1. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

Mati this car is used for rallying and takes some punishment. So the tube helps to stop the body flexing to much.
    It has a full cage to help keep it stiff as well as safe for the lads in side. It puts out about 56 hp and really does shift. It also sounds amazing and you can hear this thing coming a mile away.
    [​IMG]
  2. Austinpowers

3. Austinpowers

4. Austinpowers

5. Austinpowers

6. RHFabrications

RHFabrications Loyal Comrade

Thanks for those pictures, nicely prepared car. I also have some questions, why is the fuel tank still under the bonnet? It doesn't appear to be connected and it looks like there's one in the boot? I assume it's got an electric fuel pump if that's the case? Does the carb handle that without modification? I'm also uncertain as to why it's need that brace between the shock towers. I could understand if it had coils on the front mounted in place of the standard telescopic dampers but it appears to use a front leaf. I would have thought bracing down to the front subframe would have been more beneficial? Like I say, Ive never done any Motorsport prep on a Trabi so I bow to the experience of others regarding these things!
  7. Austinpowers

He is still yousing the original fuel tank.he was going to put one into the back of the trabi but changed his mind.
    I suspect he went with the original setup as it's less likely to go wrong. As for the brace, on all the racing Trabants that I've seen they all have a brace. So there must be some benefit to fitting one.
  8. RHFabrications

Well that I can agree with. Whose signature is on the air filter?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's the interior dealt with. That's my daughter stripping it out, she loves helping me usually but the Trabi is so simple I just left her to do it herself. If anybody in UK wants the bumpers I am happy to send them at cost of postage, likewise any of the interior but it's all pretty tatty and although you could shotblast and paint the front bumper the rear really is pretty ropey. It's no use to me though. I need a pair of good rear light lenses for this one if anybody has any spares they would like to sell me?
  9. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

I think the old lenses I had (while kinda cloudy) are slightly better than what you have. I'll dig 'em out this evening, take a couple of snaps, and let you see. Yours for the price of postage from Limerick, if you're interested.
  10. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Could you look into the price of postage on the bumpers please, I'm not sure what I can do with the rear one, but I'll try something! I've wanted that style for a while now...

My postcode here is AB37, Moray in Scotland... that'll be the killer!

Thanks for your time, we'll add a fiver (beer token) on for your troubles! Great work so far by the way, thanks for sharing your pics, makes all the difference to a forum.

Cheers now, Ronnie.
  11. RHFabrications

Definitely interested in rear light lenses please! I'm pretty sure I can get milky or faded/matted lenses back to a good standard but both of mine are cracked and one is actually a total loss.

So, in the boot was what I assume to be a dynamo. Attached to it was half the broken bracket to hold it to the engine. Should this car be 6v or has it been converted to 12v? Or do we think the Dynamo (it might be an alternator, I really don't know and don't have it to hand) may have fallen off and been replaced by this alternator? I don't know why it would have been changed for this cobbled up affair I've got now.
  12. Ron

My only experience is with my own Trabi, it was originally a 6v car, and still has the regulator fitted to the bulkhead beside the battery. I see yours is still there, is it wired up? Mine has been retro fitted with the 12v ebza electronic ignition, a small black plastic case houses the electronics at the top of the inner wing on the other (passenger) side.

There is a metal cover plate on the end of the crank behind the alternator, you'll either have a set of points in there, or a simple pick-up if you've got ebza. Is your battery 12v? Someone who knows more than me will be along soon to confirm I'm sure, and there's pros and cons to both systems. The main thing is it's running, so you've a good start!

I would heartily recommend NGK BRH6 spark plugs if you're needing any, they certainly made a big difference to mine, combined with Bosch coils.
  13. RHFabrications

The battery is 12v and that's about as much as I know. I might wander up to the workshop later this week if I get the chance and have a bit more of an in depth look at it.
  14. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

One of the lights is damaged at the bottom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. RHFabrications

Could you let me know how much it'd cost to post to BN16 in England please? I'd definitely be interested in the unbroken one thank you.

I'm guessing this is the electronic ignition unit then?

[​IMG]

Here's the cobbled up alternator.. Seems like it's running the wrong way too?

[​IMG]

And here's what should have been there, I guess?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It says 12v on it, would this car have been 12v to start with? I'm not interested in originality per se, but I want it to be reliable and work properly, so I'm just trying to get down to the basics of why things have been done and what the best course of action to take is.

And this is the regulator that's been mentioned? Doesn't appear to be wired to anything at all.

[​IMG]
  16. Ron

aye, your set up looks the same as mine Russ. My old regulator just sits there doing nothing too, but I can't bring myself to remove it. There will be a wee black box on the inner wing near the coils housing the electronics. I couldn't say for certain without looking, but I think I have the same alternator too...
  17. RHFabrications

Today I got the car up in the air and had a good look at it. Making a new alternator mount is easy and I'll get that made up this week if I can, but I'll keep the one that's fitted. It's putting out 14v ish so it's working ok and that's good enough for me.

As per usual it needs more welding than it looked like initially (as always) but that's my job so I'm not too daunted (I do hate laying under cars welding them though). I made up the new sections for the drip rail under the bonnet and when I get it in the workshop next week I'll fizz them on.

I need to change the CV gaiters, how do I set about getting the driveshafts out? Ie, what's the obvious or preferred way to get them out?

Has anybody got a set of those rear camber adjustment blocks they could measure for me? I'll get my boss to make me some rather than buy them if I can avoid it.
  18. RHFabrications

I refitted the alternator today, the bracket that'd been cobbled up meant that the belt was being stretched and it had no adjustment. I made a new bracket only slightly differently and now even with an un-stretched new belt it fits fine. It does make me wonder why somebody would spend time with metal and a welder just like I did then still make something that doesn't work? I also fitted new reverse and fog lamps to the rear panel. I've started making some sill stands too. Still looking for a pair of fixed back seats, at hopefully a bargain price. I'm sure something will come up. Wondering what colour to paint the roof, back panel, boot lid and roof? Maybe a bright orange or green?
  19. schwalbe

schwalbe Newbie

Hi

I was alerted to this by a fellow IFA Club member. I could use the seats, in contrast to you, mine has some pseudo-rally type seats in that I want to change for originals.

Where are you as posting is clearly not an option?

Cheers

John
  20. RHFabrications

Hello, the seats are pretty tatty and the passenger one has been dismantled by the previous owner but I'd be only too happy to see them go to a good home. I'm in West Sussex.