1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please email justin@trabantforums.com
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

What do you guys do. I have been turning the petcock off every time I turn the car off. Would I be better off leaving it on of the car will just be parked for a couple hours?

I am asking because my P50 is having a tough time starting after I park it and turn the petcock off. Seems to do better after it sits for a while and lets a little fuel fill the carb bowl.
  2. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

i always turn off the petcock as if i dont my car leaves its mark even though both the carb and petcock have been rebuilt,it sounds like youve a partual blockage in your carb or petcock
  3. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

It doesn't take long to do a flow check of the fuel. Bear in mind it is gravity fed and any dirt in the system will upset proper fuel supply. Check the filter in the petcock and any other filters in the pipeline. Apparently paper filters should not be used as they slow up the flow too much. Check the float for leaks and also the correct float level.
  4. kev the builder

How's your trabi doing Steve after your john o groats to lands end drive any problems?
  5. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Hi Kev. Fritz did really well except for a broken speedo cable. On the way back though from the south, going through the Cotswolds the engine just died as though someone turned the ignition off. I tested the spark and fuel flow and all was good. Also checked fuses and they were fine. Started the engine and it ran fine all the way home. So it's a mystery. Loose wire maybe but I haven't found it yet.
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  6. kev the builder

That was good then and people say trabis are unreliable,it shows that a properly maintained one can go anywhere just at a slower pace than modern car
  7. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

That's totally right and was the main challenge to prove doubters wrong that a Trabant maybe is NOT the worst car ever made and NOT unreliable. I can think of cars I have known in the past that I would not have attempted to do the trip in. And we also made a good sum of money for charity.
  8. kev the builder

My wife still thinks my trabis the worst thing ever and says she would rather walk than go in it and keeps saying I should sell it
  9. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Puttering Along

I have done all the maintenance on mine that should of been done by the many previous owners, and it runs great. Done 200 mile run out one evening and not a problem. The worst car i have had was a BMW 520. It was awful. I never trusted that car for any distance.
  10. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

i turn mine off every time before i park it will also pee a bit on the ground if i dont
  11. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I have one of those electo-solenoid shut-off valves connected to the ignition coil and no petcock valve on mine and mine still leaks a few drops of fuel after I shut the engine off. I think what fuel is in the line between the valve and carburetor just overflows out of the overflow port on the elbow once the flow bowel is full.

I even have a new float valve. Well it was new 4 years ago anyway...
    Steve likes this.
  12. kev the builder

i also had a new float valve and petcock seal 2 years ago it stopped leaking for maybe 6-8 weeks then started leaking again i turn the fuel off as i approach my drive and this helps,i think of it as its marking its territory as a warning to other cars
    Ron, turbofiat124 and Steve like this.