1. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

The "Parade of Trabants" is fast approaching and I am ready to go. Just wanted to get some input on securing the Trabant to the trailer and what others have found to be the best way to do it. Since there don't seem to be any standard attachment points on the car I was wondering what is the best way strap everything down.
  2. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Through the A arm of the front and rear axles. Make sure to avoid the break lines. 4 straps, one per axle. Front 2 straps should pull slightly towards the front of the trailer, and the rear 2 straps should pull slightly to the rear of the trailer. Make sure the weight of the car is towards the tounge of the trailer and not on the back of the trailer. If you pull the Trabant on the trailer front facing, that won't be a problem since all the weight is towards the front of the car.
  3. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Ive used a Uhaul car hauler with the standard included tie down straps around the front tires. Run a safety chain around the tie down point under the front, and one around the axle on the rear. Holds very well
  4. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

In the uk you can get ratchet straps with slings that go over each wheel to fix it to a trailer.
  5. Caleb

Caleb Loyal Comrade

My biggest worry is catching the brake line on one of the rear points. So I will try to be extra careful there. Does anyone use axle straps or just wrap the ratchet strap around?

My dad and I had an idea about putting I-bolts in the front end through the cross brace for the engine mount. Take a look and tell me what you all think. The idea is to hook ratchet straps into each bolt and cross them. So the driver side will be strapped to the passenger side anchor on the trailer and vice versa.

Attached Files:

6. 1983JZR3W

1983JZR3W Puttering Along

I have been towing street rods and antique cars on both open and in enclosed trailers for over 40 years with no problems so far. Criss crossing the tow straps is a good idea and the eye bolts should work as long as the mounting surface is strong enough. One thing I definitely suggest is keep your car in neutral and do not set the parking brake. No matter how secure the straps are, there will always be some movement both up and down and back and forth. You do not want the slight movement working against your parking brake or transmission gears. Just some food for thought and what has worked for me over the years.