1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I've been meaning to de-carbonize the cylinder head and piston crown on mine. I thought I'd try this.

I considered resurfacing the head. I've done this on lawnmower heads. I'll mark the mating surface with a maker then take a piece of glass from an 8X10 picture frame and tape a piece of 220 grit sandpaper over the glass and rub in a circular motion until all the ink is gone.

Is this overkill?
  2. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

I had to order a set of H4s from the U.K. Shipping was around $20 but from Germany shipping was $60 (more than the headlights themselves)! Which is always the case.

Seems like the ones I bought off Ebay were listed for a Morris Minor!

H4s meant to replace cars with US sealed beams headlights won't fit the housings on European models. The alignment slots are different. Back when H4s were not yet approved for US roads, and were sold as "For off road use only", I have cut new alignment slots in the housings with a Dremel tool to make them fit. But for some reason I couldn't manage to get a set to fit my Trabant.

US cars have a ring with three screws that holds them in place. Where the Trabant uses the clamp and spring method.
  3. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

A couple of photos may help, Stu. This is how mine is plumbed. The gauge lights should increase as you use more fuel and go out as you back right off the gas. The fitment in the tank is just a vent pipe and goes to a T piece in the main supply pipe from petcock to flow meter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    IronJaw likes this.
  4. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

Thanks Steve, is that just a standard Banjo bolt in the vent then? Should the tank grave a threaded hole to receive it?
  5. Steve

Steve Loyal Comrade

Yes just use a banjo bolt to fit the thread in the tank.
  6. IronJaw

IronJaw Puttering Along

After a stressful week at work it was nice to spend the weekend messing with the Trabi. On Saturday morning I whizzed down to Cannock to meet Andy off here to get a few bits. Replacement Dash because mine had been butchered, Trim panels because mine are butchered ones and the all important ignition switch to replace the butchered one!

The dash was a bit rusty and rough, so I wire wheeled it with my grinder and gave it several coats of primer followed by several coats of satin black. It came up like new, and looks great in the car.

The ignition switch was a good experience. I spent some time translating my wiring diagram to work out what goes where and was pleased to get the parking lights working again in the process. I then went to screw it to the back of the lock and was pleased to find the two screws required were lying on the oddments shelf. It's all working great and the steering lock is functional too so now I've got two steering locks; the original and the stop lock. So much better than having an ignition dangling on wires under the dash.

I'll look at the trim panels as the week goes on, and I'm also hoping to find a few minutes to get a look at the brakes to see if I need shoes when I put my first order into Germany.

One last thing, I've got two random blue wires I don't know what they're for. One is connected to a flasher unit which I've pointed an arrow at in the picture and the other seems to come out of the left hand A pillar. If anyone has any idea what they are I'd love to know. Thanks!

Dash Small.jpg Small Dash 1.jpg Arrow.jpg
    Steve likes this.