1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. A Spooky Ghost

A Spooky Ghost Loyal Comrade

Justin had my Alt rebuilt by a shop. It also makes a odd sound, mainly with the lights on.

Not a issue at all though. Some alts are just noisy.

On our 80 Ford Courier, it hums with the lights on. Also the idle goes up, and down with the flashing of the signal light.

Even Herr Trabant doesn't do that!
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

We don't have the same problem in the UK we have the made in china problem instead
    Andrewwoey likes this.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

That alternator and bracket came off my spare engine! I didn't know if it was any good or not but Justin said he needed it and the bracket and if it didn't work he would have it repaired.

To add insult to injury the spare transmission I had thrown in with my car came from one that used CV joints so it's unusable "as is" unless I pull it apart to swap the pieces that the axles slide into.

So far my LED headlight and auxiliary lights are working OK and not effecting the idle speed like before. I measured the current draw of all four and it's pulling around 4 amps as opposed to around 28 amps.

Although I noticed this morning that one of the bulbs had blown on the auxiliary lights. From China or course! No problem, I have about 10 more in a box of electrical bits. That's what you get buying cheap LED bulbs from China!

The reason I bumped the idle speed up to around 900 rpms was every now and then the engine would stall at idle (even when hot). So far it hasn't stalled lately.

I'm wondering if it's time to adjust the idle mixture. Maybe that's the issue. As I mentioned in another post, ever since I blew the electronic ignition and had to swap back to points, the idle on this car hasn't been that great and it's smoking a bit in hot weather.

I've pretty much got my "Hot Spark" electronic ignition system completed. I've just had more other things going on at the moment.