1. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

On an annoying note i was at the show and hadn't locked one of the doors and while my back was turned some little brat climbed in. He was old enough to know better and his dad was right beside him and said nothing
  2. Keri

Keri Leader

Big tail fins and motors and chrome is over rated. If I do route 66 again it will be by Trabant.
    tricken and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  3. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

I'm with you, Keri. And we'll save a lot of money on gas.
  4. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

route 66 cruiseing would be fun
    dont mind us we are 2 stroking
  5. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Getting impatient to get on the road now. It's two weeks since I sent the NOVA forms to the HMRC to see if any VAT is payable. The DVLA won't play ball and give me a number plate till HMRC are through deciding. Huh, pen pushers!

Anyway, playing with the Trabi on the drive, I switched on the wipers and the linkage to the right hand wiper popped off. I thought I would take out the right hand spindle, but on trying to unscrew the 13mm nut holding the wiper arm on, it just goes round and round taking the spindle with it. At first it was really stiff but now is less so. I looked at the manual but can't see just how the spindle assembly works. Can anyone explain what goes where in the spindle assembly. Most other cars I have owned had splined spindle shafts, but the Trabi ones are very thin and don't appear to have splines.
  6. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

The wipers are a bit odd, they have a tapered nut? that clamps unto a plain shaft . You are meant to undo the 13mm nut and then they should pull off. In practice though they often wont come off . I have used a two legged puller in past which worked well
  7. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

I would suggest putting vice grips on the end of the spindle inside the car to remove the 13mm nut and then borrowing a puller
  8. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

You can buy a wiper arm puller for around £5 they work good without mullering the arm or spindle
  9. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

After a night's soak in penetrating oil, the wiper nut and arm came off it's spindle with a little turning with a spanner, then the spindle would not push through it's locating tube because of a weld and washer. I don't think Zwickau wanted you to dismantle this, but I had other ideas. I wanted to lubricate it properly and so I ground off the weld and washer with a dremel tool and pushed the spindle through. All was then clear on how this is meant to assemble. Trouble is with mine, the nut was refusing to budge off the tapered threaded gadget that clamps up the spindle and the wiper arm. I ended up cutting the nut off the threads with the dremel tool. trabiwiper.jpg trabiwiper2.jpg

Then, I searched around in my boxes of nuts, bolts and stuff saved over 40 years, stuff which you save but almost never use, for a nut to fit the coarse thread on the tapered gadget thingy. And after only a few minutes found one a perfect fit. So drilled a hole through the spindle for a split pin to stop it moving up and down in its tube, and then clamped it all up with the nut and gadget and now all is well.
  10. Bill Overbaugh

Bill Overbaugh King Trabi Administrator Forum Donor

Fired the car up today for the first time of the year! Looking forward to getting some miles on this summer.
  11. tricken

tricken Loyal Comrade

drove the 601 on thursday to a cruise in,
    friday took the 601 to a small car show and took home best special interest car
    saturday took the 601 to cars and coffee

the p50 was very sad but it did get a short short drive
    BillB and RogerDerSchrauber like this.
  12. michiel76

michiel76 Loyal Comrade

Take one in parts....

green1.jpg green2.jpg
    Keri likes this.
  13. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Finally got the date related reg. No. for my car from DVLA. It's JBW802Y. Which gives it as early 1983. Make what you can of that! OZY from the end maybe. Now to get the plates made up and finally get on the road all legal.
  14. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

It could be worse I got UNZ for my simson moped . It had been off the road so long i couldn't get back the original english reg so ended up with a nasty modern northern irish plate . It was really a good thing the last owner wanted the english reg as a personalised plate when he couldn't get it he lost interest in the moped and sold it cheap
  15. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Loyal Comrade

In TN where there is no MOT or sniff test other than Nashville and Memphis, trying to register a vehicle is a pain. I think what it all boils down to is the state and county thinks that someone is going to cheat them out of dollar when it comes to paying the initial sales tax on something. They want to make sure they get their fair share of taxes. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is safe for public roads.

I'm going to try to apply for a title for my Kinetic moped. The plan is to mount a 110cc Lifan engine on it. The gutless 50cc engine is not suitable for the terrain of East Tennessee. Mopeds maybe good in urban areas with flat land.

This thing is going to be illegal has hell but as long as it has a tag on it, the police won't hassle me over it. And has long as I keep it under 125 ccs I won't need a motorcycle licence.

[​IMG]

The trouble is when this moped was purchased new, it didn't have to be registered. TN now requires anything with a VIN plate has to be registered. From the way the law states, a motorized bicycle is a bicycle with a motor kit installed on and does not have to be registered (because it lacks a VIN). But there is still some debate over whether a moped is a motorized bicycle because it has pedals. A Moped is considered somewhat of a motorcycle and has to be registered. This thing is 21 years old so it doesn't fall under the 30 year exception law. However there is a clause that says if the value is less than $3000 they allow exceptions. But there is a bunch of BS I have to go through. it's not a simple matter of running a check on the VIN to find out if it's stolen. It's all about the state thinking I'm trying to cheat them out of dollar on the 4% sales tax on it.

Below is an application to fill out. I'm thinking if I submit some photos of what the bike looked like when I got it, a photo of the VIN plate and a printout of the NADA ($400 is considered high value) that might be good enough.

The other idea is to get my co-worker who lives in Virginia to register it for me then sign off on the title. Then I take it to my DMV and register it like I did my Trabant with a Florida title. As long as the title is valid, no questions asked.

Apparently Virginia is not as bad as Tennessee when it comes to obtaining a title for something that did not come with any documentation.

From my understanding it's much easier to register something in the UK than some US states without any proof of sale or documentation. The opposite comes with obtaining an MOT. Because there is no MOT in allot of states!

The weird thing is I can register and tag a side by side in TN but my co-worker cannot in Virginia. As long as I have a title.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1998/Kinetic/TFR-50cc/Values

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/f1310401Fill-in.pdf
  16. turbofiat124

That's crazy! All because of a specific looking number plate?
  17. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

British people will pay thousands ( even tens of thousands ) for a number plate that can spell their name or initials or other words
  18. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Yeah . I want TRA881. Anyone got it on an old moped?. I'll give 50 pounds for it.
  19. mbeamish

mbeamish Loyal Comrade

One of the more expensive plates is PEN 15 . I think last it was for sale it was over 100k :)
  20. turbofiat124

When I was in the UK, I picked up a bunch of British car magazines to bring back home. In the back of all of these were these advertised for "Cherished number plates".
    I soon figured it out people were selling their number plates. One guy said his buddy paid out the nose for an old number plate that read "PEN1S". Apparently this plate was issues decades ago before people put two and two together.

I don't know if this is an urban legend or not but about all states kick out the numbers "666". Tennessee for example may issue a plate that reads "EDT 665" and "EDT 667".

At first I didn't know what to make of Cherished number plates. Since in almost every US state you can pay an extra free to have a licence plate customized to whatever you want it to say. As long as it's not already taken or vulgar. Believe it or not they have committees where people scrutinize applications to determine if they indicate something vulgar. I never could justify spending the extra money for one to be honest. The state and county want too much as it is. Now thanks to the idiots who run my county could not balance this year's budget, the county has raised the county wheel tax an additional $40. So on top of the state's $23 fee, the original $28 county tax, now it's going to cost me $91 a year to register my Subaru, van and my wife's car.

Allot of states issue new plates every few years where in the UK the plate stays with the car. There are some states that do not issue new plates unless the car is transferred to someone else. In TN, the plate belongs to the owner and does not stay with the car. So if I trade in cars I can transfer that licence plate to my new vehicle. With the exception of Antique auto plates. Those cannot be transferred and are destroyed and just issued new ones.

Like allot of states TN only issues one plate that goes on the rear so allot of people put European plates or logos of their favorite football teams, etc. on the front of their cars.

In TN, my antique auto plate is just a bunch of numbers. I could get a number plate that says Trabbi but nobody would have a clue what it means. So why bother. Most of the personalized plates I see make no sense to begin with.

[​IMG]

I don't think I could have one made that says an antique auto plate that says "Trabbi" unless I buy one that I have to pay the registration and county wheel tax every year on. So the downside is the plate is dull looking but the upside is it's permanent and once I pay the $65 fee, I no longer have to get it renewed every year.

Concerning the moped. Once it becomes 25 years old I can get an antique motorcycle plate.