1. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

The "Parade of Trabants" is fast approaching and I am ready to go. Just wanted to get some input on securing the Trabant to the trailer and what others have found to be the best way to do it. Since there don't seem to be any standard attachment points on the car I was wondering what is the best way strap everything down.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Not to hijack your thread, just adding too it but will these cars fit on a standard U-Haul trailer?
  3. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

So apparently I posted this thread twice... not sure how that happened. I know I have seen pictures on the forum of someone using the standard Uhaul car hauler. I do think the clearances were pretty close as far as where the tires sit on the trailer though.
  4. turbofiat124

They did not happen to have a car hauler on their lot but I got to looking at one of their 6X12 box trailers and I believe a Trabant would barely fit.

If you can trust this website's data, this is the same website that said to put 35 PSI in the tires instead of 21 PSI as the owner's manual says to!

http://www.trabant.ca/specs.htm

Trabant: Length: 11.5', Width: 4.9', Height: 4.7'

[​IMG]

http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/RV/

Two issues. U-Haul is calling this trailer a 6X12 but the dimensions on their website says the actual interior width is 5' wide. That's not going to allow any room to open the door to get out of the car. If the trailer was in fact 6' wide, I know I could open the door even 6" and squeeze my skinny butt out of the car.

The height should be no issue. I might have to park the car with the front bumper touching the front of the trailer.

The other problem is ramps. Technically I don't think U-Haul recommends hauling a car inside one of these box trailers. I've got a set of aluminum ramps for a lawnmower/ATV but I'm not sure what they are rated at weight wise. I don't know if the trailer is low enough to use car ramps. I suppose I could fabricate some ramps out of wood planks.
  5. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

Here is the other thread where they talk about using Uhauls. I was looking at going that route too but we ended up buying a tandem axle utility trailer big enough to haul the Trabi on. I think someone on the other thread said they used the 6x12 box truck but it is an extremely tight fit. I probably wouldn't be comfortable doing it myself. The car hauler from Uhaul should work from what I have seen. Just may need to be very careful in lining it up with the ramps. Good luck what ever you decide.
  6. turbofiat124

Yeah that car hauler looks exactly like the one I was going to rent last year.

These car haulers must be in high demand or short supply because none of the U-Haul dealers seem to have any on their lots. You have to tell them in advance when you are going to need one, then they find you one from another dealer.

This week while I am off, I'm going to see if they still have that 6X12 box trailer and have them open it up and actually see if I can drive my car into one and have enough room to open the door and get out. Usually these trailers have ramps to load stuff up with a 2 wheel dolly but have no idea if it's wide enough for a car. That maybe the kicker. Trying to figure out how to get the car into one. But they may have some extra ramps.

Technically I don't think U-Haul recommends hauling a car in a box trailer but the guy at the dealer said he didn't care what I put in it!

My theory is the reason the outside measures 6' but the interior says 5' is there are just beams inside the container every foot or so for strength and and may not be completely 5' wide on the inside.
  7. Comrade Norwegen

Comrade Norwegen Puttering Along

I strapped mine down by the wheels, with special straps on a car trailer.
    E.G.
    [​IMG]