

Factory has a panoramic roof 549cc engine and Trabant name across the entire hood.

How much could be worth this model compared to the classic Trabant?

If you believe Wikipedia is one of the two pieces was sold in Yugoslavia.
  4. TheHun

Rarity commands a premium but all other factors still apply such as location, condition, history of ownership, etc. If its really good condition and super rare probably highest price will be in larger markets, Germany, etc....
  5. jazzbass

jazzbass Newbie

6. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

That looks like a home made conversation. I have seen plenty of trabi's in Hungary that have received similar treatment.
  7. jazzbass

jazzbass Newbie

Very possible that a home made conversation, the only thing that's got me stumped engine with 549ccm, as far as I know it should be 594ccm.
  8. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Definitely looks home made its worth what you are willing to pay but it may be botched job you need to inspect before buying
  9. TheHun

Was able to see the images, guess my work network was blocking them, definately not factory, if anything probably detracts from value. Rusted out pretty good too...
  10. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I've never heard of one until now. Some of the things that run through my mind when I am board is remove the roof and lay a piece of clear plexiglass over top and form it with a heat gun. Then install one of those sunshades from a station wagon where you can slide it back to let the sunlight in.

[​IMG]
  11. TheHun

Good point, use the original roof as a mold to lay and form the plexi on top...
  12. Filipi

Filipi Newbie

There was originalo Trabante Targa. I have friend who search for that car. Long time ago he send me couple pictures ,of newspapers. Sorry for my Englese. I will try to post it here. If you have viber nubmer of that car,please send me.
    [img: trabant targa 1]
    [img :trabant targa 2]
    [img : trabant targa 5]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. Andrew

Andrew Most Powerful Leader Moderator Forum Donor

Hi Everyone,

Just want to let you know I am locking this thread.
    Thought I would explain why, so if you want, come with me down the rabbit hole:
    I came home after a night on the town and found some new posts on The Australian Trabant Owners Group on facebook, and ended up having a wonderfully long discussion or argument with Filipi/Expert1234/Nikola Dijana Mikic/Jazzbass - Milos Budimirovic/trabadmin - Kamil Machusich/Kolega2357/Miljan Simonović

You can find the tread here if you want: https://www.facebook.com/TrabantAustralia/ (Under Visitor Posts)

So whatever name he actually chooses to take, I did some light reading with my Trusty 'Fahrzeuglexikon' ISBN 978-3-937496-34-4 to confirm there was never a Factory built 601 with a Ragtop/Targa roof, nor has there ever been a 549cc Engine. The VIN 4113654 and Engine Number 5B 2014809 he supplied me are of a mid-late 1988 Trabant 601 Sedan and the Engine is as expected, a P65 Motor also built in the same year.

The Only evidence of a targa model I found was via wikipedia, but it was quickly obvious that he had edited it himself (the dates match the start of this thread), I have since reverted his changes and put a watch on them to revert them again if required.

Other odd things were the photos posted above, lots of white boxes blocking off parts of the photos... maybe privacy for other cars etc.. but seemed a bit odd.. And then his latest photo(s) above are right out of some of the standard brochures, and the Sachsenring Logo and 'Trabant Targa" are clearly a photoshop job, through by the looks, it might have actually been Microsoft Paint. Just in case anyone is going to say "But there is no roof on there, maybe it is targa" nope, they just removed the roof for the photo, you can see the wiring, and tops of the doors etc, plus there isn't any way a ragtop to be connected, and add on top of that its completely different to the way that ragtop looks in his photos (it sits in the centre of the roof and there is large sections of the roof still in place either side).

and then finally there is this http://www.trabantregistry.com/phorum/read.php?44,854 , my only conclusion is he owns this car and want to try and sell it for more money than its worth by trying to pass it off as something rare. The only thing Sachsenring did a prototype of in 1988 was the Trabant 1.1 and even if they did a prototype with a targa roof, I am sure they wouldn't have sold them to Yugoslavia.

To answer his question "how much is it worth" my guess between 250-500Euros, parts only...

Anyway it feels like something dodgy is going on here... so I am locking the thread, feel free to message me if you have any concerns.

Cheers

Andrew
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.