1. Jamie mac

Jamie mac Trabbi Hill Detector Forum Donor

I am very much in love with the Trabbi scene and love all the modified show cars out there on the old inter web.

Who on here has lowered or tuned etc their car?

J
  2. Austinpowers

Austinpowers Loyal Comrade

I am planing to lower my trabi soon. I will try to make up a lowering block for the front leaf spring and see if I can get some vw polo rear coil overs to fit. I have two spare engines ,and as one of them came in bits I will have a go at building withe some more power. At the moment the engine that's in it has a sports expansion box. Plus it is running with no headgasgets to increase compression. I have a some different carburetors lying around that i might try to fit. As is at the moment it goes very well and surprises a lot of people. It revs a lot better and the power is higher up the rev range.
    I have a friend in Hungary that has a fully race prepared car that has 54hp and really shifts. I would love his
    Engine in my trabi,but I don't think I could live with 8-9mpg lol.
  3. Jamie mac

Jamie mac Trabbi Hill Detector Forum Donor

cool. I am planning on a rebuild of my car and am thinking of lowering etc. In the winter i will do a Warburg engine conversion. Currently on the look for an engine to store away until the winter. also looking in to wheel options as i love the banded steel oem wheels but i have seen on on 15" BBS wheels and it looks great.
  4. Ron

Ron Premium Member Forum Donor

Hi all,

Did you have to prep the mating surfaces before running without gaskets AP? Or just took 'em out and tried it? Seems too easy! And do you think the sports expansion box makes much difference? I've not yet looked, but I expect the big two German suppliers sell those (I have a birthday coming up!)?

Mine is running really well just now, and the fuel economy can be amazing... varies with the weather/wind direction... so I wouldn't want to do too much, but more power is always irresistible.

Cheers then, Ron.
  5. Austinpowers

As far as the head gasgets go I just cleaned the surface throughly. I have been running it like this for nearly a year,
    And so far so good. Originally I fited new headgasgets as the old ones where weeping on cylinder. It wes ok for a while but then it did it agine. So changed the head for a spare one I had and fited upgraded headgasgets. All was well until it started to lose power again. At this point I lost my cool and ripped the top of agine, only to find out that the headgasget was ok.on closer inspection I found the expansion box had rusted through and that was what was coursing the power loss. I had no headgasgets left so I thought I would do what the Germans did for cheap increase.
    And the sports expansion box makes a big difference as the engine revs a lot better and the power band is higher up the Rev range. But it makes a lot more noise, not that I'm complaining as it sounds good.
    Ron likes this.
  6. Rich

Rich Puttering Along Forum Donor

Austin powers. Any chance of a link or pic of the expansion box please?
    And no head gasgets a la vw?

Rich
  7. Austinpowers

As you say like the old vw. The expansion box is the ones you see for sale on LDM or Trabantwelt. It looks like the stock front box but with one end pointed. I got mine from Trabantwelt for €74.90, you can buy a more exstream version but that's designed for a highly tuned engine. Plus you lose your heating with that set up.
    Ron likes this.
  8. Rich

Rich Puttering Along Forum Donor

Cheers.
  9. Zausel

Zausel Loyal Comrade

I'd love to know how this goes. My buddy did that and ended up going back to the original set up as it shook a lot and the engine didn't mate well with the transmission.