1. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

I found this car today on Craigslist:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4728227070.html

Someone needs to save this one. It is the only Wartburg 311 Camping car I have ever seen in the US. Whoever ends up with this one will have a lot of $$$ into it, but it would sure be neat.
  2. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I'm a fan of the spelling, but a bigger fan of this line:

"taking offers on the car mite trade but be real its not cheap we check with div they said that there had only been 5 of these ever lis in the us"

Doesn't mean expensive either. Likely he has some unrealistic number in mind and he'll have it for quite some time.
  3. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Loyal Comrade

had tp put it up before they delete the post, and it goes as follow(s);

" this is a rear barn fine it is a 58 last time it was taged was 1960 it has been sitting under a shed this car was built in Germany so far Ive not been able to fined anymore of these taking offers on the car mite trade but be real its not cheap we check with div they said that there had only been 5 of these ever lis in the us looking to trade to a old trucl 1960 older "

besides that, the car will need a bit of work and part(s) in order to get it back on the road .... =0/

Attached Files:

4. Justin

I think English may be a second language.
  5. jfreakofkorn

or that they have spent some serious time alone .......
    Justin likes this.
  6. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Not to get off the subject but were these older Wartburg 311s brought into the United States by an importer on the East coast? A fellow Yugo enthusiast I bought some parts from had one on his website "Misfit toys" or something who did road rallys and modified one using parts from other cars. I think he used a Subaru engine. It was on Ebay about a year or two ago.

I ran into a guy (where else, PetSmart) who was eyeballing my car when I came out and he had no idea what it was. But then mentioned when he was a kid growing up in Ohio, they had an old Wartburg (did not know the model but assuming it was a 311) on their farm he used to give hell doing doughnuts and such in the cattle fields. He did not even know where it was built!

There just seems to be a lot more 311s than 353s in the US for some reason. Maybe these were sold in West Germany and brought over by servicemen? That's how most Fiat 500s and 600s made it over here

That was no big deal back in the 50s and 60s to get a car title.

I'm not 100% certain how they were transported here. I heard on warships if there was extra space in the belly of the beast...
  7. jfreakofkorn

i have sent him an email regarding the car ( or what is left of it ) and still no reply

i guess he scraped it ( which would be really uncool and unfortunate ) or its sold or thrown it the back somewhere =0/

would be a fun little project ( if he isnt asking for a kidney or a limb for it ) and would be nice to have saved it from neglect, IMO
  8. Justin

There is an old 311 pick up about an hour from me....Would need total and complete restoration....I never go up that way, but if anyone is every interested and comes down here, we'll head up.
  9. JASONCHAD

I emailed too. He wants $2200. I offered $500. He said he would keep it and build a hot rod out of it.

The 311 pickup would be a sweet ride.
  10. jfreakofkorn

what part(s) are offered w/ the car ( did he mention any thing ) ....???
  11. JASONCHAD

He said he had the grill, headlights and motor...sounded pretty complete actually. Just to far away and to much of a project for me right now. I would guess he would take less than the $2,200 he is asking.
  12. JASONCHAD

Here is the seller's direct email if anyone wants to talk to him about the car:

gpal50@hotmail.com
  13. jfreakofkorn

that car is some distance away from me for me to make a good offer i will tell you now

and not to mention truck and trailer in order in retrieving it ...

i would probably hit him w/ an offer of $ 501,00 =0)
  14. Hoopie

Hoopie Newbie

Hey guys I'm from Cincinnati and I ended up with this Wartburg. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it but I may have some parts if you know of a need for them.
    Justin likes this.
  15. Wartburg353W

Wartburg353W Loyal Comrade

Good to hear from you, nice to know where that ended up. I had also contacted the seller but it just seemed a bit too far gone for me. It is awesomely rare in the States however so let us know what ends up happening with it. If your idea was parting it out, I think the only guy who might be interested is Wartburg Victor. Have you found his website yet? I have an '81 Wartburg in about that bad of shape so if you find someone capable of repairing it let me know how that goes too.
  16. Hoopie

Hoopie Newbie

I did talked with Victor, nice guy. I don't thing I'll try to restore it to original condition though. It is so rare I can't find parts, plus they're not worth anything restored. I believe it will get a new drive train and maintain it's eye catching patina for now. I do like the Trabant, interesting little car. Thanks.
  17. JASONCHAD

Keep us posted on what you end up doing with the car. Glad to hear it will have a second life!
  18. Justin

We can find you parts for it :)
  19. Mark Burr

Mark Burr Newbie

Jason,
    is there some way to get hold of you directly... ? I don't see a way to send PM's on this site.. I have some questions concerning importing a veh and could use a bit of guidance
    Mark
  20. Justin

@Mark Burr - Click on Jason's name then click "Start Conversation". That's how you PM.