1. Cessnapilot89

Cessnapilot89 Puttering Along

How often do you guys recommending the changing of the oil on the Trabant? Any special oils that should be used or avoided?
  2. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Erm… about the same time as the coolant swap.

It's a 2 stroke engine, there's no oil to change.

The oil goes in with the gas, in a 50:1 ratio. It gets burnt with the fuel. Any 2 stroke oil should do. There's no sump for oil to go into, or change.

Sparkplugs, air cleaners, that's another story.
  3. Cessnapilot89

Roger that, the only experience I have had with a two stroke was a bizarre motor bike my friend had that had crankcase oil.
  4. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

That was probably gearbox oil. On many smaller motorbikes/mopeds the gearbox and engine block and gearbox is one unit, that cant be taken apart. :)
    There is gearbox oil in a Trabi, and if you have no idea how old it is you should check it. ;)
  5. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

You should replace it every 30'000 km or 4 years. The level has to be checked every 5000 km. See chapter 3, "care and maintenance" in the manual ;)

Make sure, you use HLP68 (yes, it's low-viscous hydraulic oil) as intended by the designers. For emergency, SAE80 will do either - or ATF like some do in the US.

Attached Files:

6. Cessnapilot89

Is there anywhere I Can find the Trabant operating handbook ?
  7. Keri

Keri Leader

8. phi

phi Loyal Comrade

vdubbin and Cessnapilot89 like this.
  9. Cessnapilot89

Thank you! It is greatly appreciated
  10. Cessnapilot89

Looks like July 27th the p50 should be home.
  11. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

It's also posted under the reference section of this forum if you ever need it for quick reference. Also, there is a gentleman named Lew Schnur who has some translated copies in English. He sold me mine for $20 USD shipped from the UK