1. Justin

Justin Owner Administrator

I'm going to post this as a sticky so it can be a forever ongoing thread.

I recently got the replacement rings in to replace the ones that I broke a couple weeks ago. I got them in and the car put back together.

I will hopefully be getting the engine back in the car this weekend.
  2. Last two months.

New headlamps and associated wiring, as I have not used 'original part' lamps.
    New tail lamp lenses fitted.
    New front indicators.
    Replaced (with reconditioned) one king-pin.
    Renewed rear brake pipes (flexible hoses)
    Reconditioned both front wheel cylinders.
    Repaired front brakes (off side) after the retaining spring pinged off and got mangled up.
    Replaced one rear suspension mounting bush.
    Replaced hazard lamp switch.
    repaired fog lamp switch (switch failed to illuminate) and re-wired partly.
    Removed and cleared corrosion from the fuse box.
    Replaced both cylinder foot gaskets (after they both failed).
    New hubcaps.
    Removed. cleaned, lacquered and remounted front grille.

Not due much work now for a while :)
  3. Hanni

Hanni Puttering Along

As English is only my second language, I'm not terribly familiar with all the technical terms of a car engine yet (I'm not even good with car engines at all yet! Learning as I go...), so I'll describe what I can.

Yesterday my father and I adjusted *something* so that the engine now runs smoother, and became less prone to shut down anytime I didn't have my foot on the gas pedal.

This morning I fixed a rear light, simply by wiggling the lightbulb around a bit. :)
  4. Keri

Keri Leader

Last two months: Everything but the kitchen sink. Motor and brake overhauls, you name it. :D

Last week: the Drehzahlmesser project.

Yesterday: the 5,000km service including the dreaded spring greasing. :eek:

@ Hanni
    1- probably the Idle Speed adjustment, in American English jargon.
    2- wiggling the bulb around will probably not work for long. Better to remove the bulb and clean the corrosion from the bulb and socket. Maybe apply some dielectric grease to retard further corrosion.
  5. aardvark64

aardvark64 Puttering Along

On the Kübel:
    - Put authentic wing mirrors on at last;
    - Put breather into lid of fuel tank;
    - Cleaned the fuel tap;
    - Swapped out dynamo and starter motor;
    - Fitted new windscreen wiper motor and switch;
    - Topped up the battery.

Still to do:
    - Strip and refurbish the carburettor;
    (will also strip and refurbish the fuel tap while I'm at it 'cos the fuel tank is drained at this point);
    - re-spray in authentic NVA green.

On the Limo:
    - New coils, spark plugs and spark leads.

Still to do:
    - Strip and refurbish the carburettor ;
    - (will also strip and refurbish the fuel tap while I'm at it 'cos the fuel tank is drained at this point);
    - Replace torn seat covers (have been waiting 3 years for the right covers to come up).

... and then drive them both!

Best wishes, Colin
  6. Hanni

Hanni Puttering Along

Last wednesday I took my Trabi to my father's workshop, and we fixed a few things.

- Fixed a short circuit so that all lights now work perfectly.
    - Added anti-rust solution to a few corroded areas.
    - Fixed the light switch (the button was loose and constantly fell off during rides).

Thank you!
    I did as you suggested, and the light haven't given me any more trouble. :)
  7. Justin

I have my engine back in new carb on and the engine cover back on it as well.

I just drained and replaced my transmission fluid. Did a "dry" compression test.

I cleaned the under dash shelf very good and put it back in the car.

I have to finish putting hoses and tubes on it and get a new battery but I am not close to being able to set timing and hopefully drive the car.
  8. RHFabrications

RHFabrications Loyal Comrade

[​IMG]

I bought mine, and trailered it home. Drove a couple of laps of the farm with no brakes, laughing like a maniac before deciding it might be a good idea to park it up and go to the pub for a celebratory drink. I'll start a thread in the '601' section and update it as I progress with getting it back on the road. I'm Absolutely overjoyed about finally owning one. :D
  9. Keri

Keri Leader

Hooray! Another Trabi finds its Human Companion! :D
    I'm delighted for you both, but just who do you think "Owns" who?

Over here, I've recently patched up a broken rear training arm mount and made it past 15,000km.
    Yesterday, we went to a costume party with some of my friends.
    Trabis are the Best Car Ever for going to a party of any sort, especially when they're happily transporting monsters, gypsies and communists!

Although my Mechanical Comrade decided to allow me to come with as it drives around the Chicago area last year, it waited until Mayday this year to really get going.
    If I can make it to 16,000km, that'll be a nice 10,000 miles since the 1st of May.

Let's toast the new happy couple! :lol:
    Cheers! Bottoms Up!, Prost! ? За Здорове! ?
  10. reg tubby

reg tubby Newbie

I've just started mine for the first time since Oktober and gave it a spin round the garden. MOT soon so plenty of fettling on the horizon.

In other news on Sunday I had another look at the P600 barn find I'm soon to pick up and had a very heavy heart contemplating the work ahead.
    Justin likes this.
  11. Justin

Don't get a heavy heart with the work, it's a labour of love. At the end you can look at it and know that you saved it and brought it back to life.
  12. Justin

While my engine is out of the car......again.....I decided to install the large, round, yellowish in color fog lights I got for the car from a friend who couldn't use them on his Trabi. I know they are from Germany, but I am unsure if they were a factory option, I have seen several pictures of Trabi's with similar fog lights.

Anyway, they were missing brackets and need to be re-wired (which was easy), but since they have that yellow tint and the car is yellow, they are going to look very nice with the car being yellow too. I fabricated brackets, have all the wires ran and the switch installed, so now it is just a matter of mounting them.

I am hoping to get this done tonight or tomorrow and will get pictures up as soon as I do. :)
  13. What have I done recently ? Well... Since the major brakes overhaul in October, not much has gone wrong. I re-sprayed a headlight rim, but that came lose while I was reversing up a footpath to get out of a gridlocked car-park, and fell in the road so needs another hit with the spray-paint. I had an incident with the rear lights failing to operate after a particularly heavy load shifted in the boot and damaged the loom, so that needed a repair... But other than that, and the regular weekly and monthl routine stuff with grease gun and oily rag... Not a lot.

I foresee some repairs need doing pre-MOT in May. There's excessive play in the near side king-pin, and I think maybe some new brake shoes front off side would be smart... The 'cleaned up' pair that were soaked in brake fluid just don't have the friction they once had.

Thoughts turned to getting a Stainless exhaust system too... Is that worth it I wonder ?
  14. Justin

I think it would be worth it, not only for durability, but also for aesthetics
  15. Keri

Keri Leader

I deal with SS exhaust systems every day!
    Stainless probably won't be much use to a Trabi as the corrosion is slowed by the oil deposits and eventually the rear muffler and pipe will tend to clog.
    The clogging will tend to occur at the coolest part of the exhaust as the deposits condense.
    It does look nicer though, so that could be a good reason to use SS.

When SS exhausts came out in the late '80s and early '90s we had a few problems with them:
    1- The welds tended to crack
    2- Some engineers decided to use much thinner SS, thinking it was stronger and wouldn't corrode. Those systems actually "rusted out" faster than plain steel ones!

It seems that "Stainless" is relative. SS exhausts do eventually rust through. Just more slowly.
  16. Justin

I was able to finally rewire the DDR Fog lights I got from Chris in North Carolina over a year ago. I then mounted them and got the switch installed, still need to finish grounding them and running the power wire cleanly, but I took a picture of my newly installed fog lights! (See Below)

Also in anticipation of John Short getting my aftermarket ground plate working again (Thank you John Short) and my engine back, I decided to wash and wax my Trabi. I will get the gear box drained and fluid changed here soon and clean the interior in the next week or so! I can't wait to get it back on the road again.

Anyway, below is the pictures of a clean and freshly waxed Trabi with new fog lights (Ignore my messy garage please :) ) It's my MG's fault.
    [​IMG]
    Keri likes this.
  17. Keri

Keri Leader

You call THAT "Messy"?

Hah! Amateur! I can still see the floor!

:p
    Justin likes this.
  18. Justin

Haha well to be honest Keri, normally it is a lot worst than that. I have been "trying" the organize it a little more because I get tired of hunting for things I can't remember where I set them :)
  19. Justin

So John Short finished and shipped back my engine, so special thanks to him. John shipped it out on Friday via Greyhound and it arrived yesterday so I ran down to get it on my lunch.

I was able to get it installed last night and just have the rear motor/transmission mount to secure. After that I need to hook up the ignition and then just wait for the carb to get here (it was shipped separately via USPS).

Once I get the carb hooked up I should be good to go. I know John bench tested and tidied up a couple things and fine tuned the carb, so it should be pretty much plug and play.

Hopefully in a couple days I'll be driving it.
  20. Justin

So the engine and transmission and everything are in, secured and ready to go, just waiting on USPS to get my carb here. They post office is starting to be a real problem here. The last 3 packages I've had come through them have been extremely delayed, damaged or both. Nevertheless, hopefully it will arrive soon.

In the meantime, I decided I need a radio so I found an OLD MGB radio out of a late 60's early 70's. It is AM/FM, and looks like it goes nicely with the car. Here are a couple pics of it on and off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    turbofiat124 likes this.