1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

Try www.anyvan.com or shipley.com they can be amazingly cheap for shifting large/bulky parcels
  2. RHFabrications

RHFabrications Loyal Comrade

Not much to report today but here's some photos of the before/after alt mount and the new aux lamps on the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, should it have that second handle on the boot lid? It looks a bit odd and I'm probably going to remove it but I did wonder it its original.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  3. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Don't think so Russ, mine doesn't nor any other saloons I've seen. The Kombi has a handle like that on the back hatch. Have you decided on a colour scheme yet?
  4. RHFabrications

I haven't yet, I might just go to the paint shop and see what they've already got mixed up, there's always a selection where customers have ordered it then never collected, pot luck but most of it will stay black.

With the electronic ignition unit on the end of the crank (brace yourself for some highly technical terminology here) the bit that spins around with the crank, on my car, flops around and is very sloppy. Is this just 'how they all are' or has mine got something worn out somewhere? Also, I've had a look at the steering rack, specifically the bush where the column enters the rack. It appears very worn as there's a lot of play in it. What would this part be called so I can order it from a German language parts supplier? Is it easy to remove or have I got to get the whole rack out?

I've ordered the steel for my roll cage too, that'll be fun to make although only a hoop and rear legs for now, which is more than I need but seeing how easy it looks to put a Trabi on its roof it might be a handy addition.

Thanks in advance.

Russ
  5. schwalbe

schwalbe Newbie

Thanks to Mike B I have a reasonable quote to deliver, how much are you looking for? Any more detailed photos of the seats?
    Cheers

John
  6. RHFabrications

Not currently but I'll get some tomorrow if you like? They aren't in very good order the passenger seat has been dismantled and the drivers side is tatty and dog eared, but (transport aside) they're free and if they help somebody out that's be grand. Do you need the rear seat too?
  7. schwalbe

schwalbe Newbie

Thanks, some photos would be good.

Cheers

John
  8. RHFabrications

Yup I forgot to take some photographs yesterday but I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Thanks to Razi I have some new rear light lenses to fit. Much obliged, thank you very much, A big help!
  9. RHFabrications

I wanted some fixed back seats but finding a pair in good condition cheap enough proved a bit difficult, but I managed to get hold of these Mazda mx5 seats this week for a mere £30. They'll certainly do at that price. I started makings frame to mount them on last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New rear lights look a great deal nicer too. Plenty of holes in the back panel to weld up at some point.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  10. RHFabrications

[​IMG]
  11. Ron

Seats look good Russ, cheers for updating. I'm sure there's a few of us watching your build avidly! They are fancy tail lights are they not? Are they clear indicator lenses with orange bulbs? Look good anyway. Also love your steering wheel.

Anyway, keep up the good work fella.
  12. RHFabrications

Thanks Ron. I can't wait to get it going and start competing in it. I've got too many projects on as it is but I would like to get hold of another Trabi when my 2cv is finished so I can do a full bare shell build up instead of doing a basic fix-it-and-go job as with this one. This is really for my own personal amusement and so I can get to know my way around them.

So, yesterday's little lunchtime project is the 'skid lever'. If you've ever watched any of Ken Blocks gymkhana videos you'll see that instead of a handbrake between the seats they use a hydraulic lever up by the steering wheel. It's purely to lock the rear wheels for handbrake turns. I realise that I've yet to delve into anything mechanical on the car and that this is probably a bit early on in the project for stuff like this but it's the fun stuff that keeps me motivated! It's basically some bits out of the scrap bin along with a bmx handlebar grip and some bearings out of a skateboard wheel. It'll be mounted so it sits near the gear lever and will poke through a hole in the central stiffening rib if the floor. Whilst most of these are hydraulic for simplicity mine will attach to the existing handbrake cable enabling the handbrake to be kept for parking and MOT reasons.

[​IMG]

In less exciting news, but perhaps more importantly I've finished welding the rusted parts, it's not a job I'm proud of (I like to spot weld new panels as per factory, not 'patch' repairs like I've done here) but it's certainly better than it was.
  13. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

A "Magic Wand" in a Trabant? You hero!
    MX5 seats look ace in there too.
  14. RHFabrications

Today: More non-essential work in my lunch hour. I've made the door cards as the originals were well past it. I've used my favourite tools in my tool box, my QMax cutters and my hole swage set in some aluminium sheet I've had my eye on at work for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before anybody asks, no they probably aren't any lighter than the originals, no the holes do absolutely nothing other than look cool and yes I probably should concentrate on more important aspects of the car before trivial bits like this...
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  15. RHFabrications

Door panels fitted.

[​IMG]

Seat subframe welded in, seats fitted. Harnesses next. I have left the original seat mounts to secure a fire extinguisher to each side.

[​IMG]

It could really do with a front bumper of some description, can you still get the front spoilers such as I e seen in the old ddr racing videos?

[​IMG]
  16. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

17. RHFabrications

Thanks for the link, that's just what I'm after although they're a bit pricey for my liking. I'll see what Father Christmas brings me, if not I'll try and make an aluminium one at work.
  18. RHFabrications

No work on the rally car for a couple of weeks as things have gone mad at my job and I've had no spare time. However, I've bought one of these for my youngest daughter for Christmas. Has anybody else got one?

[​IMG]
  19. Ron

Ha, that's awesome... wish I'd seen those a few years ago! Even the wheels are authentic!