1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Does ANYONE out there, around the world, have any lead/s for obtaining the 800RS rally wide wheel arches, ideally in fibreglass?
    I'd be very grateful for any info., as I need a set of four to complete my cars' full rebuild.

For clarity, I have attached photo, showing the fron and rear ones, on the works car, in the Horch Museum.
    The widened arches, have a black beading between them and the original Duraplast wing/wheel arch panels, when fitted as per the originals, as you can see. 800rs zwikau_019.jpg

Many thanks!

Ian.
  2. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

Hello Ian good to see your back to working on the Trabi again. The one place that has something that looks like that is www.reich-tuning.de
    They have a selection of wheel arches that are fibreglass in different styles.
    Hope that’s of some help.
  3. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Puttering Along

This information is also very useful to me as i will also need some for a future build. Thought i fought my car will never look any where near as good, as Ian's car.

Andy.
  4. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Many thanks for the link Mr Powers,...as always. Yep, got a little more time on my hands currently,...but, using it to get some of my n.o.s. spares and used bits onto Ebay, as may be moving house soon, with any luck?!....
    I've just put that set of 4-port cyls., heads and pistons on this evening at long last!!....Lots of other bits,...so have a look, there might be some bits n bobs that might appeal on there?.... Waiting for reply from Reich re. the availability and best model of extensions that they can offer currently, that will give me the 800RS wheel arch shape,...if at all poss. Regards, Ian.
  5. Austinpowers

I just spotted your spares on eBay. I have to admit the 4-port cylinders are tempting.
    How much work do you still have to do before the Trabi is on the road?
  6. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Do remember, that the 4 port cyls. and pistons, will need a good engineer to do some more work on them, undoubtedly.
    Also, the tolerances and dimensions will need to be worked within and the eventual cc worked ut...and the consequential compression ratio?!...
    NOT a "bolt-on" KIT for the Trabi owner, that's for sure.
    (Carb. would need to be totally set-up from scratch on a rolling road, once fettled and fitted, I should imagine?!).

Still trying to get those wheel arch surrounds sorted, as that's the main cosmetic stumbling block now.
    Other than that, looks like it might have to wait until after Kate and I have sold our current home and moved to Powys in mid Wales, during this summer, potentially.....as that's the plan!

Kate has retired last month, from her job and I have ceased self employment at the same time.
    However, busy servicing and selling all my co. machinery, then looking to get a small holding (2-3 acres), 2 bed, rather than 3 bed cottage, as we currently have ...and then erect some self catering chalets/pods, so as to gain an income for our retirement.....So, I'll be SEMI-RETIRED, as far as I can see!

Hope that you and your partner are well and still able to get over the Hungary and Czech republic (??)....still?!

Regards,

Ian.
  7. Austinpowers

Good luck with the selling the house. And it sounds like you going to have a nice life in Wales.
    We are both ok and are off to Hungry in a few weeks time. So I will be able to give my other Trabi a run after it’s winter hibernation. Plus I also have a little Jawa Mustang to play with over there as well.
  8. trondd

trondd Newbie

Want to buy me a Trabi and ship it to the US for me while you're there? :D
  9. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Mr Powers,

Might you be able to ask your relation/friend out there , who has the Rally car/s.......?

Re. whether they know of any sources of 800RS-style, Fibreglass wheel arch surrounds for all four arches, for me?

I have attached two pics, showing the right PROFILE of the relevent wing areas.

IF they can help, even given a few weeks to search info, or the set of extensions out, it would be really invaluable1

Drop me a line , whilst you are over there, should you have time.....and may be I could get you to get a set and bring them back as hand luggage??
    Might well do a deal, for the 4-Port Cylinder set, IF that was the case,...remove from Ebay and do a straight swap,...or similar, perhaps??!!!
    The 2nd pic is of the Works 800RS at the Horsch Museum, with the CORRECT ARCH SURROUND PROFILES....
    AND the first pic is of a set of whole fibreglass WINGS that I saw some years ago on a German Rally trading post site!...However, they had long gone, by the time I wanted to get my Trabant fettled!
    Dont, really want to go down the whole wing route, as I have spent alot of time and funds respraying perfectly good wings and decal'ing them all correctly, as you know.
    So, ..summing-up, if someone has some flared/widened fibreglass wheel arch SECTIONS available, that's ideally what I want.

Many thanks, have a good break...and regards to "the better half",...your Rally Co-Pilot!

Regards,

Ian.
    800rs fibreglass wing incl rs extensions.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Austinpowers

I will ask about when I’m out there and see if anyone knows anything about them.
  11. Ian

Ian Loyal Comrade

Many thanks!

Perhaps you might like to send them a copy of my above message and pics , ahead of going there....then they might have a chance to scratch their heads for me, in the meantime?
    Then, they could let you knw their findings/thoughts perhaps,...when you and the "mem sahib" are out there together.

Regards,

Ian.