1. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Well today during greasing I noticed that my CV boots need replacing, I've half-convinced Mrs Mac that a new (stainless!) exhaust system is required, so that'll be a nice package from TW!

Then, in preparation for the four car shows I'm booked into this summer, I fitted Rosie's latest bit of bling, a 1960's (I think) Butlin's Car Club badge. I like it, a pal at work dug it out of his garage for me, and although not DDR, Rosie seems to suit it:

WP_20150809_14_09_26_Pro - Copy.jpg

It's a rather striking lady riding a dolphin...? Anyone seen one before?

WP_20150809_14_09_13_Pro - Copy.jpg

Anyway, hope you all had a good weekend, enjoy the rest of it! Ron.
  2. Ron

And, just ordered the stainless exhaust! Also a fitting kit for same, manifold gaskets, a litre of transmission fluid (quite fancy changing it to see what it looks like after 6000kms if nothing else) and a pair of CV boots.

Phew! 380 quid just like that, no delivery charge on orders over 350 euros, so that's something! Can't wait now...
  3. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

20150814_0914211.JPG 20150814_0931211.JPG 20150814_0858161.JPG 20150814_0855551.JPG

Changed gasket from carburator.
    It was a little leaking fuel and after that checking idle speed of engine.
  4. Ron

S0,

got my lovely new stainless exhaust fitted, and went for a test run. I'm sure pick up is better, she seemed to fly up the hill from the house! Also, the car started instantly, and I mean instantly! It never takes long, but it seemed like one revolution and she was away?! A good morning's tinkering, and one happy human companion!

WP_20150822_12_49_19_Pro - Copy.jpg

mmmmmmm........ stainless............

WP_20150822_12_49_51_Pro - Copy.jpg

It did make me realise how scruffy my underbonnet area is mind, I am painfully aware that you all have much cleaner Trabi's than mine... Maybe a winter stripdown is in order.

WP_20150822_12_50_26_Pro - Copy.jpg

Anyways, have a good weekend all, Ron.
    michiel76 likes this.
  5. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Hey Ron,nice job you did with exhaust pipe!
    Also stainless steel,will never rotten again....;-)
    Cleaning under the hood is also a nice job and looks also better when everything is fresh painted.
    Ron likes this.
  6. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

20150822_152058 1.JPG 20150822_152115 1.JPG

Yesterday I discovered under floor mats some rust spots.
    Today the weather was good and take out al carpets in the front and "painting" spots with linseed oil.
    This oil will penetrate into rust and will stop it.
    I used RX5 and when it is dry I will use RX10 for finishing.
    It is a black sort of tar to seal so no oxigen can enter rust.
  7. Jon Kjaerulff

Jon Kjaerulff Newbie

After way too long letting her sit in the barn, I took Ms. 601 S DeLuxe for a scenic tour of Gig Harbor, Washington, USA, where I live. A great day for a Trabi drive!
    Trabi-in-Gig-Harbor-4.png Trabi-in-Gig-Harbor-3.png Trabi-in-Gig-Harbor-2.png Trabi-in-Gig-Harbor-1.png
  8. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Fantastic pictures,great!
    Ride was also great I think....
  9. Jon Kjaerulff

Jon Kjaerulff Newbie

Driving the Trabi is always a good time! Mostly back roads - totally in its element!
  10. Ron

Yep, lovely pictures Jon, cheers for putting them up, always nice to see a Trabi out and about!
  11. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Hi Jon,

I agree with you,Trabi driving is always fun!
    But pictures are also nice to see!
    I did never know that a lot of Trabi's "moved" to America to have a second life overthere!

Regards,
  12. JASONCHAD

JASONCHAD Trabi Meister Forum Donor

Looks good Jon, now you just need to get the Barkas out!
  13. Ron

Hello all,

We attended the Fortrose and Rosemarkie Vintage Rally, on the Black Isle (I actually purchased Rosie from Rosemarkie about six years ago). It was a lovely drive up, the countryside is beautiful thereabouts, the sea and the mountains make every view stunning. Anyway, it was a 140 mile round trip from us, we took the family wagon too, as I don't like to carry rear passengers in Rosie with no seatbelts.

Here's some pics, there was a great selection of classics, and a very friendly atmosphere...

Nice Saab...

WP_20150829_13_24_49_Pro - Copy.jpg

And this Citroen Dyane was perfect, and for sale... tempting!

WP_20150829_13_20_34_Pro - Copy.jpg

We just loved this little Austin Seven special...

WP_20150829_13_19_24_Pro - Copy.jpg

A very proud me!

WP_20150829_13_10_32_Pro - Copy.jpg

Pit crew were on hand.

WP_20150829_13_09_42_Pro - Copy.jpg

I have just worked out the fuel economy for the trip, Rosie managed 53 miles to the gallon and never missed a beat, lovely day.

Cheers all, hope all's well with you and yours.
    michiel76 likes this.
  14. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

53 mpg ? That's 64 mpg (US)! WTF! The best I've ever got was 35 mpg or 29 mpg (UK).
  15. Ron

I know! I double checked too...
  16. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

Were you coasting downhill most of the way?

Years ago when I belonged to the Fiat club, we had our event in the middle of nowhere in West Virginia (sorry VADOC, it was Canaan Valley). I remember filling up my Spider about three times on the way up (300 miles). On the way home I managed to make it over 200 miles and still had gas in my tank. Seems like it was in Abingdon, Virginia which was 50 miles from my house.

My speedometer is messed up so I can't quote the actual MPG but it was like 20 to 25 mpg going up and 40 to 45 mpg coming home.

It occurred to me it was the elevation that was the factor. Canaan valley is at 3200 feet above sea level. I live at 1200 feet above sea level. So for about 200 miles I was coasting 2000 feet mostly downhill!
  17. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Awesome story and pictures!
    Ron likes this.
  18. Ron

I live at about 600 feet above sea level, and the rally was on the coast, so it was downhill on the way there, but not to the extent your talking there! I have had these high mpg figures before, but to be honest, never made much of them assuming I must be working something out wrongly.

There is obviously some room for error when reading the dipstick, and I am getting the mileage from Google maps, so maybe there is error there too. However, I did 140 miles with 24 litres to start, and she's now sitting in the same spot (ie. at the same angle!), with 12 litres left. I converted (http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm) 12 litres to 2.64 UK gallons... 140/2.64 = 53.03 mpg.

The car was running without my toolkit in the back (it was loaded into the family bus), so it was just me and my boy. She has a week-old exhaust system, and freshly changed gearbox oil. The tyres are Vredestein Quadtrac (mud and snow tyres, wouldn't have thought they were low resistance?), running at 30 psi. The sparkplugs are NGK BH6S's (which I would thoroughly recommend btw!), with new Bosch coils and the electronic ignition.

I run Rosie at 55mph or thereabouts, and try to plan ahead when driving. Basically, even if I'm slightly out, she's doing good eh?!
  19. Ron

Thanks Michiel!
  20. Ron