I managed to fix two problems with my Trabant. The first, and most serious was that the car refused to pull in full throttle/full load situations. This made the 250km drive home after buying the car. through hilly and tunneled Norway somewhat more stressful than it should have been. I ended up at 30km/h in second through the longest of the tunnels and on the way up Hemsedalfjellet. The problem as I suspected was with the carburettor. My hunch was a sticking needle valve which turned out to be one of a number of problems. 1) The spring loaded needle valve could be made to stick when facing down 2) The float level, measured upside down, was set for a needle valve without a spring. Once I replaced the needle valve the float level corrected itself. 3) There was only one gasket between the carb and the engine block together with some blue gasket sealant. That explained why the front of the engine was covered in a thin layer of oil from the fuel mixture. 4) The air bypass hose was a bit loose at one end. A jubilee clip fixed that problem. The carb looked like a reconditioned unit, all the screws and nuts had paint dabbed on them so it was a suprise to find that the float level was wrong. Although the carb looked clean inside I took out all the jets I could find and cleaned everything again. I had already checked the petrol tank, the bowl under the fuel tank and the fuel flow at the carb end and all seemed good. The result on the first test run was that the car accelerated to 90km/h and was still accelerating when I lifted off. Before I fixed the carb the car it would not go faster than 75km/h on the same stretch of road before the engine started cutting out. So that is that sorted. I have to say that getting the carb off is a bit of a s@d of a job reminiscent of changing the engine mountings on an old Mini. In both cases you have very limited access to the nuts and can only get a 6th of a turn each time before you have to removed the spanner.The Trabant tricks you into thinking it will be an easy job as you can see the carb mounting nuts where as you can't see the Mini engine mounting nuts. However, the Trabant heater shroud near the carb seems to be made from old razor blades, with numerous sharp edges to catch your knuckles and hands on. If I ever remove the exhaust manifold I will take a file to that shroud and try and make it more hand friendly. The second problem was that the electric windscreen washer did not work. I discovered that the motor was getting 6v when the switch was pressed so it had to be some problem related to the motor. My initial solution was to replaced the IFA unit with a generic washer bottle with 12v motor from Biltema. This worked fine but I then decided that evening that I would take a look at the IFA unit, without much hope of fixing it. I discovered that you can easily dismantle the 6v motor, so I did. I bent the brushes to make sure they were making contact and reassembled the motor. It ran with a little mechanical noise, the bearings were just the plastic ends of the motor. A drop of lock oil on each end solved that. I put the motor back in the pump unit and then discovered that it would not turn the plastic pump. So motor off again and I freed up the plastic pump and all worked. So I removed the Biltema 12v unit and put back the original 6v unit. Both seem to give out the same amount of water I guess that is progress for you!