1. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

I am probably getting somewhere in the region of 45 mpg in my trabi. That's mixed driving ,A roads and town.
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I typically rev the engine until it stalls before shifting, 20 kph, 50 kph, 70 kph... So maybe I could try shifting at lower RPMs. I was running 30 PSI in my Trabant tires until I found out the actual pressure should be 21 PSI. I've been running 25 PSI and the ride is not as harsh.

One time on the way to the beach I tried an experiment on my Subaru. The tires were just about worn out and I was going to replace them before winter. I over inflated them from 30 PSI to 45 PSI (maximum rating on the tire). I typically fill up at the 320 mile mark after getting off the Interstate. I've always got around 27 mpg (US) while going to the beach. On this particular trip I ended up getting 31 mpg (US). That's the most I've ever gotten out of my Subaru. The ride was harsh!

But I don't know if wearing out a set of tires would offset the cost of gasoline.

I was really surprised how accurate the speedometer is on a Trabant. I used Google Maps to estimate the distance between my house and the county courthouse. It said it was 23 miles and after doing the math the odometer was spot on. But I have the correct size tires. I found running different size tires will through the accuracy off quite a bit. So I'm wondering if people who are seeing these high mileage figures are running the correct size tires.

I'm also going by those portable radar things the police set up to test the accuracy of my speedometers on my cars.
  3. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

That's a fair point about the tyre size Turbo, but I've gone by the map mileage not the odo. The change up speeds you're using would seem harsh in Rosie, but every Trabi could be different as far as I know!
  4. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

My fuel economy improved after fitting the Mikuni carburetor,as well as improvement in performance.
  5. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

bobine2.jpg bobine1.jpg

Give him more "power".....;-)
    Ron likes this.
  6. Ron

I like that...

I'm going to do it with Irn Bru cans, she'll probably break the land speed record!
  7. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Thnx!
    Yes Irn Bru will be nice,show picture when finish!
  8. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

9. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Also great job!
  10. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

right.jpg left.jpg siren.JPG
    Last weekend I have put in my 601 an other "gadget".
    It is an old German police siren....from the '80s!
    This grey box is a relais who send to low tone horn and hi tone horn signal.
  11. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Reminds me i have to go over my wiring harness. fusebox is getting hot when driving in the rain. :(
    Also got an extra fusebox so i can get rid of all those extra fuses dagnling here and there. :)
    Keri likes this.
  12. Ron

Hello all,

Another car show for us today, at Grantown on Spey's 'Motormania'. It was great weather, and there was an unbelievable 485 entries! They shut the town to normal traffic at 10 in the morning, and it becomes an eclectic mix of classics thereafter.

Here's some pics to show the variety of cars there...

Nice Ferrari in the 'supercar' row...

DSC03025 - Copy.JPG

I can't remember what the two - tone blue and white car was, maybe some of you American types will recognise it? The Mk2 Jaguar was lovely.

WP_20150906_11_41_41_Pro - Copy.jpg

Rosie was in good company with the DKW behind, it was a beautiful 1960 model. The owner loved the Trabi, and was showing me pictures of his trip to Zwickau (in his Deek), with plenty of Trabis in them.

WP_20150906_10_52_00_Pro - Copy.jpg

Ahead of Rosie, there was an MGB, a Lancia Fulvia coupe (stunning), and a favourite of mine, the NSU. It was in great condition and running it's original rotary engine. I know everyone says it, but it seemed light years ahead of it's time.

WP_20150906_12_40_25_Pro - Copy.jpg

I've backed out of a show in Perth next week due to work commitments, which is a shame because the rest of the Scottish Trabant population will be there (all four of them!). However, there is one more local show at Roseisle in a few weeks, which is my favourite show of all time... steam traction engine tug o' wars, classic cars and bikes galore! We're booked in and we can't wait...

Cheers all, hope you're all well.

Attached Files:

michiel76 likes this.
  13. Keri

Keri Leader

Honed cylinders with a proper rigid hone so as to true them up, and installed some new rings.

Less noisy!
  14. Ron

Well, not much happened today, except this...!

nearly there!.jpg

shortly followed by....THIS!

it's happened!.jpg

Exciting times indeed, I spent more time watching the odo than the road on the way home tonight! Who knows if it's Rosie's first time around the clock or not, but it's 8000 kms in my care and I am one happy man.

Here's to the next 100,000!

Cheers all, Ron.
    michiel76, Keri and Caleb like this.
  15. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Great Ron!!
    Keep on the good work!
    Maybe please Rosie with an additional wash or polishing,she deserves it.
    Ron likes this.
  16. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Did the exact same thing two days ago. :)
    Keri and Ron like this.
  17. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Arround the clock?
  18. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Yes. this speedometer is from my spares wreck, so it does not belong to the chassis, and i also put another engine in it, so only thing passing 100.000 is the speedometer. :)
    I have done about 24000 km in mine over the past two years. :)
  19. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Doesn't matter,funny thing is to see changing numbers from 99999 to 00000 ;-)
  20. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

funnily enough I was looking for a picture of my dash for another site, and found this:
    [​IMG]
    Ron, Keri and michiel76 like this.