1. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

So most of you guys don't know this, but I am a HUGE fan of the TV Show 'Dallas'. I'm a fan for a number of reasons, 1. I like it, 2. I live in Texas, 3. I was a kid when the show was on (actually the first season was before I was born) but I remember my parents rushing home to make sure they could watch it. I always liked the show, knew about it, etc.

In the last couple years, TNT has done a re-boot of the show, for those of you who haven't seen the new 'Dallas', it is picking up ~20 years later from the end of the original series. Until Larry Hagman (J.R. Ewing) passed away, it consisted and still consists of a lot of the original cast including Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Ken Kercheval and more. The main premise takes place around J.R. and Bobby's kids, John Ross and Christopher and a lot of reference is made to the old show. With that being said, Aly0124 and myself have been watching, in order all of the original 'Dallas' episodes to be caught up with ALL of them before the re-boot season 3 kicks off in Feb. this year.

So you might be asking, OK, what does this have to do with the Cold War. Well I will tell you, Aly0124 found this the other day and I had to share:

Dallas and the Cold War[edit]

Dallas is alleged to have helped partially hasten the downfall of the Eastern Bloc country of Romania during the final years of the Cold War.
    Romanian President Nicolae Ceaușescu allowed airings of Dallas, one of the few Western shows allowed to be aired in the Communist state during the 1980s. The belief that the show would be seen as anti-capitalistic backfired on the regime as Romanian citizens desired and sought the luxurious lifestyle seen in the show, compared to the despotic situation in Romania at the time. Shortly after the execution of Ceaușescu and his wife on Christmas Day 1989, the pilot episode of Dallas, which had been edited for a sex scence, was one of the first Western Shows aired on the newly liberated Romanian TV.

I thought you all might find this interesting.
    What you should take from this is a super Capitalistic show helped end the Cold War (in Romania at least) and if you were a fan of the original 'Dallas' series, you MUST watch the new ones. They are very well done in a great and true 'Dallas' style.

To show you guys how much we like the show I posted a couple pics below.

[​IMG]
    Famed SouthFork Ranch March 2013

[​IMG]
    Proof I was there and it wasn't just a picture I stole from Google.

[​IMG]
    We were there around the same time Larry Hagman (J.R. Ewing) passed away and they were doing a special Sunset Toast Tribute to him.
  2. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

No doubt, western media penetration influenced the people of the east bloc. My personal theory is they had less media "savvy" than those of us who spent our whole lives in front of the tv set watching American tv shows. I clearly remember visiting East Germany in 1986 and having someone on a train overhear my group speaking English, and asking excitedly, "Do you know Colt Seavers?" American TV was/is quite popular in Germany and most East Germans could receive at least one West German network. Many people looked upon drama programming as a true image of what America was/is like. I think this is an issue even in Western Europe, but that is a topic for another day.
  3. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Someone in East Germany once told me I looked like Larry Hagman. They did see it somehow. RIP
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  4. Wartburg353W

But did they say "Larry Hagman" or name some character he played as if it were a real person there on the tube? BTW you do sort of in a way look like him at least I can see it. Especially compared to a bunch of East Germans.
    Justin likes this.
  5. Justin

Which Larry Hagman do you look like? Maj. Nelson, J.R. Ewing (circa 1980) or J.R. Ewing (circa 2011)
  6. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

That is a good question. I guess I looked like Maj. Nelson more then. Probably look like a younger John Cleese now. I was told that too once. Someone said I looked like Jim Carey and then I thought I must just act like all of these people in some way. Not sure any of that was a compliment or not.
  7. Justin

Again, being a compliment would depend on which version of that person(s) they were referring too. Hopefully for the Jim Carey, they weren't saying you were like Ace Ventura which may just be a polite way of saying you were talking out of your ass :)

I could see the similarities between Larry Hagman and John Cleese though.....
  8. Wartburg353W

Well Eric, were you wearing a Stetson and a leisure suit, or an Air Force uniform at the time? :)
    Justin likes this.
  9. Justin

If you go to the SouthFork Ranch you can actually buy a Larry Hagman signature Stetson, or maybe it's JR Ewing Signature Stetson, pretty affordable as far as those hats go.

Although, since I've moved to Texas, I have absolutely embraced the cowboy boots and the hats, I've never had boots before, now I'm up to 3 pairs and 2 cowboy hats.

If I ever leave Texas, I am still going to sport the boots.
  10. Wartburg353W

cleese.jpg And the reason people say Eric looks like John Cleese is because he is very tall and this is how he has to prepare himself to get into his Trabant:
    Justin likes this.
  11. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

I wasn't wearing either but have been known to wear an Air Force uniform, back then anyway.
  12. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

When in Rome. I understand.
    Justin likes this.
  13. Justin

Good way to pick up the ladies :cool:
    trabant601 likes this.
  14. trabant601

trabant601 Loyal Comrade

Oh, I was supposed to be wearing the uniform, and I don't suppose it hurt any in that regard, depending on who my audience was. I did better in NVA uniform at halloween parties to tell you too much.
    Justin likes this.
  15. Aaron

Aaron Leader

Dallas and Ronald Reagan's toughness toward the Soviets was the motivation for my wife to come to the United States. She was a teenager when Dallas was big there in the late 80s/early 90s. Her uncles wedding was interrupted for 2 hours while the who shot JR (or in Hungarian his name was "Jockey") season finale ran.

We visited texas a few years ago and stopped by south fork...I was the only American on the tour.. haha
    Justin likes this.