1. VolksPolizei

VolksPolizei Newbie

Hello. My names Luke, forum name is VolksPolizei (surprised it wasn't taken yet!) and I'm 18. I mainly collect military stuff from East Germany. I have it set on my profile as living in DDR, but I really live in the United States of America (North Carolina to be precise.) and I have never saw a Trabant in my life at all. I'm fascinated with the Volkspolizei Trabants. They are really beautiful.
  2. TNTrabi

TNTrabi Lord Trabi Forum Donor

You should come to DC on November 7 for the trabant rally. It is always a good time and lots of cars there. There is one that has been made into a police car too.
  3. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

That's me, and it's a loose version of the Polizei, really just having fun with it. I also collect a lot of DDR stuff as my wife grew up there, and her parents still live there. They actually just sent me a bunch of pendants, jacket, canteen, I bought a few hats.

[​IMG]
    That was from last years Trabant Parade...
  4. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

As far as I am aware, there was never a VoPo Trabant. They're kinda just for fun I guess.
  5. VolksPolizei

VolksPolizei Newbie

I have saw some photos of some. Some are in Russia, and some are in Germany with the old Volkspolizei logos and all that. :( If I ever get a Trabant, I plan on making it in to a VoPo Trabant.

I might have to do that then, I saw that they have a few other events too. What else happens at the rally?
  6. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Volks Polizei trabant's did not exist!
    The most VoPo cars in the DDR are Wartburg,Lada and Wolga.
    Trabant is to slow for a pursuit :)
  7. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

8. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Last picture in "museum" cars have West-German painting.
    Why? doors and hood's are green.
    East -German police has a green ribbon arround car.
    Underside green and top white like picture above!
    Second picture is not a real VoPo Trabant,I know this vehicle (Holland) because on hood there is no volkspolizei discription like first picture.

PS:Last picture there is near VW bus a Fiat 500 with an Mercedes grille.....has to be fun!
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  9. Wartburg353W

Yeah those are all recent cars made for shows. I don't think you will find a picture of a Trabant in police colors from actual DDR times. The last time this issue came up, we eventually found one of a kombi being used to transport a police dog, but that was as close as it got.
  10. VolksPolizei

VolksPolizei Newbie

Looks like I may have to get a Lada... :D

Hopefully, that would be okay to still be at the Parade in the far future ;)
  11. VolksPolizei

VolksPolizei Newbie

Sorry to double post, but I've heard that some Trabants were used pre-wall collapse and post-wall collapse for Feurwehr (fire dept) services.

[​IMG]

Don't really see why, as some people say it is slow, but based on the equipment it has. Could be just a supply vehicle to help vehicles who already arrived on scene or a chiefs vehicle.
  12. Wartburg353W

Yup that one's in use right now as a mobile pumper. Nice find! It's a 1989 and is used to fight fires as well as to pump out flooded basements in its seaside town. Note the knobby tires for driving on sand. The same fire department also has other cool vintage vehicles in service. Check out their website: http://www.ffw-graal-mueritz.de/40511/home.html
  13. notabmw1

notabmw1 Smoking Along

Well I may be putting up the Polizei Trabi up for sale soon, not sure if now, or wait till spring. Sad times.
  14. VolksPolizei

VolksPolizei Newbie

I'm going to try to purchase a Lada and equip it to be Volkspolizei style.
    Wartburg353W likes this.
  15. Wartburg353W

Sorry to hear that and I hope things get better for you soon. Nice seeing you at the Parade.
    Jeff