1. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Have yesterday make one of his last rides of this year.
    Because autumn and winter will be insight soon so in a few days I will make him ready for dormancy.
    That means fill up fuel tank till fuel reaches fillercap (fueltank will not rust) and inflate tires for 0,5 bars up.
    Also make a walk arround with grease-gun to lubricate all joints and put 601 on axle stands!
  2. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Yesterday the mist on the windows was frozen, and road salt was spread out during the night, so today i parked it in a shipping conainer i bought to keep all that old stuff dry. :)
    [​IMG]Snapchat-6116877917878940998 by mati0921, on Flickr
    It taken a hit from a forklift in one corner, so i got it cheap to store the trabi and combi camp and most of my spare parts. :)
    [​IMG]Snapchat-652132173380096478 by mati0921, on Flickr
    When i am done with my tractor project i will take the tribi in the garage and get some of those problems fixed it developed over the summer. including a complete check of the wiring harness. :)
    [​IMG]Snapchat-7222950166836135798 by mati0921, on Flickr
    trabant601 and michiel76 like this.
  3. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I have been looking into buying a couple of decommissioned sea containers. I found a 40 footer on Ebay for $1600. Sounded like a good price until I asked the seller about how much it would cost to transport it to me 350 miles/560 km from Charleston (the coast). He told me he had some in Atlanta which was a bit closer but the cost of transporting it using one of those tilt bed trailers was going to cost $3000!! The cheaper method was to use a lift truck or a crane. Like who has a lift truck just capable of lifting a 15,000 lb sea container? I suppose I could rent one. I've driven a lift truck for 20 years here at work.

So far I have not found any local companies that sells these. We fill these containers at work and half of them should be sold for scrape metal they are in such bad condition.

What kind of tractor is that? I really need to take the fenders and hood off my Dad's 58 Ford 800 and repaint it one of these days.
  4. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

It's a Volvo bm 320 :)
    My granddad bought it by "accident" (no one in the family have any uses for a tractor) and after it had been sitting for 7 years i asked him if i could fix it up for him. :)
  5. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

I did not know Volvo made tractors!

My Dad bought his 58 Ford 800 some 30+ years ago. This is not it. But what it would look like if repainted:

[​IMG]

some 30+ years ago which replaced his Ford 8N.

This is what it probably looked like:

[​IMG]

Then eventually Ford stopped making tractors in the United States and imported them from their UK facility which were painted blue.

We have a small farm and used to raise cattle, and crops like tobacco, pumpkins, corn, etc. He pretty much gave up on being a hobby farmer.

Anymore now it is just used to mow fields.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  6. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Yes,Volvo made tractors.
    Here in Holland in the 80' Volvo BM and Volvo BM Valmet was populair!
  7. RHFabrications

RHFabrications Loyal Comrade

Does it stay dry in the container? We use one at work but it suffers with a lot of condensation in the cold weather.

Tractor looks good though. Must be very satisfying to restore.
  8. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

I need to make some ventilation in the container to avoid condensation. :)
    I found a small fan with a solar panel on it. it should move enough air to keep it dry. :)
  9. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

cont.jpg cont1.jpg

You can also do it this way.
    Simple solution and ventilated!
  10. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

There are two of those on it, not sure if it's enough. checked today at 12 o'clock and there was no moistur on the inside. weather was cloudy and about 10 deg. C outside. i will keep an eye on it and see how bad it is. :)
  11. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

I also do not know if it is enough but as you say,keep an eye on it!
    Good solution for parking the 601!
  12. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

13. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

wow mati, you got your money's worth out of that one!
  14. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

It's not even worn out... the reason is that someone lowered the car a bit at some point. not a problem with the low profile summer tires, but i put slightly taller wintertires on it, which rubbed the sidewall against the fender until it was too thin and gave up. :)
    Two new tires and 4 original springs is plan for tomorrow. :D
  15. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Well, at least you're alive to tell the story... did it let go at speed?
  16. vdubbin

vdubbin Loyal Comrade

Lucky escape dude!
  17. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

My mum was driving it to work on those old ww2 concrete roads the germans left here. they are not exactly smooth, so she actually did not notice at first until the rumble became a bit more than normal. it was the right rear tire. if it was a front tire it might have been different. :)
    Ron likes this.
  18. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

So....your mum was driving at that moment?!?
  19. mati0921

mati0921 Loyal Comrade

Yes, she called me.

Her: Uhm, i think i might have desstroyed your car...

Me: whats wrong?

Her: A tire looks like it came off the rim...

Yes, it sure has... :)

got some goodyear ultragrip on it, and put them up front, those tires are great. it sticks 100 times better in the cornerrs now. before i had some cheap summer tires on it. they would let go at 20 km/h in a roundabout. ultragrip stays there at 45 km/h. :D
  20. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Luckely she did not hurt!