1. In order to combat the SPAM challenges we have been facing, I have chosen for the registration of new forum members to be manually approved. If you are registering as a new member, please fill out your profile as much as your comfortable doing. By doing this it shows us that you are not a spammer and will ensure that you’re registered to the form quickly. Should you be denied by mistake, please reapply with a fully completed profile
  2. I have received a lot of messages asking about the future of the forums once my car sells. Well today it sold and will soon be on its way to its new home. With that said, for the forums, there is more information under 'Announcements" titled "Future of the Forums' you could also copy and paste this link: http://www.trabantforums.com/threads/future-of-the-forums-donations.1762/
  1. turbofiat124

turbofiat124 Premium Member Forum Donor

The cars in this video appear to be in good condition. Why are they being recycled at this stage in their life?

There is a junkyard I know the owner of. If he finds a car in good condition otherwise but with a bad engine or transmission and he has a wrecked one on his lot, he pulls the motor or transmission (usually both together) out of the wreck and sticks it in the one with the good body then sells it.

The only thing I can think of is these cars in this video have blown engines, bad transmissions which would cost more than the value of the car.

About 90% of the cars I see in junkyards have been involved in a major accident. I don't see too many that end up there due to a blown engine or transmission unless they are really roached out. Because all the junkyards have a good network, they can usually locate a good used engine or transmission pretty quick and have it shipped from one junkyard to another.

I know a Honda mechanic who buys good used engines from Japan. He says they are much cheaper than rebuilding one. He said something about the Japanese government thinks that once a car hits 60,000 miles it pollutes the atmosphere more or something. So they recycle the car but sends the engines to the United States where they live on in already high mileage vehicles.
  2. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

Maybe. They all look pretty clean and new. Maybe in a sweet spot where the car's value is falling but replacement parts aren't cheap yet. It's a disposable society. Owners probably didn't care to try to find a used replacement part. And once it's in BMW's hands, it probably is cheaper for them to recycle the car than fix it and try to sell it.

I would occasionally see a decent looking, even running car in the junk yard. Keys were in one once and I started it up. Could have driven it out of there if they didn't pack them in with a forklift. Being in New England, though, it's usually rust that kills them. Even if they look ok, the undercarriage might be gone.
  3. turbofiat124

As much as I love cars I found out the hard way trading late model cars in every few years is by far the biggest waste of money in America. My two daily drivers are a 2003 Subaru Baja and a 1998 Chevrolet full size van. As long as they keep running, I'm going to keep them. I'd rather invest my money in my classic cars and my house.

Ever since they started electr0-dipping (for lack of a better term) frames and body panels with primer, rust is no longer a big issue down here in the south. Since salt doesn't stay on the roads throughout the winter like it does up north. One big rainfall after a snow quickly washes the roads off.

Although the two things I found that will rust a car out in the south is mud/sand that builds up within the body panels and a scratches or body damage if not touched up with paint due to the rain and humidity. Mostly people with trucks who do allot of mud bogging or people who have unpaved driveways.

My van sits outside in the weather and has no rust. I routinely pressure wash the wheel wells and inside of the bumpers to make sure there is no dirt builtup. And keep it waxed and if there are any stone chips, quickly touch them up.

I knew a guy who's wife had a 1995 Saab 900. The engine had a rod knocking and a "new" engine was going to cost $5000. But the book value on the car was less than that. Seems like he had an issue finding a good used engine because this problem plagued this particular engine. I think he ended up selling it one of his friends who has a small Saab junkyard.

Back in the 1980s, the big thing to do with Jaguars with blown engines was to buy a kit and install a Chevrolet 350 V8 in it. I've seen a few of those knocking around.
  4. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

Agreed. I watch my friends and family buying new cars every handful of years. I spend a tenth the money on good used ones and keep them running easily for just as long. The rust always kills them, mechanically, they are fine. '03 Jetta TDI is my daily and a '91 F-250 IDI for backup and bad winter days.

I like to buy something with plentiful, cheap parts that's easy to work on and usually has a good online following so all the problems are figured out, fixed, and documented.

It's getting harder to find cars around here that meet the criteria. Newer cars have too much garbage in them they call "features". Cars even from '03 are getting too rusted out. Funnily, the Trabant is one of the most rust free cars I've ever had. :D Maybe tied with the Fiat.

My Jetta has good rust prevention, except no one checks/cleans the pocket behind the plastic inner wheel wells against the cowl which fills up with leaves and crud from the top and turns into wet mud and rots out the cowl and end of the rocker. Hopefully I can stop it before it rots inside the rocker. That partially killed my previous, older model Jetta (the dirt collecting in the back wheel well over the filler neck is what really did it in). Those had terrible rust prevention.
  5. turbofiat124

One of the engineers who works at my plant previously worked at a paper mill in Maine before they shut the mill down. He actually lived in Maine all his life. One day he was telling me he had to replace the transmission pan on his Jeep which has maybe 5 years old. He said it was rusted out and leaking fluid! The transmission pan on my 98 Chevy pan still has the original zinc coating!

I always wondered if I had to live in the salt belt, if it was possible to take a 10 year old car with no rust and coat the underbelly, wheel wells with that truck bed coating stuff. Remove the inside front plastic wheel liners, coat back in there and coat the suspension parts except for the calipers, rotors and pads with this stuff. Of course not the exhaust system!

Not only that but the body panels as well and even inside the door jams.

And use this as a winter time vehicle.
  6. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

My previous Jetta had a factory undercoating. The failure there is that it's exposed to damage by rocks and sand spray and debris in the road which scratches, chips, or cracks the coating. Then moister gets in and gets trapped in there. You have no idea how bad the rust is until you start scraping off all the undercoating. Usually turns out, all you had left was undercoating. o_O
  7. Andrewwoey

Andrewwoey Loyal Comrade

Breakers prices are not cheap. A car sold broken for parts is worth more to them, than the car that is on the road.

Andy.
  8. turbofiat124

I just remembered something.

Years ago that same guy who owned that junkyard had a Chevrolet Cobalt on his yard he bought at an auction and there was nothing wrong with it. I think the car was less than 5 years old. He said he was going to break the car because he could make money on just selling the motor or transmission.

I actually bought one of these Chevy Cobalts for my wife. They were not a bad car but had a horrible resale value.

The car was a 2007 model which sold for around $15,000 new. I bought it in 2008 with 17,000 miles on it from a Toyota dealership for $10,000. She drove the car for a couple of years and by that time it had about 60,000 miles on it. I ended up selling it for $6,000.

I think one reason this model had such a poor resale value was because around 2008, gasoline spiked to around $4.30 per gallon and the only vehicles people were buying were small cars. So the market was flooded with small compact cars after a couple of years. This was the only model GM was really selling at the time.

Just recently Ford announced it was discontinuing all passenger cars except for the Mustang because the price of gasoline had dropped so people were buying trucks, crossovers and SUVs. The pickup truck based Econoline van has been replaced with the Transit. Same vehicle built in Europe only built here. But the only people buying full size vans these days are contractors. Not many people buy them for personal use these days.

My guess is if gasoline does spike again, their backup plan is to import the Focus, Fiesta and whatever else from Europe to fill the void.

Americans seem to have a knee-jerk reaction on what they buy simply based on the price of petrol. Not taking into account that trading in a vehicle for a newer one that get's better gas mileage, the savings on fuel does not outweigh the loss in trade-in value.

My 20 year old 5.7 liter V8 Chevy van get's horrible gas mileage but I'm not making payments on it and the cost of buying something more fuel efficient would cost more than what I pay for in fuel. Plus I couldn't haul seven people around and tow a car with a compact car. My next new vehicle will be a Ford Transit.
  9. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

Do the us ford transhits use the same engines as those in Europe?which are mostly 2.0 litre turbo diesels in front wheel drive format
  10. turbofiat124

According to Ford's website engine options for the North American market are:

3.7L V6
    3.5L V6 EcoBoost (turbo?)
    3.2L I-5 Turbo Diesel

Looks like V8s are no longer an option.

Looks like the only transmission option is their 6 speed automatics. It would be cool if they sold a 5 speed version. Most people would rather have an automatic when it comes to having to drive in the city with stop and go traffic.

I tend to shy away from buying cars with automatics because of reliability reasons. My wife's Nissan has a CVT transmission and I've heard really bad things about those. Especially Subaru CVTs.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit-cargo-van/features/power/?intcmp=vhp-featcta-power
  11. trondd

trondd Puttering Along

The full size Transit has an 3.2 L turbo diesel available (which isn't too bad for the US, bigger is better here :rolleyes:). The smaller Transit Connect only has a 2.4 L gas engine. The Connect , I think, is FWD, not sure about the full Transit. I think it's RWD.
  12. turbofiat124

Yeah the Transit Connect from Turkey is based on the Focus and is front wheel drive. I'd imagine the full size Transit is RWD. Since rear wheel drives are better at pulling with the cargo loaded down than a front wheel drive.

Did you know to get around the "chicken tax" those Connect models come with seats and windows installed? The ones that are not sold as passenger vehicles, Ford contracted a private company in Maryland which removes the seats and windows and installs metal panels in their place. They then shred the seats and windows and I guess the metal seat frames get's recycled but everything else ends up in a landfill.

So when it enters the US it's considered a car. Otherwise it would be considered a truck and the import duties would be higher.
  13. kev the builder

kev the builder Loyal Comrade

The transhit connect is 2.0litre diesil most full sized tranys are front drive in the uk